Iritis

What were the symptoms of you iritis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Oregoncd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

I am in my 4th day of my first flare of iritis. I had never heard of this before and finally sought medical help 2 days into it. The pain I felt was savage. I honestly didn't think I could handle much more. My pupil is misshapen and my vision is really cloudy. I'm shocked that this could happen over a small period of time. I am healthy with no auto immune disorders to my knowledge yet. Blood tests will be ordered this week. This flare up is in my right eye only. I have been reading about people having subsequent flare ups. That is terrifying.

Comment from: Joni, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

This is the third time I have had iritis happen to my eye. I wonder if this can be caused by wearing contact lens too long.

Comment from: carrol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I had a very painful experience and now it's a bit better. Everything I see is still blurry.

Comment from: Virginia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Not very helpful I'm afraid but I have had iritis on and off from the age of nine and now I'm 60. Every time I've had it, the symptoms have been very different. I was told many years ago because it was very bad that when I get it I must be at the hospital within 48 hours. Dramatic I know but this condition can be very serious.

Comment from: Ron, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 09

I get Iritis frequently because of a very rare disorder I have called Cogan's Syndrome.

Comment from: Jeffroed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 27

I am 54 and diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis 12 years ago. I got iritis and thought it was pink eye. I wasted a week using antibiotic and over the counter drops. I was just prescribed steroid drops and that is working. Ibuprofen helps tremendously. Getting old isn't for sissies!!!

Comment from: crohns patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have Crohn's disease and have never had iritis until now. I went to the CVS minute clinic thinking I had pink eye and they then sent me to the ER. My eye was only slightly red, mostly at the top, under the eyelid. I have soreness to touch and behind the socket. I have been using prednisone drops for four days and they do not yet seem to be working.

Comment from: Shashank, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 27

The first time I was affected with iritis was in 1990. It started recurring-one or the other eye every 2 years and later every 6 months. Steroidal (eye drops) treatment was given by the ophthalmologist every time. Then after the last time in 2008, it stopped for four years. I thought I was free from the affliction then it reappeared again in 2012. In 1982 doctors had diagnosed me with ankylosing spondylosis, but I overcame this problem with regular yoga exercises.

Comment from: semplesimon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I have been battling what my ophthalmologist describes as herpes of the eye (left only) and iritis for two years now and am getting very discouraged as they cannot eradicate it.

Comment from: Relieved, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had iritis three times previously every ten years. I had the feeling of grit in my eye when there was none. Then the pain became unbearable with extreme sensitivity to light and redness that continued to worsen. One of these times I a cortisone shot in my eye. As soon as I got cortisone the pain was relieved. I have it now after 15 years and I had blurring of vision and soreness around the outer orbit of my eye. When I got to my eye doctor he said that I had caught it early. I was so thankful that I didn't have that extreme pain.

Comment from: Jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

When I had iritis, I felt as if my eyeball had been taken out and kicked around as it was so tender and painful. My eye was partly closed, photophobic, and very red and watery.

Comment from: Christy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

When I had iritis, I had sensitivity to light, eye pain and redness.

Comment from: Vonny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I have pain in the eye to touch when rubbing it. Light sensitivity as well as pain in my back and neck, I also feel very "hung over" and tired as well as cranky. I haven't had it for 5 years but it was so severe back then I had to have injections of steroids around the eye it just kept flaring up.

Comment from: Amy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My iritis shows up suddenly in one eye with extreme sensitivity to light and touch, solid flow of tears, blurry vision, redness, eye pain, headache, and a deep ache behind my cheekbone and temple. The dilating drops feel so good and really take the eye pain away, but that ache in my face takes a while on steroid drops to go away. My doctor told me to keep the dilating drops handy for flare-up, but not to use the steroid drops without re-evaluation and instructions since every time can be different. He keeps a spot open for iritis appts every day and he says to call in for instructions if it happens at night or weekends, so I do that.

Comment from: Csnipes24, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

Mine is just major eye pain from light and from touch. Also a mild headache going along with it too. My first flare-up I had to go to ER and I had no idea what was going on. I could not use either eye since when one eye dilates. So does the other. This is very painful as well. My eye doctor put the dilator drops in the painful one to keep it from dilating and I used Prednisolone drops. I keep these drops handy and when I feel it starting up again. I use the drops and it will ease off.

REFERENCE:

Rosenbaum, James T. "Uveitis: Etiology, Clinical Manifestations, and Diagnosis." Jan. 2018. UpToDate.com.