Viewer Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Symptoms

For kidney stones, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

...
Comment from: Vellybean, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

For several weeks I had lower back pain. It wasn't disabling, just there. After three weeks, my right lower back hurt so bad I thought an ovary had twisted or something. I tried to wait it out. I took a hot bath. I got out of the tub and proceeded to start vomiting in the toilet. The pain in my back was severe. I woke my husband up and asked him to drive me to the emergency room. I then threw up more there and gave a urine sample. The pain was so bad, I could barely walk and talked very quietly. They did a CT scan and found out I had a 4 mm stone that was in my tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder. They gave me pain medications and anti-nausea medication. Once the pain was lessened, I was sent home with pain medication, anti-nausea medication, super strong Tylenol, and a medication that was to relax the walls of the tube. They told me to drink a lot of liquids with real lemon juice in them. It took three more days for it to move to my bladder and then came out with no issues. I am still waiting to find out what it is made of. I am 52 and it was my first stone ever. I hope I never get another one. It was worse than having a baby and I did all natural child birth with my two boys. Worst pain ever!

Comment from: Nunya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

My 36th birthday present was excruciating, life-changing pain, first in my bladder, then in my kidney. The first occurred on a Thursday morning. It woke me out of sleep at 4:30 am. My bladder was spasming a lot. By 6:30, I couldn't wait any longer for the urgent care center to open so I went to the emergency room (ER). I've had urinary tract infections (UTI) before, but never so painful. I essentially urinated blood into the sample cup, which freaked me out. The doctor said there was some infection but my symptoms were more like a kidney stone, so he offered me a CT scan. I declined thinking it was just a terrible UTI. I tried to work, but eventually went home when ibuprofen wasn't killing the pain anymore. Friday morning, my birthday, I woke up in the worst pain I will probably ever experience in my life. I wanted to die. I was screaming and writhing. I got a hold of my mom and she took me to the ER. Thankfully the pain passed after about 20 minutes. They did the CAT scan and found one stone about to enter my bladder and another in my kidney. Right as I was about to be discharged I had another attack. Thank goodness I was still there and on IV. They gave me Toradol earlier but the pain cut right through that so they gave me Dilaudid. It took some time to fully kick in but it was a life saver. I passed a stone, pain free, later that night. I guess I'm supposed to sit around and wait for the second to drop into my ureter a day, week, month, or years from now. Fun.

Comment from: MB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm a 53-year-old woman. I went to the emergency doctor on Saturday because I thought I had a urinary tract infection (UTI); pain on urination, urgency. She said there was no bacteria in the urine, but that there was blood in it, and that I should follow up with my doctor. Sunday I felt fine, but Monday morning about 4:45 after I got up for work I was in agony. I had severe stomach pain in my lower abdomen on the side where I thought the UTI was. I called in sick to work and started trying to find someone to drive me to the emergency room. After maybe 45 minutes to an hour, though, the pain abated. I went to the doctor's when it opened, and they said I had likely passed a kidney stone, and that I should catch the stone in my urine if I could, and see a urologist. Tuesday morning I had the same agonizing pain; lying on my side, moaning, sweating. This lasted again for about an hour. Then it went away. Wednesday I woke up with no pain, and lo and behold, there was the kidney stone. It was only about the size of a grain of rice; I can't believe something so small could cause so much pain. Anyway, I wanted to share my story because my pain wasn't constant and unending. It came in early morning, and then disappeared, leaving me feeling fine for 23 hours of the day. I didn't find any descriptions online that mentioned the pain might be so sporadic and inconstant.

Comment from: Kimmy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I had my first kidney stone 19 months ago at age 54. The pain bolted me upright in the bed and I had pelvic floor pain similar to the bearing down of childbirth with intense bladder urgency. The pain was in my left back and started radiating down my side at which point I had uncontrollable shakes and chills and then sudden violent vomiting. I had no idea what was going on but thought I might die. I have had natural childbirth to one of my four children and this was worse. I had to be treated for an infection (wonder if this caused the stone to pass). Six months passed and I had another. Then almost a year later they began again. I finally went to the emergency room when two came just 19 days apart. They confirmed that I had one passing unobstructed through the left ureter and another in my right kidney. Since then I've had 3 more episodes in the past 10 days. I believe the stone they saw in the emergency room is lodged in the ureter. I am finally making an appointment with a urologist as I can't take the pain any longer.

Comment from: Tafox, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I have been experiencing kidney pain for two weeks now. A trip to the emergency room and I was told I have a kidney stone, after a CT scan. The doctor said the stone should not be causing the level of pain that I'm experiencing as I have no other symptoms except nausea. It's also hard and painful to sleep on the affected side I am not sure why. I was not given any advice when I was discharged from hospital so am in the dark as to how long I need to put up with the pain. It's time for a second opinion.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Kidney Stones

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan What is a CT scan? Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are important diagnostic tools for a variety of medical conditions. Some areas of the body frequentl...learn more >>
Cystoscopy
Cystoscopy Cystoscopy is a diagnostic procedure in which...learn more >>
Dehydration (Adults)
Dehydration in Adults Dehydration occurs when the loss of body fluids (mostly water), exceeds the amount that is taken in. Causes of learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Stones:

Kidney Stones - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney stones?