Hyponatremia (Low Sodium)

What were the symptoms of your hyponatremia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I was drinking too much water due to thirst whilst I was waiting for test results for suspected diabetes insipidus. My water intake increased. I realized that I wasn't urinating as much as I should have. Suddenly, I felt nauseous and vomited up water. I felt weak and had a slight headache. Then I became disoriented. The ambulance paramedics arrived within 3 minutes of phoning them. By the time I got into the ambulance I was unconscious. I could hear voices in the emergency room but couldn't see anything. I had a seizure and brain scan. I was at a low of 111 sodium count when I was rushed to another hospital and admitted to the ICU for hyponatremia. It took more than a week to get my sodium and electrolyte returned to normal. It seems that lithium and Edronax caused my condition. My health is now back to normal.

Comment from: Bobby lee, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

I had been drinking bottled water all the time as I worked over a grounds department, and thought nothing of it. On Monday February 13th of this year I had blood work done because I was going to have a colonoscopy on the 17th of same week, so I drank water mostly and was flushing my system out. On Thursday day before colonoscopy, I went to pick up my 16 year old son. I had been having headaches and some concussion, and when I pulled into the parking lot I had a seizure. My foot hit the gas pedal and I went through the window, went up into the air, and then went through the window. Thank goodness no one was hurt but me! I was transported to a trauma unit, quit breathing, and had another seizure. I was put on ventilator, woke up and didn't remember anything. My blood sodium was at 112, when I had my second seizure. I am alright now, but too much water can cause hyponatremia and kill you.

Comment from: mountain girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I have been dealing with hyponatremia since 1993 and at first it was from drinking gallons of water. It has never stopped over time. Once I was at 125 although it took a week to get there. Eating salt doesn't fix it. I have to quit drinking to 4 cups per day or add electrolytes. I don't urinate in the day but watch out, at night I will be up 5 times. The only extremities that swell are my eyelids, gums, and belly. My blood sodium is always about 132, so it doesn't take much to spill the cart. I get tired, muscle fatigue, can't remember things, or slow reactions, I sit down and fall right to sleep. Many times I get cold too. I exercise weekly but I can't get my muscles to work at all. I get sore when I do. No one ever gives me a reason. I have inter-connective autoimmune hypothyroidism, and had hepatitis C which has been non-detectable due to Rebetron therapy since 2000. It started after I was diagnosed with it. Wish someone could help me. I go up and down the scale 6 lb at a time. My urine is nice colored so I can't be dehydrated. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Dwight, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I fainted while riding my bicycle and fell to the ground (of course). I was diagnosed with low electrolytes (hyponatremia).

Comment from: Gem, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have a continual low sodium in my tests. I have had no treatment for hyponatremia, and more blood tests. I bloat, have headaches, and urinate all night!

Comment from: Lorraine Foot, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had diabetes insipidus for 40 years, controlled well with DDAVP 2 mg, 2 to 3 a day as needed. The past two years I have had low sodium levels in my blood. I am being sent to an endocrinologist soon. My levels are 124, I was in hospital with trembling first when level went to 120 a few years ago!

Comment from: Wanderer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I suffered with extreme lethargy, impaired mental focus, impaired recall, and ataxia. Then upon admittance to the ER, I had diarrhea and was vomiting up bile. I'd had bad headaches the weeks preceding admittance. For several years prior to diagnosis, I also experienced increasingly worse depression-like symptoms and personality changes (for example, a tendency to view everything in a negative light and to not 'play well' with others). These mental-state problems went away when my sodium levels were restored.

Comment from: Mykl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

My symptoms were spasms/contractions and many small tremors in the muscles in my legs, arms, neck and fingers.

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

REFERENCE:

"Overview of the treatment of hyponatremia in adults"
UpToDate.com