Indoor Allergens (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Indoor Allergen Follow-up
If your symptoms are severe enough or last long enough to require treatment by a medical professional, follow his or her treatment recommendations. Take all prescribed medications as directed.
The single best thing you can do to stop the reaction is to reduce your exposure to the allergens.
If it is animal dander causing your allergic reaction, you do have options.
If you decide to keep the pet and live with your allergy, have as little direct contact with the pet as possible.
Before getting a pet, spend indoor and outdoor time with other animals of the same species to make sure all family members can tolerate the dander. Remember that allergies tend to run in families. If you are allergic to animal dander, your children may be too. Also, even people who do not have problems initially may develop them later.
It is practically impossible to remove all house dust with all its allergens from your home.
Consider seeing an allergist for allergy shots. Allergy shots can reduce your sensitivity to indoor allergens.
Outlook for Allergies Caused by Indoor Allergens
In almost everyone who has an allergic reaction to house dust, symptoms will improve with treatment.
If the allergy is to animal dander, removal of the animal will result in gradual disappearance of symptoms.
For More Information
American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NAIAD), Allergies
Medically reviewed by Michael Manning, MD; American Board of Allergy & Immunology
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/17/2017
Rick Kulkarni, MD
Kathryn L Hale, MS, PA-C
Richard F Lockey, MD
Mary L Windle, PharmD
Timothy D Rice, MD
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Must Read Articles Related to Indoor Allergens
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Indoor Allergens:
Indoor Allergens - Patient Experience
Do you have problems with indoor allergens? Please describe your experience.
Indoor Allergens - Prevention
What steps have you taken to reduce your exposure to indoor allergens? Were the effective?