Hypercalcemia (Elevated Calcium Levels)

Please describe your experience with Hypercalcemia. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: arrow25, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I was advised at my last appointment that I had high calcium levels, hypercalcemia. He ordered some blood tests and urine to check my parathyroid and I did those today. I also had kidney stones 3 or 4 times in last 10 years, I have had ulcers, arthritis and a breast cancer scare in November 2016. In 1986 I was treated for my thyroid. I don’t know what I can do to lower my calcium, I am very active, 5 ft. 6 in., and 124 lb. I am Mexican American.

Comment from: GG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I was visiting my doctor, for a second option for Lupus. After suffering for weeks from chronic headaches, and fatigue, with some nausea, my major issue was the lack of energy and headaches I was suffering from. He took blood and advised me that my calcium levels were elevated as well as my white blood cell count. My thyroid levels were normal; Lupus was negative, so now I’m left seeking the cause of the condition. New symptoms have started to include, dizziness, rapid heartbeat. It feels like a panic attack. My muscles feel like jell-o sometimes. Wish me luck with finding the cause.

Comment from: mazza, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was diagnosed with hypercalcemia 15 years ago in a pre-op [appendicitis] blood test, and later had a parathyroid adenoma removed. Shortly after, I had a return of symptoms but had to fight for 11 years to be taken seriously. One registrar told me bluntly that it had to be postnatal depression! When the hypercalcemia was finally confirmed I was sent to another hospital which took 2 years to do more tests before finally offering me cinacalcet and another operation. Fine - but the surgeon removed a piece of lymph tissue not an adenoma. Now I await more cinacalcet except no one will fund it yet. More operations and tests on the way, including selective venous sampling, more CT scans and possible thoracic surgery for a misplaced parathyroid gland. I'm holding down a job despite ridiculous levels of symptoms, mostly stones, depression, confusion and utter exhaustion. My advice is fight early and fight hard if you just don't feel right, it doesn't get better. Research all the implications of elevated calcium, which can be very scary, but remember they don't apply in all cases. DO NOT accept a doctor telling you your result is "borderline high". It isn't normal to have hypercalcemia, get it checked out by a consultant. It could save your life.

Comment from: coookemstr, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I spent most of the month of July in the hospital. It started out with a 5mm kidney stone in the right kidney and I know have three to four more smaller ones in the same kidney. I am 52 year old male with no family history of kidney stones. On July 2, I was admitted to the hospital with severe tremors that escalated into full body convulsions. The doctor said that it might be conversion disorder with Hypercalcemia underlying. My Primary doctor disagrees with the conversion disorder as she has told me that my calcium levels are so high they are almost off the scale. I have also had three shoulder surgeries on the right shoulder due to excessive growth of bone spurs. I am currently being treated with Xanax three times a day to help control the tremors while I await further testing.

Comment from: calgal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

My internal medicine doctor diagnosed me with hypercalcemia this past week. I can't believe there's anything wrong because I feel as good as ever! My doctor kept asking if I had pain anywhere and did a bone scan, which showed nothing. Now my doctor's ordered a bone density test. I've been on lithium for 14 years or more and am wondering if that has anything to do with it. My doctor has mentioned surgery, but I'd like to know if there's cancer anywhere in my body that may be causing the high level. So, for now I feel fine with no symptoms, just a high calcium level, which I thought was to be desired. I hope everything will be ruled out before surgery for this.

Comment from: M R G, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I have been taking Coumadin for several years because I have A-fib. I have had a pacemaker now for two years. I have the A-fib under control but I still take the blood thinner. I have recently learned that Coumadin causes calcium to be deposited in my blood. That may be the calcium problem I am diagnosed with.

Comment from: cowlady917, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I am a 72 year old man who has this condition. I have had a nuclear parathyroid test and also an ultrasound on the parathyroid gland. Both tests came back normal. I have seen a specialist in this condition and she has no information either. I am at a loss as to what is causing my level of 10 to be so high. I am tired of seeing doctor after doctor and no answers.

Comment from: clancy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

For years I've been told I have too much calcium in my blood and urine but nothing has been done about it apart from being told not to take any vitamin supplements containing Vit D; are there any multi vitamins which do not contain D?

QUESTION

What is hemophilia? See Answer
Comment from: sonja, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

I am a caregiver to my spouse who is recovering from a bowel resection. She was back in the hospital for a yeast infection in the blood for three weeks. The hospital discharged her in an extremely weakened state. I was upset about this and thought it was from a medication they had been giving her. Two days later we get a call telling us that her calcium levels are critical. She can't walk or hardly hold a cup. She shakes and is very lethargic and is in bad shape due to this. Yet, the doctor isn't offering any suggestions as to what to do. Obviously, she was released with these high levels and the hospital did not catch this. It took four people to get her in the house because she was too weak to stand.

SLIDESHOW