Insect Bites

Please describe your experience with insect bites. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bitten, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm the only one getting bitten by insects out of 4 people. I can't see the bug but it leaves a small welt. It takes a layer of skin off, but barely bleeds. It hurts, itches, feels warm to touch, and then gone the next day.

Comment from: Toastybit , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I was cleaning out my rabbit cage on my back porch at night and next day I saw insect bites. I thought mosquitoes, but now I know that's not it. It is kind of itchy but not like poison ivy. Looks good then looks bad. It hasn't gone away after a week and few days.

Comment from: Dobin , 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 30

While I was asleep, I was bitten just below my ankle bone by an unknown insect. I had a small bluish swelling and a stinging sensation that has migrated from the bite site upwards to the front of my ankle. I still have a small swelling, and it stings when I walk. It's been almost three months. My knee is beginning to hurt and stiff in the morning. Could be from uneven walking because of pain though.

Comment from: Ola, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I was bitten by an unknown insect when I was sleeping. I woke up when my hand was itching. Some minutes later I was thirsty, feeling dizzy and nauseous. There's no hospital around and it's late in the night.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

It's an insect bite that will not heal. It is a permanent small wound on my hand in between the knuckles. When I pick it, there is a clear odorless discharge followed by a little blood. It heals with a blood blister underneath, but it never goes away. It is approximately 1\2 cm in size.

Comment from: Audrey K. , 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am in a state of total alarm. For a year I have battled mites. They have morphed into larger, revolting creatures, which I dig out from under my skin. The one I just extracted from my upper thigh is a hideous reddish brown monster. I found exactly the same thing stuck to the side of my sink, surrounded by residue. I am a bedridden female, 91, caring for a husband with Alzheimer's.

Comment from: greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I was bitten by some insect about a week ago and don't know what bit me. Just above my left ankle it began to swell and itch like crazy. It has gone down some but is bruised in a few spots. It still hurts a little and itches. I have only been using a store bought antibiotic cream. I wonder if I should seek medical attention.

Comment from: benlubbe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I was bitten by some insect 24 hours ago. Last night at 3 am I was awakened by a soreness in my thigh. The top of my thigh has become very sore to the touch and I have just noticed a 'worm' type movement under my skin starting at the bite sight toward my body.

Comment from: Deborah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I visited a game reserve in South Africa two weekends ago. We were on a game reserve team building with work mates. The area is very dry presently. We had the windows down half way, being a very hot day. Late morning while driving something flew in the window, no sting or bite or any pain felt whatsoever, I brushed away something on my forehead near my hair line and thought nothing of it. The game drive was on Saturday. On Monday I woke for work with this very small what looked like a pimple on my forehead. I still thought nothing of it. Being a farm girl and not having had any insect bites etc., all these years I carried on with my day. On Tuesday I woke feeling nauseous and dizzy. When I brushed my teeth that morning I looked up and my forehead was severely swollen with what now looked like a reddish bruise on the area where the so called pimple had been. To cut a long story short. I made 3 trips to the doctor and now I sit today being Monday, a week later with my glands, face and eyes so swollen I can't open them. With the red area of the initial sting/bite approximately 8 cm in diameter red and skin peeling. I do not know what caused this.

Comment from: lisa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 07

My daughter has insect bite marks. She only gets bit on one section of bed. Last night, her sister got bit. I have done everything. I can't figure out why only my girls get bit. I have 9 month old also, and no bites. Neither myself nor partner get bit either.

Comment from: Bobby S, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a retired army officer and I had gone to for a holiday with my wife and a few friends in February 2011. I noticed a big reddish scar on the left side of my stomach after we got back. The doctor had to do a minor surgery to remove the pus which had formed and gave me antibiotics to heal the wound. It did heal but left a scar about 2 inches long. Five years later, these days, I am getting cramps and pain in the left side of my stomach. An ultrasound and CT scan have revealed nothing serious. I feel that this insect bite has somehow revived and is causing me this agony.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I was bitten by some insect 3 days ago on my leg. I am not sure what it was but it's quite itchy and now on the same leg around that area but not in the exact spot, it is black/blue. I did put rubbing alcohol on the bite to ease the itch. Thanks for listening.

Comment from: Princess of GOD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have a red bumps right now. I thought it is just a mosquito bite but it is getting painful and it is multiplying. I don't know what it is.

Comment from: itchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

For very many years we travel to the east coast of Florida for a family vacation. Each time we go, there is a swarm of 'no see ums,' and each time we go, I end up with HUNDREDS of bites which swell and itch for DAYS.

CDC.gov. Insects and Scorpions.

CDC.gov. Ticks.

CDC.gov. Fight the Bite for Protection from Malaria Guidelines for DEET Insect Repellent Use.