Picture of Second Trimester (16 Weeks)
This photo shows a baby at 16 weeks of gestation during the second trimester of pregnancy. At this stage:
- Tissues including bones and muscles continue to form.
- The baby begins to develop translucent skin.
- The baby begins to form a substance called meconium, which is the first bowel movement.
- The baby displays a sucking reflex with the mouth.
- The baby weighs approximately 3 ounces and is between 4 to 5 inches in length at this time.
Text Reference: American Pregnancy Association: "Fetal Development: Second Trimester"