Insulin Resistance

What changes to your diet have helped manage your insulin resistance? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 19

Periodically I have had instances of insulin resistance. I was told to include roughly 2 to 4 ounces of scotch whiskey in my diet. It has proven to be very helpful. It brings my sugar levels down to normal for a Type 1 diabetic.

Comment from: Chris, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I am a 51-year-old retired Marine. I developed severe sweating, shakes, dizziness, and fatigue over the past year and a half. I had other health issues that also contributed to these symptoms and while I would get some relief after the treatment for other diagnosed issues my sweating, fatigue and shakes never went away. Finally I was referred to an endocrinologist and diabetes office where a glucose tolerance test showed I was insulin resistant. I am now starting my meds and changing my diet. I hope I can report back great things in a month.

REFERENCE:

FDA Prescribing Information for Avandia.

"Insulin resistance: Definition and clinical spectrum"
UpToDate.com