Insect Bites

What was the treatment for your insect bites? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rumpelstilzkin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 25

I found a wonderful treatment for any bite; stops itching and causes the bite to heal real quickly without any infection. The problem is the product is hard to get because it is almost always only available from a medical professional, so hard to keep around. It is also nasty if you get it in your eyes, mucus membranes, or on your clothes but wow, it works. Liquid that you just put on for about 10 to 20 seconds and wash off. There is a slight sting while on but gone when rinsed. It goes by a bunch of names in different parts of the world. In the US it is called Hybenx or Debacterol (older smellier version). In Europe and Canada you can get it in some drug stores as Oralmedic. It really works, guaranteed!

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I was bitten by an insect while gardening 3 years ago. The bite was between my eyes and was red, hard and swollen. It proceeded into my eyebrows and was very itchy. I saw a doctor, who did not take it seriously. I took Benadryl pills and applied cream on it. This continued and then I noticed a bruising in my cornea and returned to the doctor who eventually had me see a specialist. BY this time I had a corneal ulcer. It was treated and repaired but I still have pain in my eye occasionally. I use Maalox one drop daily.

Comment from: rosie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was bitten in many places in the scalp by gnats and mosquitoes. My scalp itched incessantly, as well as the bites on my neck. Those swelled and became painful. I began treating with ice packs, which helped a great deal. I purchased Benadryl, both oral and topical and that has helped.

• Insect Bites - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your insect bites?

Post View 49 Comments
  • Insect Bites - Experience

Please describe your experience with insect bites.

Post View 13 Comments

Medically reviewed by Joseph Palermo, DO; American Osteopathic Board Certified Internal Medicine

CDC.gov. Insects and Scorpions.

CDC.gov. Ticks.

CDC.gov. Fight the Bite for Protection from Malaria Guidelines for DEET Insect Repellent Use.