Kidney Transplant: End-Stage Renal Disease

How did your kidney transplant procedure go? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: gary v, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

My kidney transplant was in October 1971 from my mom - next month she will be 95 years of age. One of ten children, four of us are with CKD (chronic kidney disease). On hemodialysis for approximately one year prior to transplant. Much credit to medical staff now and in the past, as well as support of others, and Mom. Stay active, take medicines and do check-ups. Every day is a gift. Best to all.

Comment from: Wynne, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 30

My husband’s kidney transplant procedure went unexpectedly well. His kidney is viewed as a true miracle; he was told the wait was 3 to 5 plus years (he waited 2 months). He has been determined to do everything to keep kidney healthy and so far, he’s proven quite a strong trooper. We both understand that a man died for my husband to get his kidney. Such a deep sacrifice deserves all our gratitude.

Comment from: Raja, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I am male, 57. I had a long history of hypertension and had 16 months of peritoneal dialysis. I got a kidney from a living donor from paired exchange kidney transplant program 5 weeks ago. My new kidney did very well in the beginning. Then I had rejection, went through plasma exchange and strong doses of anti-rejection medication. It is working fine now. Recovery is going smooth.

Comment from: Mike 28, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am 36 and I got diagnosed with Fabry disease 5 year ago which means I urinate protein out and keep the fat in as I have no enzyme to break it down. Every 2 weeks a nurse comes to my house and gives me a cannula which is attached to a bag of the enzyme which lasts up to 1 hour. Over time with no enzyme it has damaged my kidneys. My kidneys were working at 26 percent when I got diagnosed with Fabry. After 1 year my kidneys went to 18 percent so I had an operation to get the peritoneal dialysis tube put in my belly to get ready to start dialysis at home, 8 hours a night (I also work 4 shifts a week on 12 hours). Then I went on the transplant list. I was on the list for 3 months and on the 16th May I got a phone call saying they had a kidney for me, so I had my kidney transplant the same day. I woke up with a really sore leg, it felt heavy, and I was in a lot of pain. I still have pain to this day, I asked the doctors why and they said it will get better, it was just that where they have cut me open at the front of my belly my nerves run down my leg so they have hit my nerves to open me up. It will get better over time. I would just like to also say I have got mixed emotions, I am feeling happy but also down but that might be because of all the tablets, and hopefully the down bit will go. The hospital really looked after me, they were brilliant.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I went into kidney failure around 2004. I first went on peritoneal dialysis. Besides the weight gain, it is not bad because you could travel with the suitcase size machine. I got a lot of infections from swimming and taking baths. Later I went on hemodialysis. I continued to work. I would get up at 4 am, take my work clothes with me, sit in that chair with needles the size of roofing nails and sleep for 4 hours, 3 times a week. I changed to my work clothes, hustled and went to work. This saved my sanity. No disability, It stops your social life, your worthiness and makes you withdraw. I think working saved my life. I was on dialysis for 8 years. I received a kidney from a 6 year old who drowned. Heart breaking, but children don't need kidney transplants. I have had the new kidney for 6 years. I ski, exercise daily (the Jane Fonda routine), ride a bike, swim, amazing for 62. I binge occasionally, but eat a lot of salmon, protein, low carbs, drink occasionally and wow. I'm blessed, super lucky and so grateful. Best of luck to you, stay active, be happy, work or be productive, go hiking, you can do it. We got a 2nd chance, right! Peace to you and your families.

Comment from: Rick, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 26

I received my kidney from unrelated person. Right after surgery the new kidney worked great. Two months later it stopped working, but the kidney is still good. The kidney doctor says it's because of my heart (had heart transplant 20 years earlier). Heart doctor says heart is fine. I can't be on transplant, because kidney is still good. Not working, but still good.

Comment from: jmm, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I received my kidney transplant on June 12, 2015. I was not on dialysis prior to my transplant. I am a little over 3 months and have had great success. I had a living donor (a very good friend) and he is doing well also.

Comment from: Winnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I had a kidney transplant in November of 1972. I am doing great! I wish the best for all the kidney transplant patients! Take your medicines, exercise, and no salt and low sugar diet. Good luck!

QUESTION

The only purpose of the kidneys is to filter blood. See Answer
Comment from: AKASH, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I got kidney transplant in 2009 and I am fine now, after 5 years.

Comment from: Bearcat, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I received my non-relative kidney transplant in October 1972 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Although there have been some minor problems, it has served me well.

Comment from: Pinak, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I had a renal transplant on in May and I’m doing well after wards. The main thing is to listen to your nephrologist for everything and maintain a schedule of your medicines and a proper hygienic atmosphere for faster recovery.

Comment from: 25-34 Male Published: April 30

Just went through a transplant six weeks ago as the donor for my son. I am healing wonderfully, but he had two bouts of rejection already, having to remain in hospital longer than me. He was released just two days ago and is doing fine so far. He felt great the day after surgery, but it’s just unfortunate it rejected twice.

Comment from: T.BonaCamp, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had my kidney transplant on 3/14/12. The first few days after the transplant I was feeling fine, then a week later things started going downhill. I started feeling a lot of fatigue and I started having a lot of muscle aches. When I went to see my transplant team and they took blood and urine they saw that I had a lot of protein. After more blood work and a biopsy it was determined that my Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis (FSGS) had returned. Before the transplant I had been on dialysis for three years and diagnosed with FSGS for six. I had hoped that the transplant would be a lifesaver but that's not true for me.

Comment from: P. Bilimale, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 10

Thanks much for the valuable information. I am planning to go for kidney transplantation (due to a long history with diabetes) and this information gave me lots of confidence.

Comment from: lovelife, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I had my transplant on Thanksgiving 2011. I had been on dialysis for four years. I woke up next morning after and felt 20 years younger. I couldn't believe how will I did! Three months after my surgery, I feel like a new person who is ready to get back into life again!

Comment from: Giddens, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I had a kidney transplant at Henry Ford Hospital from an unrelated cadaver in 1976. I have carefully taken my meds as ordered by my nephrologists. I'm doing amazing well and wish the very best to all transplant candidates.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

Nine months after kidney transplant (I am the donor) my sister got a chest infection and suffered acute respiratory failure and is now in ICU in Royal London hospital. She is severely ill and she caught two chest infections that are very vicious. She rejected the kidney at first and had a plasma exchange and was pelted with anti-rejection drugs and steroids. She is so ill, and hasn't been very well since transplant anyway. I just feel gutted that all this has happened to her. I pray that she will pull through.

Comment from: C.Hill, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 28

The transplant team at St. Lukes Hospital in New York was excellent.

Comment from: Jen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I felt I'd won the lottery I felt so well within hours of waking up. I had so much energy and was walking everywhere.

SLIDESHOW