Jellyfish Stings

What was the treatment for your jellyfish sting? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Johnson10, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was stung 3 times by a jellyfish about 10 days ago. It is best to rinse it with vinegar then have a hot bath for 30 minutes and take an antihistamine. All stings scabbed over and almost disappeared but for the past three days they have all become swollen and itchy again. The only thing that has helped is hemorrhoid cream!

Comment from: Hailstorm07, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

This is for the itch that comes a week after a jellyfish sting. Trust me, you will try every hydrocortisone cream out there and nothing will touch this itch! So I made an oatmeal poultice and had immediate relief. What you need are Ace bandage, hand towel, rolled oats, and milk. Put a cup or two of oats in a bowl, put enough water to make a thick porridge consistency, add a 1/4 cup of milk and let sit 5 to 8 minutes. By hand pat on some of the oats until the sting site is covered, soak cloth in 'oat milk', and wrap in Ace bandage.

Comment from: Me, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I was stung by a jellyfish at the beach 6 days ago. It stung for about 15 minutes but then stopped. We soaked my foot in vinegar and then used our key card to scratch out some of the venom. We read up and it said that about 1 to 4 weeks after you got stung it would swell up and itch again. And right now it itches so bad I am having trouble sleeping because nothing will stop the itching. All it looks like now is a scrape but itches like a horrible bug bite.

Comment from: Tiffany, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 14

I am doing research for a naturopathic doctor who is treating a patient for chronic muscle spasms and periodic paralysis with abdominal issues and respiratory issue. I have found that high doses of vitamin C is very useful to start taking right away after a jellyfish sting. Copied verbatim from a Hawaiian travel guide for stings: 'The key to this treatment is the high dose of Vitamin C which we have found can stop all sorts of venom/toxin/poison in its tracks. Taking very large doses is safe, and you can spread it out to help with absorption. For example, 500 mg every 15 minutes for several hours.' Due to the recurrence of symptoms months later for some, vitamin C will boost the immune system and help disperse and detox venom. Use a powder, non-toxic and food based vitamin C. You can dissolve and use directly on rash area. It is best to not use vinegar. It is not useful. Hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Jen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

In the surf, I stepped on a jellyfish, got stung from the knee down on my left leg. I just happened to have a drink called White Russian waiting for me and I dumped it on the stings. About 2 weeks later, the skin reacted and became very itchy.

Comment from: Angel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I heard a guest at the hotel in Mexico that I was staying at had been stung by a jellyfish. It made me wonder if what I felt the day before was also a jellyfish sting. I had a knee replacement 9 months ago and the skin around there is still partially numb. I felt a spastic shocking pain around that area. No redness or marks though. It lasted for about an hour. I wonder if it is possible that I experienced a jellyfish sting.

Comment from: Kalena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was stung by a box jellyfish on a Hawaiian vacation in February 2015. It affected my respiratory system with shortness of breath and chest pains. I was 1 of 6 people that day that ended up in the hospital from jellyfish stings with the same problem. It was painful for 12 hours and nothing helped except ice and Benadryl for respiratory relief. Today almost 3 weeks later I'm itching like no tomorrow and nothing is helping.

Comment from: Jellyfish Sting, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I was stung by a Jellyfish when at the beach. It swelled a bit, and stung for about an hour to two. I thought nothing of it, but one week later my sting started to swell again, and the itching was pretty terrible. I have had a hard time sleeping the past three nights now. I have found that Benadryl has really helped. I asked my sister-in-law who is a nurse if she could ask any doctors she works for if this is normal. Apparently it is, and it's an allergic reaction to the venom they give you with a sting. It should flare up for a couple of days, and then go back to normal. I just have to push through. If you are struggling with the itching like myself, antihistamines seem to help.

Comment from: Yogabyrose, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was swimming in Florida this Sunday when I felt a bite at my left rib cage to shoulder to pelvic bone was stung. Today I have muscle spasms and the area is black. I am concerned that I have a bad headache.

Comment from: DocKristen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

After SCUBA diving, I noticed my right hand had minor stinging. Having been stung many times in my life by jellyfish, I ignored the itch and it subsided in about 30 minutes. I never thought about it again until waking up in the middle of the night 10 days later to severe itch in that area. Within two days my entire right hand has blisters and pain and severe itching. I started on oral Benadryl, topical Benadryl and antibiotic ointment. I kept it covered and put a glove to prevent from scratching it. From what I have read this can be a recurring event over the next 1 to 2 months. Oh joy!

Comment from: jane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I was stung on the shin by a jellyfish here in Florida. The rash lasted a week but returned a week later, and lasted a week. A year later I broke out in a blister-type rash on the same shin. Two doctor's visits were a waste of time, prescribing cortisone cream and antibiotics. The rash lasted an entire year! Now, it has returned! The itching is relentless! My regular doctor didn't even listen to my story, saying it's stress related! I found a picture of my rash online but no info on how to treat this. I'm seeing another dermatologist next week. Maybe this one will listen to me.

Comment from: Tess, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I went swimming yesterday here at the big island Hawaii when I was stung by a jellyfish. I washed with cold water and ice. It seems like everything is alright! Today, I have itchy welts, though.

Comment from: Heather, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I was stung a little over a week ago on both of my legs. Exactly a week later the areas on my legs that were stung became inflamed and itchy. I tried hydrocortisone cream, which helped a little, but didn't take much of the itching away. I then tried calamine lotion which helped stop the itching and lasted for a much longer period of time. So for me calamine lotion was very helpful. Hope that helps!

Comment from: Pippa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I sat on a jellyfish three days ago in Mykonos. It was very painful! It felt like multiple red hot needles going into me. I rested overnight and kept quiet and then went to a pharmacy in town where I was sold hydrocortisone cream. This is working to a certain degree but I have a terribly upset stomach.

Comment from: klove, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was stung in Trinidad over the summer and the site still throbs. I have seen two doctors and I have gotten no advice.

Comment from: Jay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was stung by a jellyfish a week and a half ago. I developed welts and the area on the back of my leg got dark. The stinging stopped and I thought I was okay but now the area has now developed a rash and is a bit itchy.

Comment from: XGhost, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

We were on vacation on time and I kicked a beach ball away from me and I felt a biting pain in my calf. It kind of looked like noodles or stringy pasta. There wasn't any urine involved so I just freaked out and poured Coca-Cola on my leg. It was weird, but it felt better.

Comment from: LillieLOveBLue, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I was on holiday in Alicante Finestrat, when I went in the deep water where I could not touch the ground. I was near some rocks with my sister when I sat down on the rocks and felt really bad. I thought I was sitting on a jellyfish or jellyfish was on my back legs then I got up and realized nothing was there. It hurt for a week my mum thought it was mites. I went to the hospital back in Britain and the nice lady said it was a jellyfish sting!

Comment from: caza96, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My grandson came in contact with a jelly fish with some blue coloring through it. The sea water was so warm which irritated the sting area. So I used cool cold water to rinse the stung area and applied an ice block. I had no vinger. Cold fresh water worked..

Comment from: tina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I got stung in Costa Rica. Locals said lime juice and hot sand. Swelling and marks went away within an hour!

Comment from: Dakota Cantrell, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

First I put vinegar on it, then I put hydrocortisone on it. That's all I've done so far. I'm only 10 yrs old, and I got stung about an hour ago by a moon jelly.

Comment from: Nicole Hart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I got stung by a jellyfish about 2 weeks ago. It stung for about 45 minutes and then it pretty much stopped. A week later I got the swelling and intense itching. I tried everything, vinegar, aloe, alcohol, but the anti-itch cream seemed to be the only one to lightly stop the itching. I didn;t sleep for two days. but I'm on day four now and it hardly itches at all even though the marks are still red but not really swollen like before. In my experience so far it seems like it will go away, you just gotta fight through it. Thank goodness the itching is over. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Goldenamber, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I got stung yesterday and was told to put vinegar or my own urine on it. I didn't have any vinegar so I used the urine and then I put neosporin on the sting. So far so good.

Comment from: OnlyAngie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was in Cancun, Mexico and in water that was thigh high in the water when I got stung. Quickly the lifeguard put vinegar on then minutes later placed an ointment with gauze. The next day I had no pain, no severe swelling but there was welting with redness.

Comment from: Stung, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

SO I have been all over the internet for hours and I have found lots of info on first aid for Jellyfish stings right when they occur but absolutely no answers or information on what to do for "flare ups" that seem to happen a week later to a month later. Well, let me back up, I was stung by a jelly fish a week ago, received first aid from the public safety officials said it was fine in an hour, no problem with the sting, just a few lingering red marks. Now a week later the remarks are swollen, and painfully itchy and nothing I do seems to help them. What is surprising is that this is apparently common since I found many many people with this same or similar problem asking this same question but NO answers. No website to refer them too, no facts, I was looking for something as simple as a "yeah this is common, it'll go away in a few hours, days etc" or a "You can see your doctor for an antibiotic cream" but there is nothing. Somebody needs to answer this question of why this happens and what to do about it!

Comment from: Heidi/EMT, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 12

Household ammonia, isopropyl alcohol, white vinegar and mix into a paste with baking soda. Apply to jellyfish sting and cover with a warm towel . Heat is the answer to jellyfish stings, never use ice. You will find this remedy to be instant pain relief.

Comment from: channa, Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

After a week of intense itching which got progressively worse, I was put on a regimen of oral antihistamine and antibiotics.

Comment from: Jellyfishhater, Published: May 23

I had an allergic reaction to a jelly fish sting a few days ago. It got really bad and my tongue and throat started swelling. It was a miracle that they had Benadryl with them but that is not an experience I want to go through again.

Medically reviewed by Avrom Simon, MD; Board Certified Preventative Medicine with Subspecialty in Occupational Medicine

REFERENCE: