Kidney Stones

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Angela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 26

My first kidney stone was 2.5 cm; yes cm. A whole inch. I had to have it surgically removed through my kidney. It was the worst thing I have ever done in my life! I had a nephrostomy tube hanging out my back for a whole month! I then passed a 4 mm stone with relative ease. I did need an emergency room trip and some pain medications. Now I am having the familiar stomach ache that I had then and some pain in the right kidney area, but nothing serious. No blood in urine so I guess I am hanging out and waiting until something else happens.

Comment from: Pryorstat2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

I was very anxious about having ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy) done for kidney stone on my left side. After reading all the horror stories about the stent being put in. Well, my stone was 6 mm and my urologist assured me I wouldn't need a stent. Last thing I remember was talking to the doctor. I woke up 45 minutes later pain free and don't remember a thing. I urinated minuscule stone fragments for a couple of days and then stone free. Best decision I ever made to have it done. To avoid that horrible pain everyone tells me will happen if it tries to pass on its own, it was totally worth it. I will have it done again if I have too. By the way, the urologist said stent is usually required if stone is over 8 mm.

Comment from: bicarb warrior, (Patient) Published: May 27

I am just experiencing my second bout of kidney stones. I have also suffered gout in the past and I think kidney stones are just the next step along from gout, as they are both caused by excess uric acid buildup in the blood, causing painful crystals to form in different areas of the body. Bi-carbonate of soda has done wonders in clearing up both problems for me. Add 1 flat teaspoon in a small glass of water. Then drink lots of water and rest if possible. I find that I sleep a lot after taking the bi-carbonate and feel a lot better just after the first dose. Keep taking it until the stones are finally dissolved and all the pain is gone.

Comment from: jitermac, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I have had 3 procedures for kidney stones in the last 3 months. On my left side I had surgery and they got several hundred stones, were not able to get them all because the kidney swelled. A month later they went in vaginally and got the rest. Last week they zapped the ones in my right side. Nothing has passed yet. They do not know what is causing these stones. They are calcium stones, but my calcium levels are normal.

Comment from: B, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have had lithotripsy four times and am preparing for the 5th time. It is apparently effective in eliminating the kidney stones that I have, but then more appear, and I have to have lithotripsy again. From what I understand having lithotripsy all the time is preferable to having kidney stones all the time or having surgery involving incisions, but contrary to what they tell you lithotripsy is not easy and is not pain free. The last time I had it I was in the worst pain of my life, spent an entire night in the emergency room, and three more days flat on my back on bed. It was 6 weeks recovery time total.

Comment from: Jenjen9085, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I had a bit of pain when I pressed on my belly. I also had a fever of 103 and bad chills, and couldn't stop shaking. I went to the emergency room and was admitted, and had CAT scan. Image showed infected stone on the left kidney. I had a stent put in, no problem. I will follow up with urologist in a week or so to see if I might have to blast the stone. I also have s lesion on my right kidney; the adventure continues. I am in no pain at all. The stent is nothing, at least for this sixty one year young female.

Comment from: Veeda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I have been living with kidney stones for 16 years now and still feel like the first time every time one has to pass. I am so fed up of the pain and wasting money on ultra sounds. I am trying to go vegan because I heard it helps!

Comment from: Star1958, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I have a 10 mm and a 16 mm kidney stone. I am due to have them lasered next Tuesday 20/12/2016. I am terrified! I have already passed a 6 mm stone. Never in my life have I experienced something so painful. Wish me luck.

Comment from: ldt0706, (Patient) Published: March 26

I had kidney stones for years, starting when I was 15 to 21. I had episodes of them every year. My stones were caused by calcium. I finally had a doctor check my blood calcium levels, and they too were elevated. I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. I had my over active parathyroid removed which restored my body's calcium levels to normal, it is 7 years later and I haven't had an issue with kidney stones since.

Comment from: gacat.59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I've had kidney stones approx. 25 times since 2000 -- my urologist says they are "classic" calcium stones, yet offers no help in prevention -- he's also greedy with the pain meds -- tells me that a particular stone "isn't very bad and should not be too bad" it's evident he's never had one & I wish our city had more than 2 urologists so I could find someone who actually cared about me and my pain rather than just getting rich off repeat trips for an unresolved problem

Comment from: Mari, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was doing fine until I got a sharp pain on my lower abdominal area. The pain was so bad, that I felt light headed, and didn't have an appetite. That night I went to bed, but the pain wouldn't go away. I didn't go to the emergency room. The next morning I could hardly walk to the bathroom with the pain. I took amoxicillin 500 mg, ibuprofen 800 mg, and 2 Azo pills. As the day went by, the pain had gone. I went to the restroom, and my urine was bloody. I got scared, but the kidney stone took its course going right through me. After that, I felt better. I will continue on what medications I took for 2 or 3 days. Back to normal.

Comment from: Windy 79, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 09

My urine test indicated least amount of blood, and the urologist set up kidney exam with drain tube and planned biopsy! Sunday night pain hit and it dawned on me that I had a stone, which two doctors never mentioned, and the procedure sounded awful. I did a very large enema and everything passed. I cancelled the procedure and got yelled at by nurse and hospital agent. I am no longer a patient of that urologist. Full relief took 20 minutes and I avoided a huge bill. I bought test sticks next day, and urine was clear.

Comment from: Granite, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I had kidney stone five years ago. It is the most excruciating pain I have felt in my life. My wife had heard eating soup made from horse gram (found it in Indian grocery store) breaks the kidney stones. I ate the soup for few days and the stone dissolved. I was screening the urine for several days but never saw it. I wanted to find out what kind of stone it was so I could be given the right medicine but never caught it. Now I keep my self-hydrated so I don't have to worry too much about stones.

Comment from: radaroy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 28

I just passed my fourth kidney stone. It was the absolute worst pain ever. I had abdominal pain, extreme pain in my testicles, and vomiting. Because it was my fourth stone. I knew exactly what to do. I went to the ER and got an IV mainly for fluids. I also got a shot of Toradol. I urinated through a screen and passed every stone within 72 hours.

Comment from: Ouch, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I have just had lithotripsy with the insertion of a stent. The pain after I returned home was unbearable the first night and the pain medication did not relieve it much. The pain from the stent was awful. When I returned to the doctor for a followup five days later I told him I wanted the stent out then and there. He said he preferred to leave it in a few more days or so, but I could not stand it, so he removed it. My stone was 1cm. I am still having pain.

Comment from: RobynToronto, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

Having kidney stones twice, my doctor suggested that I start drinking cranberry juice daily every morning, as cranberries are supposed to help prevent the formation of kidney stones. Well, I am not a big fan of juice, so thought I would give the Cranberry Concentrate from Lady Soma Products a try. It's a cranberry supplement with Vitamin C in it. I am very pleased with the product, and it has totally helped!

Comment from: cathycat123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

A few years after having Gastric Bypass surgery, I developed kidney stones that needed to be blasted. I was not drinking enough water and the doctors had told me to make sure and drink enough protein, which now I'm told high levels of protein are not good especially if you are dehydrated which I guess I was. I think I have them again but the one thing I know for certain is that I will never let them put in another stent in.

Comment from: newbie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had pain for a few days and saw the doctor and they treated me for a bladder infection. I was still in pain even after finishing the antibiotics so I went back and told the doctor about the back pain and bladder pain I was having. They found I had four kidney stones in my left kidney and told me to drink plenty of fluids as they were small enough to pass on my own. It's been six weeks and I am still in excruciating pain.

Comment from: Argent Dee, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

It all started in June and I didn't understand what was going on with me. I passed the first stone without any assistance and then I passed another one with assistance from the doctor. She gave me some tablets to help me pass the stones. She told me to exercise and drink a lot of water. After some days I managed to pass only one out. I went back to the doctor and they ran an ultrasound and CT scan to see if I still have more. They told me I still have more stone, but they are too small and currently the only way I can ease the pain is to place a warm cloth on the painful side.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

I went in to the Emergency room and even though I told them I don't have insurance and that I have had stones before they did all kinds of Blood work and a CT scan. I'm sure this will cost me thousands, they send me home with a prescription for Vicodin and told me to wait it out. I read on here the home remedy of apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice I took it all day and just before bed. I got up in the middle of the night and passed the stone with no problem. Thanks who ever put this remedy on here. The doctors were of no help.

Comment from: Stubborn male, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I just completed the procedure that sends shock waves through body to break up my 10mm stone. The stone broke into two and still have not passed them all, but I'm taking pills designed to break them up further plus stent should rid them from me in a week or so I hope. The pain was/is excruciating and so I would highly recommend Percocet after trying unsuccessfully. Guys, the moment you experience pink/maple colored urine go see a urologist ASAP. Don't wait to be crippled in pain at 3 in the morning and rushed to the emergency room. I was stupid and ignored it. Drink tons of water to prevent the stones but once you feel the pain in your side it's too late and you must get them broken up...if not you could die from them, the pain itself or your spouse because you ignored the blood in your urine. Live and learn...

Comment from: Deborah D, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had the internal lithotripsy to blast 2 stones and then wore a stent for 7 days. These stones had reached the ureter. I am scheduled for an external lithotripsy in a few weeks for stones that have not reached the ureter. My stones are made of calcium oxalate. I was told to try to avoid food containing high levels of oxalates and to drink plenty of water with lemon as well as plain water.

Comment from: Alesandro Nero, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 23

I thought the pain from my kidney stones was the result of back injury and was only diagnosed with renal colic when I contracted septicemia. This caused a high temperature which brought on vomiting which then resulted in a bilateral hernia. The stones were then removed by endoscope surgery. That was 23 years ago, and it appears the condition has returned. Following a CT scan, I have been told I have stones in both kidneys, now I await up to date treatment, hopefully.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I was prescribed narcotics along with Flomax (drug used for men with prostate cancer) its purpose is to dilate the urethral tubules making it easier for the stone to pass! I was in torturing pain for three to four weeks. I was given a strainer to use to catch the stone but unfortunately I was unable to strain it and the pain suddenly stopped. It's been over a month now so I'm guessing I passed it somehow! I wanted to strain it and take it my urologist for lab testing so I know what it's made out of and how to prevent future stones! It was the worst pain in my entire life!

Comment from: Mother 1of 2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have had many kidney stones. The treatment that works best is to have a shot of Toradal as soon as I am in the ER. It helps with the spasms in the kidney until further treatment can be done.

Comment from: frice, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

Having had numerous bouts with kidney stones, I found the best remedy was a combination of apple cider vinegar and cranberry juice taken at bedtime. Put the apple cider vinegar in about a quarter of a small glass and then fill with the cranberry juice. The kidney stones will slide right through. First read about this in a natural health book.

Comment from: no longer stoned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Started having low back pain. As the pain moved from the back over my hip and into the groin area, the pain was so severe it took me to the floor. I was also vomiting I went to the ER where a CT scan confirmed a 6mm stone lodged in the ureter. A urine test also showed I had a UTI. I was given pain meds and antibiotics and sent home. Three days later I was admitted to the hospital. I was septic and in kidney failure. I was also severely dehydrated. My system was shutting down and I was very close to death. It was discoved that I still had 1 more stone in my kidney. This one was 7mm. It was "blasted" by Lithotripsy 2 weeks later. I now drink plenty of fluids and am thankful to be alive.

Comment from: healingathome, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

For my kidney stones, I have been drinking 8oz of warm water w/fresh lemon juice 1/2 of a lemon for a week now and it has seemed to help.

Comment from: anniemac, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Hi! I'm 72. I just got home from hospital after experiencing a kidney stone episode. It was so bad. I was on a drip for 48 hours, but I managed to pass the stone. It was dreadful. I would hate for anyone to go through this pain. I thought I was going to die; the pain was so bad. The pain was coming in waves and I could not pass urine so, I went back to the urologist for a checkup. They had me in a bed within 5 minutes of getting to the emergency room.

Comment from: A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I had a dull aching pain in my back with short bursts of sharp pain. I also, at the same time, had a UTI. I thought the infection was in my kidneys. I was on antibiotics and still went to work, though I walked a little funny from the pain. After a few days I called my doc back and he said that the medication I was on for migraine prevention can cause stones, so I should get a CT to rule that out. I did. It showed a small stone in the pelvis of the kidney, where urine collects before it goes on its way. I had Vicodin for pain. He said it should pass in a few days, and we decided to take a wait and see approach. That evening, only hours after I spoke with him, I suddenly didn't feel right. I went to the bathroom, dizzy. I washed my face and then had to sit on the floor because I could not stand. My arms went cold and I was shaking. Then the vomiting hit and so much pain I could not believe it (and I had taken Vicodin an hour before). I was driven to the ER and they didn't seem to understand the pain I was in. I waited a full hour before being seen for pain management, and by the time I was called back I was feeling totally fine. They gave me an IV. I refused morphine because there was no point. They seemed very upset that I already knew what was wrong with me.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am recurring kidney stone patient and was recently in the ER with a fairly new ER doctor. It is almost like he read your website word for word! As someone who has had 9mm stones before (believe me I know when I have one) your website was very informative and helpful. I was having a hard time understanding why, with the pain I was having in my right flank and blood in my urine.

Comment from: Butterfly50, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have had kidney stones twice. First time the Shock Wave Lithotripsy was given to me twice with stents. This did not break them up. Therefore, I had open back surgery. They removed the stones, but I will never have this kind of surgery gain. Now three years later. The stones are back. I had Lithotripsy again, and again, it did nothing. I hurt and don't know what to do. I hurt and don't know if I can afford surgery again. They charge $28,000 each time.

Comment from: Wintergirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

It was a cat and mouse game with my urologist and my kidney stones. I had an 8 mm stone, plus a couple smaller ones on two CT scans taken about a week apart, but by the time the urologist performed his procedure, they were gone. So my treatment was pain management which consisted of a morphine drip for 6 days during my first hospital stay, then again a morphine drip for 24 hours during my second hospital stay about 10 days later. The attending physician from my second hospital stay finally prescribed Percocet. My advice is to keep some Percocet on hand if you are prone to kidney stones, it will save you an uncomfortable and very painful emergency trip to the hospital, but take them as soon as the first twinges of pain start, or else it will be difficult to get the pain under control.

Comment from: Vijay, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I brought 8 bottles of drinking water of 1 litre each. I started drinking them, my aim was to finish 8 liters in 13 hours. Thats it. In between I ate only three apples. And some tea without milk. This helped with my kidney stones.

Medically reviewed by Michael Wolff, MD; American Board of Urology

REFERENCE:

Wolfson, A.B. Harwood-Nuss' Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2005.