Font Size

Indigestion (cont.)

What kind of doctor treats indigestion?

You might first see your primary care doctor (general or family practitioner) who will diagnose your indigestion. You may be referred to a gastroenterologist, which is a specialist in disorders of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.

If you have a problem that requires surgery such as a severe ulcer or gallstones you may be referred to a general surgeon.

How is indigestion diagnosed?

In addition to a physical exam and questions about your symptoms, a doctor may perform the following tests:

  • Blood tests
    • compete blood count (CBC)
    • Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), (microbiologic tests for these bacteria)
    • liver panel, amylase and lipase (for pancreatitis)
    • kidney function test
    • guaiac test (a test for blood in the stool)
  • Abdominal ultrasound
  • Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD, or endoscopy)
    • capsule endoscopy
  • Colonoscopy
  • Upper GI and small bowel X-ray series
  • CT Scan or MRI of the abdomen
  • Gastric emptying study

Must Read Articles Related to Indigestion

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of learn more >>
Acid Reflux (GERD)
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD) Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Indigestion:

Indigestion - Home Remedy

What was the most effective home remedy you found to treat your indigestion?

Indigestion - Experience

Please share your experience with indigestion (dyspepsia).

Indigestion - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did/do you have with indigestion (dyspepsia)?

Indigestion - Causes

What was the cause of your indigestion (dyspepsia)?

Medical Dictionary