Must Read Articles:
ChickenpoxChickenpox (varicella) is a highly contagious infection that typically affects children. Symptoms and signs include an itchy red blistering rash that forms first on the torso and then spreads to the extremities. Treatment may incorporate Tylenol or Advil for fever, IV fluids for dehydration, antibiotics for bacterial skin infections, calamine lotion, cool compresses and baths, and Benadryl, Claritin, or Zyrtec for itch relief.
Chickenpox vs Hand Foot and Mouth DiseaseChickenpox and hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD) are both contagious viral illnesses that commonly affect children and cause a rash. Learn about symptoms, causes, and treatment.
How Do You Get Herpes ZosterHerpes zoster is the virus that causes chickenpox. It lives in your nerve cells dormant, and may reemerge as shingles, most commonly in adults over 50. Luckily, there are effective vaccines against chickenpox (typically administered to children) and shingles for adults.
Expert Views and News
- One Third of Older People Get Shingles Vaccine
- Newer Shingles Vaccine Cheaper, More Effective
- Shingles Vaccine May Be OK for Autoimmune Patients
- FDA Approves Horizant for Post-Shingles Pain
- Risk of Shingles Recurrence Is Low
- Shingles Vaccine Deemed Safe in Large Study
- Chickenpox Vaccination of Children Helps Protect Infants, Too
- Shingles Vaccine OK at Age 50 and Up
- Vaccine Refusal Raises Chickenpox Risk
- Pump Away Shingles Pain?
- Arthritis Treatments Raise Shingles Risk
- FDA Panel Backs Shingles Vaccine
- Best Treatments for Lasting Shingles Pain
Is Chickenpox Contagious? Topic Guide - Visuals
Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes:
Is Chickenpox Contagious? Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Herpes zoster is caused by the same virus (varicella) that causes chickenpox in children. When this virus becomes active again, it can cause herpes zoster, ...learn more »
Herpes zoster is caused by the same virus (varicella) that causes chickenpox in children. When this virus becomes active again in an adult, it can cause her...learn more »