Jellyfish Stings

Tell us the signs and symptoms you experienced from a jellyfish sting. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: ASHISH GULIANI, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I was stung by a jellyfish at Colva beach in South Goa, India about a week ago. I took some pain killer injection and rinsed with water. For two days it burnt like blazes, and it was fine for the next 5 days with minor swelling and redness. About a week later it has started itching terribly and the affected area has become blood red. Applying ice is a good idea, although best is to consult a dermatologist and take proper medication.

Comment from: Katq, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was stung by a box jellyfish in North Carolina a week ago, and it was terrible. I picked all the tubule things out and as I thought it was healing a massive itchy rash broke out a week later. The only thing kind of helping is tea tree essential oil.

Comment from: Mag , 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 15

I experienced a jellyfish sting on Hilton Head Island on Thursday August 9, 2018. I was in the ocean and felt a sudden sharp sting on my left foot and ran out of the water as quickly as I could. It turned bright red and continued to sting for about 5 hours. The sting was around 5 inches long and 4 inches wide. Very painful. I treated it with vinegar spray from the lifeguard and it helped a little bit but it did not get better for a few days. I had red bumps.

Comment from: Lolly87, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I got stung by a jellyfish just over a week ago. Same thing, it hurt at first for a few hours then seemed to go down and was healing. Then all of a sudden yesterday, exactly a week after my sting I suddenly developed raised itchy rashes all over where the stings were. Today I have been given oral steroids and antihistamine. I have an ice pack on each leg where the stings are which is helping. The stings are still quite raised but the itching seems to be reducing. Slowly!

Comment from: Michpolo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was stung by a jellyfish in Aruba in February while sitting on a rope strung across the water (separating swimming from the boating area). I felt immediate low level pain on my back upper thigh; quickly escalated to extreme pain. I returned to the hotel room after buying cortisone and anti-itch cream. Didn't work; the pain was unbearable. I lay down and just kind of 'went with' the pain; unable to do anything else. After about 5 hours the pain calmed down somewhat and I was able to go out to dinner. At this point there were no marks on my thigh. Next day the pain was completely gone; still no marks. Four days later we returned home. Next morning I had severe itching, redness and welts all over the area. I used cortisone for the itching which helped. It lasted about a week. Now, 4 months later, I have discomfort in the same area which is also migrating to my lower buttock cheek and what appears to be a few little marks. I don't know if this is a reoccurrence of the sting or something else. I can't find any good information about the possibility of reoccurring pain from a sting.

Comment from: BKL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

I was wade fishing in shorts in waist deep water and was stung numerous times by jelly fish. I immediately had the stinging burning pain but continued to fish. When I got back to the boat I had numerous welts and red markings. I thought everything was fine and healing then after 8 days the welts became worse with intense itching. Three days now and no relief.

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I experienced immediate stinging and burning pain from the jellyfish sting. Left foot was bright red, with a dark color around the spot stung. It looked like someone snapped me with a long rubber band. Lifeguard had me wash it off in the salt water, and never being stung before did not know for 2 days after that I still had stingers in my foot. My foot swelled and is still swollen not allowing me to put a shoe on after 5 days. I am currently taking Motrin, Keflex, and Benadryl.

Medically reviewed by Avrom Simon, MD; Board Certified Preventative Medicine with Subspecialty in Occupational Medicine

REFERENCE: