Viewer Comments: Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diagnosis

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS):Understanding the Disorder

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Test, Symptoms, Diet, and Treatments:

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your irritable bowel syndrome established?

Comment from: MickieD, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I received a diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in my late 30s after finally seeing a gastroenterologist. He did a colonoscopy to rule anything else and diagnosed my pain and diarrhea as IBS. Before exams in graduate school I usually had bad flare ups. My family doctor said it was just how I dealt with being nervous. I used to make a joke about how where other people popped Valium when they were nervous I popped Imodium!

Comment from: joe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed at the age of 62 with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and have all the symptoms that are associated with it, including after a bowel movement I have to return to the toilet two or three times after, to clean myself again. This can be very distressing.

Comment from: lindylil, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with IBS after a bowel scan last year and it is certainly worse when I have my period. I also keep a food diary so I know what triggers an attack. I also take an Imodium Plus before I eat a meal out, just in case, and it does work. I am an anxious person anyway and I think that it is generally accepted that anxiety can affect the stomach. The worst thing about IBS is being far away from a toilet and I had an attack while travelling on the tube home from work once. I was lucky in that the staff at the station were sympathetic and I got to the toilet in time. I think that if you find yourself in such a situation, be honest with people and they will understand. You have to learn to live with it and let's face it there are people out there with a lot worse health issues. IBS isn't life-threatening, just inconvenient.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 17; I am now 32. I have also always suffered with anxiety, which I have found definitely has an effect on my IBS symptoms. It comes and goes, and I have been able to recognize certain triggers, for example, when my period is due, I have diarrhea and cramps. If I drink tea or coffee, I immediately have to use the bathroom, etc. My symptoms cycle through constipation and diarrhea alternately, and the pain is usually in my back or on one or other side of my abdomen, sometimes dull and nauseating, sometimes sharp. Heat pads help. At first I was given Colofac, but I don't use them now. I occasionally take peppermint oil capsules, but to be honest, I don't find anything does the job very well. I prefer to avoid known triggers if possible and deal with the symptoms. Exercise helps too; I walk a lot these days. IBS is very unpleasant but can be coped with. The longer you have it, the better you get to know yourself and your own symptoms and triggers, because everyone is different.

Comment from: bvi1998, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Though it seems I have always had these symptoms, it seems my first clue was when my doctor was doing a quick rectal exam and told me I had a spastic colon. Years later, I went to a gastroenterologist because I was having a lot of pain in my intestines. From my described symptoms, it was determined I had IBS but was also given a colonoscopy. Nothing was found with the exception of inflammation in my large intestine, which he thought could have occurred because of the prep. When he was performing the colonoscopy and got to that area, it was very painful and made me clearly say "ouch" out loud to him. I was prescribed Nulev, which allows me to have about five minutes to get to the bathroom: a fantastic emergency drug, just great. Other than that, no other tests have been performed.

Comment from: NARAYAN m., 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I have been suffering from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) since 2 years. At that time I went to a gastroenterologist and he did the colonoscopy and found it normal but the problem still persists. I go to the toilet 4 to 5 times a day. Now I found some home remedies which are very beneficial, like massage on the belly which cured my IBS.

Comment from: medjjmv99, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 06

I have a friend who suffers from irritable bowel syndrome all his life. He went to different doctors, was treated with all kind of medications, but to his surprise he went to Peru for treatment and he was prescribed enzymes and a medicine called Colonis not available in the US unfortunately. He also he takes saliva raw every day for the acid reflux. I hope this advice helps anyone who may be suffering from this terrible disease. Now he is happy as he slowly has progressed. He also he did a special diet, no grease, no rice, no flour, no citric food such oranges, no beans, no soda, no chili, no junk food in general, and no alcohol. He takes chicken soup with vegetables every day, homemade of course, and sweet potato. He bakes chicken or fish with salt only, no fried baked only.

Must Read Articles Related to Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Constipation (Adults)
Constipation in Adults Constipation in adults refers to difficulty in passing stools or a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements. Causes of learn more >>
Constipation in Children (Infants)
Constipation in Children

Constipation in infants and children affects up to 10% of children at any given time. Causes of constipation in infants and children include:

• ...
learn more >>
Diarrhea
Diarrhea

Diarrhea can be caused by bacterial or viral infections, parasites, intestinal diseases or conditions, reactions to medications, and learn more >>

Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Symptoms

What are your irritable bowel syndrome symptoms?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Experience

What changes have you had to make to your routine since being diagnosed with IBS?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Foods to Avoid

What foods aggravate IBS? What foods and lifestyle changes have helped you mange IBS?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Medications

What medications have you tried to treat IBS symptoms, and what have been effective?

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - Preventive

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting IBS?