Hypothyroidism

What was the treatment for your hypothyroidism? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: nicole, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 46 and have been tested every six months for my thyroid cause the levels are always a little high but my doctor did not want to put me on med cause it is something you are on for life. This last test she decided to put me on it. The med is Synthroid and I got the generic kind. She started me out on 50mg and I felt awful so I went to 25mg a day and trying to work up to 50mg but I get really dizzy and nervous and a headache has anyone had this problem.

Comment from: Anne Victoria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

For several years I have had some serious 'brain fog' that gave way mid-day to just plain fatigue. I described this to a number of doctors and added that I am irritable, and have lost weight and hair. An astute doctor started running thyroid tests three years ago. Then I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and no one wants to treat anything else. I finally succeeded in getting some lab tests done, but had to throw a fit with two doctors to get them. The T3 is consistently high, T4 is consistently low. TSH is all over the place and PTH is very high. I had to throw another fit to go somewhere to get another opinion. A thyroid scan shows 'many nodules' and the doctor called this reassuring. I am so frustrated and angry with these doctors I could throw a shoe. I will see the next doctor in about six weeks. Something is wrong and I just want them to find this and fix it!

Comment from: mimi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

Try Armour prescription. You won't regret it. Doctors wont tell you about it, but insist. It's the best solution out there.

Comment from: St Pete girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

Synthroid made me dizzy, nervous, and confused. I remained on it for about eight weeks and my thyroid level got worse the test number got higher meaning my thyroid was lower so I was advised to go off the medicine all together and I am waiting to see a specialist now. I am now 58 and believe I have been swinging from hypo to hyper for many years not knowing what was wrong. It's good to finally put a label on the strange changes in my body but now I need a med that will just keep me normal!

Comment from: Christy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I work construction. I lost all energy, gained weight, and had a strange feeling in my throat. I was told I had allergies. I even went to the ER later because I thought I was really bad off and they just asked me to leave. I found out later I have hypothyroidism.

Comment from: SC, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 29

I have just received the news that my thyroid gland has stopped working and one of my recent symptoms is numbness in my hands and arms when I wake up, as well as pins and needles. I think there must be a link. Still trying to gather information and understand the function of the thyroid in my body and all related chemical functions. In order to ensure any diagnosis is 100% correct. I think the best advice I have received and will follow up is to see a specialist in this field.

Comment from: Gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

My doctor diagnosed me with underactive thyroid almost 3 months ago. She increased my dosage from 25mcg Synthroid to 50 mcg, as the 25 mcg wasn't moving the levels at all. My initial symptoms were weakness and fatigue. Most days I feel so much better; however, I have some days after I have over-exerted myself (housework mainly), I feel weak and just overall "yucky" even though when I had my TSH levels checked a week ago, the levels were within the normal range. Since December when I started feeling so terrible, I have not been walking or getting any kind of exercise and now I am having aches and pains in places I've never had aches & pains. I was hoping that when my TSH levels were back to normal, that I'd be full of energy all the time or is this something that takes time since the underactive thyroid was obviously going on for a while before it was diagnosed.

Comment from: Zumi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed with having hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) when I was 34 years old, about 6 months after my twins were born. The most unusual side effect that hasn't been diagnosed yet is that my hands, arms go numb at night when I am sleeping. This has been going on almost every night for about 4 years now. I've had nerve tests done; carpal tunnel tests and they've yet to find a diagnosis. I keep asking if it's related to the hypothyroid and the doctors keep telling me no.

Comment from: Carly, 35-44 Female Published: March 29

So much of population is suffering from thyroid disorders, from babies to adults and elderly. Suffering from every ailment, mind and body, then the aging process progresses. You will be given more and more drugs. If you're fortunate to have decent insurance, see an endocrinologist or a wise Doctor aware of thyroid conditions. Most doctors are not aware.

Medically reviewed by John A. Seibel, MD; Board Certified Internal Medicine with a subspecialty in Endocrinology & Metabolism

REFERENCE: MedscapeReference.com. Hypothyroidism.