Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?

Comment from: Angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

My first kidney stone was 2.5 cm; yes cm. A whole inch. I had to have it surgically removed through my kidney. It was the worst thing I have ever done in my life! I had a nephrostomy tube hanging out my back for a whole month! I then passed a 4 mm stone with relative ease. I did need an emergency room trip and some pain medications. Now I am having the familiar stomach ache that I had then and some pain in the right kidney area, but nothing serious. No blood in urine so I guess I am hanging out and waiting until something else happens.

Comment from: Pryorstat2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I was very anxious about having ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy) done for kidney stone on my left side. After reading all the horror stories about the stent being put in. Well, my stone was 6 mm and my urologist assured me I wouldn't need a stent. Last thing I remember was talking to the doctor. I woke up 45 minutes later pain free and don't remember a thing. I urinated minuscule stone fragments for a couple of days and then stone free. Best decision I ever made to have it done. To avoid that horrible pain everyone tells me will happen if it tries to pass on its own, it was totally worth it. I will have it done again if I have too. By the way, the urologist said stent is usually required if stone is over 8 mm.

Comment from: bicarb warrior, (Patient) Published: May 27

I am just experiencing my second bout of kidney stones. I have also suffered gout in the past and I think kidney stones are just the next step along from gout, as they are both caused by excess uric acid buildup in the blood, causing painful crystals to form in different areas of the body. Bi-carbonate of soda has done wonders in clearing up both problems for me. Add 1 flat teaspoon in a small glass of water. Then drink lots of water and rest if possible. I find that I sleep a lot after taking the bi-carbonate and feel a lot better just after the first dose. Keep taking it until the stones are finally dissolved and all the pain is gone.

Comment from: jitermac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had 3 procedures for kidney stones in the last 3 months. On my left side I had surgery and they got several hundred stones, were not able to get them all because the kidney swelled. A month later they went in vaginally and got the rest. Last week they zapped the ones in my right side. Nothing has passed yet. They do not know what is causing these stones. They are calcium stones, but my calcium levels are normal.

Comment from: B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have had lithotripsy four times and am preparing for the 5th time. It is apparently effective in eliminating the kidney stones that I have, but then more appear, and I have to have lithotripsy again. From what I understand having lithotripsy all the time is preferable to having kidney stones all the time or having surgery involving incisions, but contrary to what they tell you lithotripsy is not easy and is not pain free. The last time I had it I was in the worst pain of my life, spent an entire night in the emergency room, and three more days flat on my back on bed. It was 6 weeks recovery time total.

Comment from: ldt0706, (Patient) Published: March 26

I had kidney stones for years, starting when I was 15 to 21. I had episodes of them every year. My stones were caused by calcium. I finally had a doctor check my blood calcium levels, and they too were elevated. I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. I had my over active parathyroid removed which restored my body's calcium levels to normal, it is 7 years later and I haven't had an issue with kidney stones since.

Comment from: gacat.59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I've had kidney stones approx. 25 times since 2000 -- my urologist says they are "classic" calcium stones, yet offers no help in prevention -- he's also greedy with the pain meds -- tells me that a particular stone "isn't very bad and should not be too bad" it's evident he's never had one & I wish our city had more than 2 urologists so I could find someone who actually cared about me and my pain rather than just getting rich off repeat trips for an unresolved problem

Comment from: Jenjen9085, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a bit of pain when I pressed on my belly. I also had a fever of 103 and bad chills, and couldn't stop shaking. I went to the emergency room and was admitted, and had CAT scan. Image showed infected stone on the left kidney. I had a stent put in, no problem. I will follow up with urologist in a week or so to see if I might have to blast the stone. I also have s lesion on my right kidney; the adventure continues. I am in no pain at all. The stent is nothing, at least for this sixty one year young female.

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan What is a CT scan? Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are important diagnostic tools for a variety of medical conditions. Some areas of the body frequentl...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure in which...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?