Jock Itch (cont.)
What Is the Follow-up for Jock Itch?
Use any medication the way it is prescribed and for the length of time prescribed. Do not stop because the rash goes away quickly.
If instructed to do so, follow up with your doctor to be rechecked even if the rash has completely gone away.
How Do I Prevent Jock Itch?
To prevent jock itch, try to keep your groin area clean and dry.
- Use cornstarch, powders, even antifungal powder, such as Desenex or Cruex, in the various skin folds.
- It is best to wear loose-fitting cotton underwear.
- From a public-health perspective, sterilizing linens by washing in hot soapy water with bleach can help in situations of communal bedding and bath linens.
What Is The Prognosis for Jock Itch?
- Most cases of jock itch go away completely but commonly return if the physical environment recurs.
- An infection may come back for some people.
- In others, it may become chronic.
Medically reviewed by Norman Levine, MD; American Board of Dermatology
Yosipovitch, Gil, Amy DeVore, and Aerlyn Dawn. "Obesity and the Skin: Skin Physiology and Skin Manifestations of Obesity." J Am Acad Dermatol June 2007: 901-916.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 10/19/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Jock Itch
Athlete's foot is a superficial skin infection of the foot caused by a moldlike fungus, though the term is often used for any inflammation of the foot skin. Sym...learn more >>
A rash is a visible skin outbreak. Examples of noni...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Jock Itch: