Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Test, Symptoms, Diet, and Treatments

What are your irritable bowel syndrome symptoms? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: zamo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have experiencing constant pain on my right flank, constipation and flatulence. I am on medication now for irritable bowel syndrome but there is not much improvement.

Comment from: joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I acquired irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) 3 years after treatment for lung cancer. I have a swollen stomach and all the normal horrible symptoms associated with IBS, including when I have a bowel movement I have to visit the toilet 2 or 3 times to clean myself up again.

Comment from: jen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My stomach gets bloated and hard because of irritable bowel syndrome.

Comment from: Carol, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 11

If I don't eat all day then have a big meal I'm in the bathroom several times. I am wondering if this is a sign if irritable bowel syndrome.

Comment from: nyasha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have been experiencing the same symptoms over a long period and only to be informed about IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) today and knowing different experiences in different age ranges is of importance to me.

Comment from: 1shasta, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I have always had abdominal issues most my life. However, recently I have had alternating diarrhea with pain and constipation. The pain initially was terrible. I would be doubled over and then after unable to walk around. The cause could be stress since my sister and I had to put our parents in a home because my dad has dementia. My sister has high blood pressure recently and I got this horrible abdominal problem. The pain has gotten somewhat better but the diarrhea persists.

Comment from: Ocean girl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I used to be able to eat pasta all the time, but since I developed IBS, I can eat large amounts of ferrara cappellini (pasta) as thin spaghetti with no problem. If I eat even small amounts of regular pasta macaroni now, I get horrible intestinal cramps and bad diarrhea.

Comment from: lee, 65-74 (Patient) Published: May 06

When I was 58 I started having 5-6 bouts of diarrhea a day. No Pain, just diarrhea. I am now 74 and it is still the same. So far, all a doctor says is, "Oh you have IBS". I guess they just don't care. One did say it is probably caused by an infection in the bowels, but didn't do anything about it. Anything I eat or drink sets it off.

Comment from: WillingToKickIBS, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I was diagnosed with gastroenteritis when I was 19. Thereafter I had a 4 year long stressful/anxious period during which the symptoms of IBS stared to show. I wasn't even aware that I had IBS. But irregular bowel habits had begun and I thought that they would just go away someday. After 6 years of these symptoms I finally visited a doctor and he diagnosed me with IBS. Allopathic medicines like Lomotil do help. I take them before traveling or when I am having an 'attack', but I am not a believer in long term allopathic treamtment since there are lot of side effects. I have found that walking regularly helps. Currently I am taking homeopathic treatment and it is helpful to a large extent. IBS puts a lot of fear of traveling. Whenever I go to any unknown location the first thing I want make sure is that there is access to a toilet. That really sucks. But my condition has improved in the last couple of years. I am into year 8 of this condition now but I am hoping that things will get better.

Comment from: Rene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had IBS for several years but the last two to three it has changed to vomiting. My gastro doctor has diagnosed this as IBS.

Comment from: Carolyn46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am 46 and have had IBS since my early 20s. It has gotten worse and much more severe. I have cramping, diarrhea, sweating, and pain. It is worse than childbirth. I am usually doubled over on the bathroom floor four to five hours at a time. I know better than to consume caffeine or eat fried foods, and these are my main triggers. Stress is also a huge factor. Sometimes the least little thing can trigger an episode. It has gotten more severe with age. I wish I could find some relief.

Comment from: judie m., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have suffered with IBS from the age of 19 soon after my gallbladder was removed. I am now 53 years old. I have chronic diarrhea severe intestinal cramping and nausea and vomiting at least four to five days a week. This has definitely interfered with my quality of life. I have had several colonoscopies because of the severity of my symptoms and have been told that it's "only" IBS.

Comment from: Jo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 68 years old and I suffered with IBS for 19 years, having as many as six bouts per week and tried every medicine, diet, and even been in IBS study. I finally found a doctor to work with me and let me try Premarin. It was the miracle I was praying for. It has been two months and so far I am perfectly normal.

Comment from: Mrs.Mercer, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

My symptoms started in 2011. They were just flu like symptoms with severe pain in my stomach and vomiting. I've been watching what I eat and when I go to the bathroom nothing seems too abnormal. I've seen a GI specialist and had lots of test run including a colonoscopy, but they keep saying nothing wrong. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I know it's not normal to be in this much pain. I'm only 22 years old and have two small children. I have an attack at least once a month and it gets so bad I can't get off my bathroom floor because I'm in so much pain.

Comment from: Madison, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have been diagnosed with IBS after many tests. My primary symptom is severe bloating.

Comment from: Gubbie11, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I have severe cramping in my lower abdomen. This pain doubles me over. After a few hours, I will finally pass some stool and this will relieve the pain. I'll have frequent periods of severe diarrhea about one hour after eating my three daily meals. I am a slow eater and do not overeat but even an English muffin with butter can cause a bad morning. The pain is intense and causes me to break out in a sweat. I've tried everything but seem to be unable to help myself.

Comment from: Gray Lady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have been dealing with IBS for 60 yrs. I mostly have diarrhea. Nothing has worked for me. This has ruined any traveling I might like to do in my retirement. Most people are clueless as to how it affects every day life. It has really limited recreation. I never want to be too far from a restroom. I hate this!

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I have been diagnosed IBS eight months back, it started with abdominal pain and watery diarrhea that lasted for few days, but symptoms persisted for about two months. I was diagnosed as post infectious IBS. I went through all routine tests and images nothing was found. It's really terrible sometimes.

Comment from: momoftwins, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 18

I have severe bouts of uncontrollable. This is accompanied by pain, bloating, and a very full uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. It gets so bad that I do not leave my house for fear of having an attack. I have not noticed any foods that trigger these attacks, although stress is a factor. Stress gets worse when I'm having the attacks and I'm getting scared to be in public.

Comment from: Lena, 55-64 Female Published: February 17

With irritable bowel syndrome, I have been experiencing abdominal discomfort and excessive wind to the point of being absolutely disgusting.

• Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your irritable bowel syndrome established?

Post View 14 Comments
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Experience

What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with IBS?

Post View 2 Comments
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Foods to Avoid

What foods aggravate IBS? What foods and lifestyle changes have helped you mange IBS?

Post View 4 Comments
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Medications

What medications have you tried to treat IBS symptoms, and what have been effective?

Post View 2 Comments
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Preventive

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting IBS?

Post View 4 Comments

Aragon G. et al. "Probiotic Therapy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2010;6(1):39-44.
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2886445/>

Camilleri, M. "Current and future pharmacological treatments for diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome." Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, 2013. 14 (9), 1151-1160.
Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America. "IBS and IBD: Two Very Different Disorders."
<http://www.ccfa.org/resources/ibs-and-ibd-two-very.html>

Jeffrey S. Hyams, M.D. Irritable Bowel Syndrome in Children. National Institutes of Health. Jun 25, 2014.
<http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/ibs-in-children/Pages/facts.aspx\>

International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. "IBS Diet: Cramping and Diarrhea." Jun 14, 2016.
<http://www.aboutibs.org/ibs-diet/cramping-and-diarrhea.html>

International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. "IBS in the Real World." Jul 26, 2016.
<http://www.aboutibs.org/ibs-with-diarrhea.html>

National Cancer Institute. "What are cruciferous vegetables?" Jun 07, 2012.
<http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cruciferous-vegetables-fact-sheet>