Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)

What were the symptoms of your kidney Infection? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tracey, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 10

I have had a kidney and gastrointestinal infection and have today finished the antibiotics I was prescribed by my doctor. The symptoms are still there! I have back pain on both sides and foul iron smell when I urinate.

Comment from: Bubsbaby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have a kidney infection right now. I've had a urinary tract infection (UTI) for quite a while and have not been able to get rid of it no matter what I have tried. Come to find out I have a cystocele and that's what's causing me to keep having UTI. Anyway I went to the emergency room a couple days ago and the infection has moved into my kidneys. My symptoms were severe back pain, my sides ached, stomach pain, pelvic pain, headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, burning pain upon and after urination plus more. I have not ran a fever though. My temperature has actually been below 97.5. All I know is a UTI is no joke especially when the infection gets into your kidneys. It is horrible.

Comment from: Sylvia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 04

I had been having back pain for over a month. I went to several emergency rooms (ERs) before finding a good one that hospitalized me for a week, with a severe kidney infection; although I had no pain urinating. I was on IV antibiotics in hospital, morphine for pain, and got weaned off morphine to Tylenol 325 mg. Only needed once daily to no pain. I've been home a week, wanted to go back to work even though my strength is nowhere near where it was. I'm weak and can't pick up my grandbaby who's 3, when standing too long I have to sit, and going to grocery store just wears me out. Being in the healthcare industry you need your strength. First day back today and I've been in bed all day with my pains again and I'm lying on a heating pad to help. Reading all these comments have helped. I have always been a strong person, never depended on anyone and here I am frustrated that I'm so weak. But I think I've got to quit my job, I'm just not able to work at this moment. If my pain gets worse I guess I will have to go back to the ER.

Comment from: Angie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

It started out with very bad pain on my right side of my back at the bottom. I started vomiting and diarrhea, ran a fever for a day and I lay in bed for a week before I was able to drive myself to the hospital. They did blood work and checked my urine and said I had a kidney infection. I was given fluids and shots of antibiotics and pain shots, sent home with pills for pain, antibiotics and Ambien for 7 days. I'm still not well, my back is hurting so bad I had to rub it with tiger balm to numb it for a little while. I'm still sick, I wonder if I should go back to the hospital and make them x-ray my back.

Comment from: Anna levis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am having a severe pain in my left kidney some of the time but I am not sure that what the actual reason was, for this severe pain. I am worried about my kidney pain. I have also consulted a doctor and am taking medicines but some of the time I am having severe pain without any reason as I have no kidney stone in my kidney. I have researched a lot about this severe pain attacks and I have found several ideas why I am having this pain but not sure that the mentioned reasons are the cause of this pain. I wonder if the actual reason of this intolerable pain is kidney infection.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I am a 27 year old man who went to the ER a week ago and was diagnosed with a kidney infection. I was treated with IV fluids, pain medication and sent home with antibiotics. I have been back to the ER twice since. The pain is still severe. I am constantly sick to my stomach, vomiting; now I have a horrible headache and my blood pressure is 160/54. They said I don't have an infection now and sent me home with vicodin which is not helping. I feel worse not better.

Comment from: maria, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Hi everyone, I have a left atrophic kidney (very mall and damaged) next to no function since I was a teenager. I too have been hospitalized many times with vomiting, high fever and unbelievable flank pain which is lower side/back pain, but I also get pain shooting down the front also. My kidney spasms a lot, so I do get this uncomfortable pain without a fever or vomitting. I was just told my creatinine level is over 300 (in Canada) normal is from 50-100. I'm a little scared but I don't complain, I have gotten used to the annoying pain over the years and sometimes I wait to long to mention and end up with a bad infection. I do get chronic u.t.i's. Oh well I guess I will have to wait and see what's next for me.

Comment from: Rosie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

For a lot of years I have been treated for kidney problems. My doctor is retiring and it seems I have been put on the shelf. At the moment I am suffering terrific back pain which has not been like this for a very long time. My kidney function has been poor, but my old doctor said it was ok now. The pain I am getting is in both sides, into base of back then into groins. I'm ok if I am resting but as soon as I move it's all back. Today also I have to spend loads of pennies more than usual, as I do have to go to the loo a lot on a normal day. As my daughter is a nurse I have described the pain as like being in labor [when having a baby]. My doctor had told me my kidney function had been very low. My blood count and also liver function is not what it should be, plus B/P and cholesterol is up. I am on medication. In 1982 I did have a major kidney operation this was to remove a growth off the right kidney. In the past 2 years things were a bit better, I'm now beginning to wonder if this is right.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

A few years back I had high fever, dull back pain on my right side and vomiting a lot. I went to the doctor and they sent me to the hospital due to a kidney infection. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks because I had really high fever and vomited a lot and nothing seems to be helping. Finally, 2 days without fever I was able to go home. 4 years later I was getting UTIs all the time they ran test after test to find out what might be causing them, but nothing would come up. Finally, I guess one medicine worked and I did not get one for awhile. I know I have one again so I started to drink lots of water and started to take AZO which helps with the pain. I haven't had any fever, but I do have this pain in my back and all my other symptoms have disappeared. Has anyone ever just had pain in their back? Also, to the person who say's they don't know if they should go to the doctor. From the sounds of your symptoms you should go to the doctor. If you let it get worse you could end up in the hospital like me and that's going to cost you a lot more. I had my symptoms for 2 days only before I went and because I did not get on medication right away it got really bad. Sorry to say this but there is no way around it. You have to see a doctor if it's gotten to your kidney's.

Comment from: sweets87, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I have had several kidney infections and once hospitalized for three days. I now believe I have a serious kidney infection again, but am a single mom with not much money and I can't afford to really go to a doctor. It hit me very suddenly just three days ago and I have literally been in excruciating pain. My left kidney is throbbing and its making it very difficult to stand at times and it hurts worse than ever to breathe deep. It feels like its stretching and going to rip. The pain is horrific. I feel very faint at times and extremely nauseous. Breathing and standing is becoming more difficult for me. I can no longer pick up my son. I don't think I have a fever and it doesn't hurt to pee, but I have been peeing more frequently. My left side of my abdomen is now starting to hurt beyond bad as well. I never had the excruciating pain when I would breathe deep. Does anyone have suggestions or has anyone experienced the difficulty breathing?.

Comment from: Shari75, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I started feeling a stinging when passing urine, which I thought was a simple case of cystitis. I self-treated with over the counter sachets and it got better. A few days later, I began feeling unwell with a headache, nausea and a horrible pain in my right side/flank. Later, I was seen by a doctor who found protein and blood in my urine and diagnosed a kidney infection. I was prescribed Cipro and within 24 hours, I feel so much better!

Comment from: Lucky 2 B here, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I thought I had a really bad flu and ended up in the ER. The triage nurse saved my life. He recognized that my symptoms were out of proportion to the problem. As it turns out I had a double kidney infection, a urinary tract infection and sepsis. I was in critical care for one week and every doctor was amazed because I never had kidney or lower back pain.

Comment from: Deee, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have had two kidney infections in the past 3 months and was hospitalized for 2 days for each. It's now 3 weeks later and I believe it is back. My first symptom is always lower back pain. I get no relief from by stretching or massaging. I also get a dull ache in my groin.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

For the past month I've been dealing with my kidney infection and it's apparently all healed up. When I first experienced it my symptoms were mostly vomiting, fatigue, and dehydration. Even though my infection is healed, I'm having issues with keeping fluids and food down. I never experience nausea anymore but I still vomit once a day. I'm 19 and it's mostly frustrating at this point.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I had lower side and back pain and my urine was very dark.

Comment from: sassyb1793, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I had really bad stomach and back pain and it hurt to pass urine. I also had a very high fever and got to the doctor ASAP. Turns out it was a kidney infection and I got on antibiotics.

Comment from: vote, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

I am 32. A few years ago I had this pain on my rear back side, lower back. I went for a scan and was told to avoid cold places. The pain went away without medication last year it started again bit on both sizes now.

Comment from: KittyCatPaws2012, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

Hi I am a 29 year old lady. I woke up to a lot of pain and it got worse as I lay back down. I kept on throwing up also. I had to have my mom drive to the hospital because I was in pain. I had to take a urine test and then wait again. When I got called back to a room the doc came in and told me I had a kidney infection.

Comment from: Chase, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I had blinding pain in left flank, rapid heart rate, chills, fever, and dizziness. I went to the hospital and they suspected twisted ovary. I had ultrasound, which found some fluid on right side. They suspected burst cyst. I went home with codeine and antibiotics. I followed up with the family doctor. As it turns out he thinks it's kidney infection, so I've been on antibiotics for a week now.

Comment from: alfies nan, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

My recent symptoms were fever, hot and cold, nausea, feeling of being drunk, vomiting, unable to walk from room to room, pain in back and under ribs and hallucinations.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have flank pain on both sides, and trace blood and leukocytes in my urine.

Comment from: Sister, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

With my kidney infection, I had a white mucus discharge and very strong, old smelling urine.

Comment from: BASAVARAJ.S.B, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 20

My doctor said that my kidney infection was due to dengue fever. I am hardly excreting urine.

Comment from: Phoebe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I suffer because of this kidney infection; my left side always pains me at times down to my leg. I feel back pain and other related symptoms. I have been on medication for over four months now, but to no avail, the pains still persist. I pray that we all get well.

Comment from: sbrooks, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I've been seen by a doctor and I was diagnosed with a kidney infection. I've been following doctor's orders but I keep having nausea and vomiting.

Comment from: garry, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

For my kidney infection, I had lower back pain and pain in my sides. And, it really hurts to stand up after sitting.

Comment from: fran, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

With my kidney infection, I have a dull throb on the left side above my hips. It has been there all day and it is starting to worsen.

Comment from: Trent, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I recently was diagnosed of passing a kidney stone which seems to have lead to a kidney infection. Blood was found in my urine and I was extremely dehydrated (due to vomiting). I did have a half day stay in the hospital and plenty of IV's. I have am on medication and have been told it could take a week or more to make decent health progress.

Comment from: wundermum, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I've just undergone treatment for a kidney infection, the second in four months. I had a high fever with chills and extreme fatigue. I was dizzy and off balance, and I had lower back pain when I inhaled. I thought I just needed a prescription, but the doctor sent me immediately to the ER.

Comment from: Lou, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

When I had a kidney infection, my symptoms were lower back pain and lower front abdominal pain.

Comment from: mom_at_wits_end, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 01

My daughter (now age 10) has had kidney infections for several years. Each time, she gets a headache, nausea, high fever, pain on one side of her back. Usually she has no "typical" symptoms such as pain urinating or frequent urination. The only underlying cause her doctors have found is chronic constipation. Her life is ruled by constantly drinking enormous amounts of water and daily fiber supplements.

Comment from: S, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

When I had a kidney infection, I had a dull pain on the lower side of my back.

Comment from: wokgeo, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

A long time ago I got a kidney infection. It started out with a dull pain in my lower back. (I got constipation a lot as well for some reason) I decided to leave it and hope it would go away but it got worse and I started having stabbing pains suddenly, which were probably to the worst thing I had ever felt in my life and I couldn't sleep at all. I went to the doctor and they gave me medication and told me I had a kidney infection which would have been a lot worse if I had left it alone any longer.

Comment from: lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

A week ago on Monday, I woke up with a pain on my left side. I figured it was from sleeping wrong. I went to bed the next night and I woke at 4:00 a.m. not being able to move. I went to the emergency room and they took X-rays and a urine sample. The doctor concluded that it was a kidney infection and prescribed an antibiotic. I had no other symptoms: no fever, no vomiting, no pain during urination, or anything else commonly associated with kidney infections.

Comment from: alfjess, 25-34 Female Published: December 11

With my kidney infection, I had severe back pain and the frequent urge to use the restroom. I'm generally feeling yucky.

Comment from: InPain&Confused, 35-44 Female Published: November 09

I had been having incontence problems for some time (on and off since 2005)and went to the doctor for some relief - Some pain in my left flank was involved; however none associated with urination. I was told that blood was found in my urine and a CT scan was performed. They found two large kidney stones. The doctor performed cystoscopy and advised me that he would also biopsy my bladder; however, when I awakended from the outpatient surgery I was advised by my spouse that the doctor informed him that they could not remove the stones, due to the size and I also learned that they did not complete a biopsy. The stones are inside of a liquid sac and appear to be lodged inside of a calyx. This surgery costs approximately $12K and I still have the pain (although not as severe as explained by others (my assumption is that this is due that the stones remain in my kidneys and are not mobile), kidney stones, and the incontinence. I feel as if I have been burglarized. I've looked all over the internet and have went to several doctors to determine if my symptons and diagnosis is common. The symptons appear to be somewhat common, but I am unable to locate any information about kidney stones inside of a liquid sac. Searching for answers - please help!!

Comment from: Lorraine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

Hi. I am a 54 year old and I have had blood in my urine for 3 months, my doctor said it was kidney stones as I only had one real bad pain in my right side. I was instructed to come back in a month if the blood was still there. I work in a hospital and I was checking myself. I am not sick and have no other symptoms except for a dull pain on my side that comes and goes, and of course the blood. He is now sending me for a CT scan. I am very worried that it could be bladder cancer, even though there are so many other reasons.

Comment from: sbu, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I have side and back pain every morning when I wake and even at night. I should probably get to a doctor, as I hear that once there is blood in the urine, it means the infection has gotten really bad.

Comment from: babygirl36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I started having a pain in the right side and lower part of my back. Every day my pain got worse. I started urinating a lot and my urine had a funny scent and color. After the pain became unbearable I went to the doctor. At first I thought it was gas, but I was told by the doctor, it is a kidney infection. I was given 3 days off and antibiotics and pain medication. And I was told to buy and drink cranberry juice. Today is my 3rd day home, the pain is not as bad now, but my back is killing me and I feel really tired.

Comment from: watergirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I was driving home from work the other day when I began to experience pain on the right lower side of my back. It wasn't until the next day that I realized that I may have a kidney infection. I have taken 2 Aleve for the pain and I am trying to drink water. I have also noticed that I have made many frequent trips to the restroom within the past two days.

Comment from: glenncredi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm a 30 year old male and I had passed 3 kidney stones about 5 years ago. Talk about pain, it will make a grown man cry. Anyway off and on for the past year I will get nasty lower back pain especially when I'm laying down, it's progressively gotten more frequent. I have no other symptoms just pain. I'm currently laid off from work and have no insurance so I have been dealing with it but its starting to really worry me because it's been going on so long.

Comment from: bartho, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I have pain at about the bra line radiating somewhat to my right side. I have my gall bladder out and this mostly reminds me of gall bladder pain. I don't think it is back pain. I have had the pain since last Saturday.

Comment from: nickels, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have had recurrent UTI's since I was three years old. I was found to have a reflux ureter that later was said to be outgrown. I continue to have kidney infections, quite often with little to no bladder symptoms. I have had the full scope of antibiotics and have been hospitalized for two weeks at a time.

Comment from: maureen, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

Increasing pain on my right side from groin to rib cage front and back, nausea , gassy bloated very distracting can't focus.

• Kidney Infection - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?

Post View 7 Comments
  • Kidney Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with kidney infection.

Post View 9 Comments

REFERENCE: "Acute complicated cystitis and pyelonephritis"
UpToDate.com