Insect Bites

Please describe your experience with insect bites. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I had a very brief bout with bedbugs and I had some bites on my arms. They itched so bad, but I kept picking at one of them and it has turned into what looks like a large wart the size of a dime, just on the slight outside of my elbow above the crease. What in heaven’s name it is, I don’t know! When I leave it alone it looks like a big ugly wart with a scab and I have had it about 6 months now.

Comment from: jaarjohn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 05

My sister has an insect bite or a sting on the ankle, causing redness, swelling and fever.

Comment from: Dngraham74 , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I was stung by a wasp some people said it was a cicada killer. When it stung me I fell to the ground. That happened around to second week of June. I am still limping and my ankle swells and goes back down. I am really lost at what to do. I went to a doctor and to the hospital for x-rays and no one can tell me anything.

Comment from: Bitten, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm the only one getting bitten by insects out of 4 people. I can't see the bug but it leaves a small welt. It takes a layer of skin off, but barely bleeds. It hurts, itches, feels warm to touch, and then gone the next day.

Comment from: Toastybit , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I was cleaning out my rabbit cage on my back porch at night and next day I saw insect bites. I thought mosquitoes, but now I know that’s not it. It is kind of itchy but not like poison ivy. Looks good then looks bad. It hasn’t gone away after a week and few days.

Comment from: Somethingelsa, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

Two nights ago I got bitten by some insect 6 times or more. They are so painful in my fingers on both hands. I feel weird and a little shaky. The pain is making it hard.

Comment from: Dobin , 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 30

While I was asleep, I was bitten just below my ankle bone by an unknown insect. I had a small bluish swelling and a stinging sensation that has migrated from the bite site upwards to the front of my ankle. I still have a small swelling, and it stings when I walk. It’s been almost three months. My knee is beginning to hurt and stiff in the morning. Could be from uneven walking because of pain though.

Comment from: Ola, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 11

I was bitten by an unknown insect when I was sleeping. I woke up when my hand was itching. Some minutes later I was thirsty, feeling dizzy and nauseous. There's no hospital around and it's late in the night.

Comment from: Jay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

It's an insect bite that will not heal. It is a permanent small wound on my hand in between the knuckles. When I pick it, there is a clear odorless discharge followed by a little blood. It heals with a blood blister underneath, but it never goes away. It is approximately 1\2 cm in size.

Comment from: greg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I was bitten by some insect about a week ago and don’t know what bit me. Just above my left ankle it began to swell and itch like crazy. It has gone down some but is bruised in a few spots. It still hurts a little and itches. I have only been using a store bought antibiotic cream. I wonder if I should seek medical attention.

Comment from: benlubbe, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 29

I was bitten by some insect 24 hours ago. Last night at 3 am I was awakened by a soreness in my thigh. The top of my thigh has become very sore to the touch and I have just noticed a 'worm' type movement under my skin starting at the bite sight toward my body.

Comment from: Deborah, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I visited a game reserve in South Africa two weekends ago. We were on a game reserve team building with work mates. The area is very dry presently. We had the windows down half way, being a very hot day. Late morning while driving something flew in the window, no sting or bite or any pain felt whatsoever, I brushed away something on my forehead near my hair line and thought nothing of it. The game drive was on Saturday. On Monday I woke for work with this very small what looked like a pimple on my forehead. I still thought nothing of it. Being a farm girl and not having had any insect bites etc., all these years I carried on with my day. On Tuesday I woke feeling nauseous and dizzy. When I brushed my teeth that morning I looked up and my forehead was severely swollen with what now looked like a reddish bruise on the area where the so called pimple had been. To cut a long story short. I made 3 trips to the doctor and now I sit today being Monday, a week later with my glands, face and eyes so swollen I can't open them. With the red area of the initial sting/bite approximately 8 cm in diameter red and skin peeling. I do not know what caused this.

SLIDESHOW

Could I Be Allergic? Discover Your Allergy Triggers See Slideshow
Comment from: lisa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 07

My daughter has insect bite marks. She only gets bit on one section of bed. Last night, her sister got bit. I have done everything. I can’t figure out why only my girls get bit. I have 9 month old also, and no bites. Neither myself nor partner get bit either.

Comment from: Audrey K. , 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I am in a state of total alarm. For a year I have battled mites. They have morphed into larger, revolting creatures, which I dig out from under my skin. The one I just extracted from my upper thigh is a hideous reddish brown monster. I found exactly the same thing stuck to the side of my sink, surrounded by residue. I am a bedridden female, 91, caring for a husband with Alzheimer’s.

Comment from: Bobby S, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a retired army officer and I had gone to for a holiday with my wife and a few friends in February 2011. I noticed a big reddish scar on the left side of my stomach after we got back. The doctor had to do a minor surgery to remove the pus which had formed and gave me antibiotics to heal the wound. It did heal but left a scar about 2 inches long. Five years later, these days, I am getting cramps and pain in the left side of my stomach. An ultrasound and CT scan have revealed nothing serious. I feel that this insect bite has somehow revived and is causing me this agony.

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I was bitten by some insect 3 days ago on my leg. I am not sure what it was but it's quite itchy and now on the same leg around that area but not in the exact spot, it is black/blue. I did put rubbing alcohol on the bite to ease the itch. Thanks for listening.

Comment from: Princess of GOD, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have a red bumps right now. I thought it is just a mosquito bite but it is getting painful and it is multiplying. I don’t know what it is.

Comment from: itchy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

For very many years we travel to the east coast of Florida for a family vacation. Each time we go, there is a swarm of 'no see ums,' and each time we go, I end up with HUNDREDS of bites which swell and itch for DAYS.

QUESTION