Insect Bites

What symptoms did you experience with your insect bites? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Damo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have been bitten by an insect. I have a small really hard and very painful lump surrounded by a red rash. A short while after, my leg has shooting pains, tingling, and feels numb.

Comment from: Mun, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I was bitten yesterday by some insect and it had this stinging sensation. It didn't itch initially but now the second day it itches a little bit, but it is more like a sore and has spread a little bit. I don't know what has happened to me and what I got bitten by.

Comment from: Gabbypapi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I got bitten by some insect yesterday while walking in the grass trying to grab a toy for my son. At first I thought it was a stinging caterpillar but it's been 6 or 7 hours later and it's still throbbing with pain. It hurts to walk, the pain has not stopped but it does help when I add ice to it.

Comment from: Bridgette, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was bit yesterday by some insect and it had this stinging sensation. It didn't itch initially but now the second day it itches a little bit, but it is more like sore and has spread a little bit. I don't know what has happened to me and what I got bitten by.

Comment from: Rose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

The insect bite occurred last night, and the area has become increasingly red and irritated around the bite mark over time, with a lighter spot where the two tiny welts of it lie. It was small at first, started itching pretty bad and I thought of a mosquito bite, but it didn't swell up into a bump like they would, instead it began spreading irritation, and is barely swollen at all. Now though, it itches horribly, pulls, and burns after being bothered, so much so it almost feels cold.

Comment from: Marilyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have a throbbing pain in my head where the flying insect bit me.

Comment from: Altra Lovett, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I have an insect bite on my knee and it's swollen up. It feels like there are two knots in my knee. I pushed it to see what would happen and something came out, but it is still hurting and looks like it is going back how it was before I busted it. I've been feeling very sick, like throwing up, and my body aches all over. I have lower back pains.

Comment from: Harshitha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I didn't know what insect had bitten my leg, it became swollen at one place and red marks came around the swelled part. It is itching and a little painful.

Comment from: Mama Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

An insect bit or strung me, and at first it felt like burning, now it feels like pulling.

Comment from: Charles, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

The tip of my hand has 2 tiny insect bites, one by my finger, and the other on the top. I t is red, hot to touch and swollen very badly. I have a throbbing sensation.

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

I had pain and instant swelling from the insect bite; it was hot and red.

Comment from: mope, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have a large swelled up spot like a mosquito bite but it's not a mosquito. It is a skinny little black kind of insect, long and little.

Comment from: Ds2112, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

I was bit or stung by an insect today, by a pond. It was under my shirt on the right side abdomen above my pants line. I had instant initial pain. It swelled to the diameter of a tennis ball in 30 minutes. Six hours later I still have intense pulsing pain and burning.

Comment from: Bashiru, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 19

Immediately after the insect stung I felt the pain, my wrist started swelling a bit and became somewhat hard. I am afraid it is now affecting my left ankle.

Comment from: Ss, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

I don't know what insect bit me on my leg but my left big toe was painful last night, and now I can't even walk. But I can see a small red spot on the leg.

Comment from: bell, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 13

I am not sure what insect bit my husband but something did. We can see the bite mark and it was itchy at first. Now 3 days later his whole foot, ankle, and the area below his knee are red and swollen. His leg hurts. It feel warm to touch. He is not wanting to go to the hospital due to a traumatic incident the last time we went. Any information would be highly appreciated.

Comment from: Ccrain, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I had instant itching from the insect bites, then hand swelled double in size, and hurt all the way to my shoulder. It was hot and felt like it was on fire.

Comment from: mama g, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Something bit me on my leg a few weeks ago and it won't heal. The insect bite is very itchy and has turned black as if it is healed, however it is still very itchy and a little painful around the bite.

Comment from: ANNAMARIEP29, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had an insect bite on my leg. I am not sure if it was a spider or not but it got real swollen on my knee and made my leg stiff, swollen and I couldn't even bend my knee or walk on that leg. After three days at home in bed my father heated up a Coke bottle and put it over the bite. It created suction and it pulled out this really long white stringy cord looking thing out of my leg! The pain was gone, the swelling went down and I could walk again.

Comment from: Blossom, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 20

A wasp or a bee bit my neck 3 days ago. My hubby pulled out the long stinger and applied cortisone cream on the bite minutes after it happened. Swelling went down, but then a large area of my neck and back got red and hot. I continued treatment. Day three redness is subsiding but there is still a hard lump where the stinger was pulled from and it is still very painful. Neck and back are sore. Neck feels stiff.

Comment from: KLOVELL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I was cleaning a very dusty area. I didn't see what insect bit me but my arm started to itch and burn. It didn't swell up much, only severe burning and itching. The next day it was gone. Ten days later the symptoms are back.

Comment from: Dabsangel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I woke up with about 6 insect bites on my legs, arms, and thigh area. It has been 3 days and they still hurt and itch. Everything I have put on them isn't really helping. It feels like a hot needle poking my legs. The bites on my legs hurt the most. They look like red circles with a little red dot in the middle and it looks like I was stung. I don't know what bit me or stung me either. These are the worst bites I have ever experienced.

Comment from: DPS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 07

I had intense pain after being bitten by an insect on my toe through the sandals walking on grass. Eight days later, my foot still gets numb and I experience pain in the same ankle while sitting. Lying down no issues.

Comment from: Spider, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 24

Dizziness and fever are his symptoms of insect bites. Skin is tightening where all the bites are; or welts. About 15 minutes earlier he said it feels like I'm getting bitten by all kinds of bugs.

Comment from: hanson, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

My partner has been bitten on his hand by an insect and it is all swollen. And he keeps getting bad headaches.

Comment from: bjoy4, 65-74 (Patient) Published: July 17

I thought I pricked my hand on a rose thorn. Two mins later the back of my hand had swelled up (not the fingers) and turned purple. One small blood-red dot that disappeared soon. It hurt and itched. One week later the insect bite is still red, and itchy under the skin.

Comment from: Nick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

My symptoms of insect bites are pain, swelling and bruising, and when pressed it feels like something is bursting.

Comment from: Shweta, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I got bit by some insect at night while sleeping. I felt excruciating pain on my right heel as if someone injected a needle in my heel. When I woke up there was blood around the bitten area. The bitten area looks like a dot. There is no redness or itching.

Comment from: Mark, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

It was really itchy and it stopped itching but I have a lump around the insect bite, my upper arm and forearm are now red, and when I bend my arm it hurts.

Comment from: Pavlo, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 11

It happened to my dad that some unknown insect bit him on the neck. It became red and a yellow pus-like dot occurred. It seems like the place of biting. The pain has spread to the throat as well as to the cheek and also to the hand. His head is also paining.

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I cannot see where I was bit. However, this is black fly season and I have had issues in the past. Presently my arm (from my wrist to my elbow) is pink, warm, itchy, and has some swelling. The itch is constant. I am taking Benadryl and applying cold compresses on my arm. This started 2 days ago. So far everything I try has not worked.

Comment from: Michaela, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am sore from insect bites, with swelling around my foot and pins and needles.

Comment from: T, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I got bit by some insect while sleeping. I was lying on my stomach with both arms under my pillow. I felt excruciating pain in my right middle finger and then on my left arm on the radius. The pain felt like a sting but the numbness, itching and burning shot upwards in my skin. The next day my finger was swollen and my arm at the bite site was swollen. The third day a small crust formed. I ran water over the crust and peeled it off. It oozed a tiny bit of clear fluid. The swelling area was red and warm. It continued to burn and itch on the inside. I don't know what kind of bug did this. It woke me out of my sleep. I tore up my bed looking for it and I could not find it. I poured a whole bottle of rubbing alcohol on my bed. I feel victimized and justice has not been served.

Comment from: jef, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My wife got an insect bite on her wrist and now it is swollen.

Comment from: Jacky, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 07

I have large red insect bites, very itchy.

Comment from: Juls, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

My insect bites are itching every night.

Comment from: Puggirl, 13-18 Female Published: September 22

When I got stung by a bee, it was only last week, it was during my lunch. I was just getting up then when i was adjusting my orange rain coat, I accidentally caught a bee in my hand. It was my first time so I went to the nurse. After the stinger was removed, the nurse wanted me to wait 10 minutes for any allergic reaction because I didn't know if I had a bee sting allergy. Well two minutes after the stinger was removed I started so feel my throat just tithing. She called my mom. As 30 minutes since the sting came i started trouble swallowing the extra spit the sting produced. As the Hour mark came I started to get red bumps and my whole body became red. Within the two hour mark my mom was able to pick me up. As we were driving in the car I started to have more trouble breathing and my voice became hoarse and more hoarse by the minute. So my mother made a doctor appointment with the doctor with the closest time available. Witch turned out to be three hours after the sting. But during the 2nd and 3rd hours I started to feel light headed and dizzy. After getting my vitals the doctor put us in a room 30minutes passed during those thirty minute I started to feel very tired as the thirty minutes passed it became harder to stay awake. But just when I was about to sleep the doctor came in to give a shot of epiphenrene and Benadryl. And just said to make a follow up appointment which I still need to make. Btw I'm only 15.

Comment from: Syd, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I was bitten by a centipede in a wooded area of the ALGARVE (Portugal) 1 week ago, I am 63 years but very fit (ex pro squash player) now age group competing road cyclist! 10 minutes after bite, feeling of fainting and nausea, sat down, then laid down and went into shock situation! My wife summoned local emergency services, and then transported to nearest hospital with relative emergency care! Symptoms:- tightness of throat, pins and needles in hands and feet, cold and profuse sweating, irregular breathing, semi-delusional, desire to sleep, However, during all this, pulse rate varied but not dangerously, heart-beat raised initially then returned to normal with oxygen in the Ambulance. Hospital treatment with saline, anti-histamine, and anti-venom intravenously administered plus injections in buttocks, blood tests, 3 hours later discharged , feeling ok sort of!! With variety of capsules to take. By the 3rd day there was later swelling and discoloration of lower leg(bite area over top of walking boot) all but gone and back on bike!! Warning given, that if in doubt of bite or sting seek immediate medical care!!

Comment from: Steve Z, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

Stung by bee on right pinky finger, second knuckle. (Quite possibly directly into vein or artery, as there was virtually no swelling or itching at site of string. Stinger was present, and quickly removed, though.) Within five minutes, hives all over body. Esophagus swelled shut or spasmed, as if permanent swallow. Tongue numbed and swelled. Twenty minutes after sting, passed out in emergency room with no measurable blood pressure. Revived and spent night at hospital for observation.

Comment from: sonjar, 65-74 Female Published: June 30

I'm 65 years old and live in the tropics. I was bitten on the inner thigh more than 7 days ago. After day 4 a red dot appeared that could be site of bite. However on day one the inner thigh had an area approximately 6" around red, very hard, extremely itchy and hot. I applied ice packs, lavender oil, took oregano capsules, herbal remedies to boost immune system. The red area elongated and moved closer to the knee with the same symptoms. It is now day 8 the hardness, red, heat and itch are located on the L outside of the knee cap travelling downward. There has been in the lymph nodes on left side of body under arms, headaches and discomfort walking. Went to hospital, received ibuprofen and told no danger. My fear is that the area is moving, as if something was alive underneath. Please help. Thank you.

Comment from: June, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: September 14

My neighbors are filthy, so we have roaches mice, now bed bugs, and I threw all my furniture out. I now live in an apartment with one chair. The landlord has sprayed 6 times every year I've been here. I complained so much about the bed bugs; if I don't sleep you don't either. So now I am paying for both apartment being sprayed, 800 dollars. Plus my old bites finally healed. But now they are back.

Comment from: RowenLuvr, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 15

My grandmother was bitten a week ago on Sunday. She said it was a yellow jacket. She also said it crawled out from under a bench. The bite is swollen, red, and going up her leg. She is eighty-two years old.

Comment from: patricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

The red itching swelling is getting bigger

Comment from: Holly Rock, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was bitten by a beetle on my lower leg area. It left a large pus-filled looking raised bump that was warm and sore to the touch. This was six months ago. I put ice on it and went on Bactrim.

Comment from: teaberryboo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 06

I was bitten on the top of the ear by a small black fly/gnat yesterday. Today my ear is red, swollen, hot, itchy and sore. Diphenhydramine cream has not really helped.

Comment from: rob, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 21

I was bitten on my leg and have been sweating and itchy for the last 24 hours.

Comment from: tabby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I was bitten in Florida not sure by what but I have three bites. One is a nasty bite. They are all are seeping out sticky yellow fluid and my foot has swollen up.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

After an overnite trip, the next day I had extreme itching and redness on my scalp. It appeared first as a large bump and itched. Now the bump is gone but the itching remains with burning pain on my head.

Comment from: superstardancer, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had sharp pricks on my shoulder and freaked when I saw a bug. The bites stung and I had sharp pain. Now is just a dull aching throb and I really want to know what bit me! All I know is that it had an orange tail.

I got bitten by an insect but not sure what kind. I have no fever but my leg is painful and red patches have appeared.

Comment from: Mwuese, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I didn't see the insect that bit me, but I felt the sting and because we get a lot of ant bites in this part of the world (Nigeria), I didn't take it seriously at first. The following day, though, I have three boils with a lot of itching and pain. The swellings increased in size and the biting pain increased. After two days I went to the pharmacy and got drugs for such bites. What scared me though was that when I tried squeezing the boils, something white came out and was moving, like larvae! I felt very weak earlier on and my head hurts. I would like to know the insect that causes this.

Comment from: Sadie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 31

I was bitten on the hand twice by a wasp or a hornet. My hand is swollen and rather tight. It itches quite a bit, but I have no open wounds.

Comment from: MMXG, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

Through one of those youthful lapses in judgment type situations with my partner in a forest, I was bitten by some type of small black ant on the genital area. At first I just had a small red bite mark that faded after a couple days. It has now been a week, and near the bite I have multiple red dots and just found a burst blood vessel nearby as well. I'm very concerned, but uncomfortable with the idea of a male doctor poking around my genitals, but also uncomfortable asking for a female.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

I had pain on the side of my abdomen from an unknown insect. When I looked in the mirror, I saw 2 small dots that look like bite marks.

Comment from: teacher23, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Extreme itching and numerous bites on my arms, neck, and legs.

Comment from: NH, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I received a bit on the back of my neck while working in the yard. It made a red welt that has not healed in over a week. I have treated it with hydrocortisone.

Comment from: 7-12 Female Published: April 27

I've had this bite for a few days now. It's a dark pink, smallish round circle. It's extremely irritating and fairly itchy. At first I thought it was just a weird mosquito bite, but now I'm not so sure...

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

I don't know what kind of bug bit me, but I have swelling, redness, itchiness, numbness, and tingling in extremity affected.

Comment from: rixus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I don't know what bit me, but the area is mildly swollen and warm to touch with excessive itching.

Comment from: Jenny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I was bitten by ants on my lip and my lip is swollen and shining.

Comment from: vpdgraylady, 65-74 Female Published: February 22

I was bitten by something. I had itchiness and redness around the area of the bit. These symptoms lasted 5 to 10 days.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was bitten by an unknown insect. I had itchiness and redness, pain and it got swollen around the area of the bit. These symptoms lasted more than a week.

Comment from: annia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I am in my early sixties. I usually walk a lot and swim. Within a week I was bitten by a house spider. The area was swollen blue and puffy there were like two marks left in the skin on inside of foot, and few days later was bitten by unknown insect. I was in a covered area in a public place when I felt the sting looked at my arm there was like a large blister about a two penny size which then turned like a kind of dark yellow and a week later is still marked on my arm. The day after that bite I became ill very nauseous could not eat, very sleepy, no energy, had to stay in bed just drinking water. Saw my doctor who said it was a water infection? Then developed a bad toothache went to see dentist he took an x-ray of tooth said tooth was ok but not happy as there was swelling around it. I mentioned the two bites I had few days previously. He took it very seriously and prescribed doxycycline for 10 days. That seemed to put me back on my feet. I'm still wondering what it was?

CDC.gov. Insects and Scorpions.

CDC.gov. Ticks.

CDC.gov. Fight the Bite for Protection from Malaria Guidelines for DEET Insect Repellent Use.