Picture of Third Trimester (32 Weeks)
This photo shows a baby at 32 weeks of gestation during the third trimester. At this stage:
- The baby's skeleton is formed although the bones are soft.
- The baby is able to kick and jab with force.
- The baby's eyes are able to open and close and detect changes in light.
- The baby's lungs are not completely formed but they practice movements that simulate breathing.
- The baby accumulates stores of minerals including calcium and iron.
- The fine hair coating the baby, lanugo, begins to shed.
- The baby weighs approximately 4 to 4 ½ pounds and is approximately 15 to 17 inches in length.
- Weight gain is very fast now. The baby gains approximately ½ pound per week during this stage.
Text Reference: American Pregnancy Association: "Fetal Development: Third Trimester"