Dislocated Knee

Tell us about any complications as a result of your knee dislocation and subsequent surgery or other treatment. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Paris L, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

Twenty years ago I dislocated my knee at a wedding, on the dance floor with heels on, doing the “twist”. I fell to the floor and looked at my knee, it was basically behind my knee cap. Oh my goodness, the pain was unbearable, I stopped the wedding for a minute and still feel bad about that. Anyway the doctor popped it back in somehow, thank goodness. So now (20 years later) I have a painful lump under my knee and I am waiting for an MRI. I think that I did a lot of damage to the knee that was never addressed.

Comment from: Bri , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

In 2014, I dislocated my knee during a basketball game. I got the ACL/MCL surgery, did all the physical therapy, and used the sports brace once I was cleared. It never felt steady and it was always sore. In 2016, I dislocated the same knee again while wearing the sports brace during a game. Once again, I got the surgery and never missed a day of physical therapy. It is now 2020 and my knee is always sore. I can’t bend it for longer than two minutes without it hurting. I no longer trust my knees.

Comment from: Alex, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I dislocated my kneecap 2 months ago. Diagnosis is dislocated patella due to chronic instability, lateralized, tilted patella, and shallow trochlear grove, significant cartilage damage, partial tear of MCL (medial collateral ligament), and elongated medial retinaculum. For 3 weeks I wasn’t wearing a brace, after that given hinged brace for 6 weeks. Started recovery 1 week ago, but once I started to bend the knee again, I constantly feel pain when I keep it bended. Patella still seems not in the middle. Wonder if this is normal.

Comment from: Crash, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

I dislocated my patella about a year ago. Hands down, one of the most painful things I've ever experienced, though unfortunately it happened while I was in the middle of the Welsh valleys at a party in a barn, and had to wait a full 24 hours before I went to the hospital. I slathered it with deep heat every hour for about 3 to 4 weeks. It's healed up fine now and works great, so other than it hurting a lot it's not the end of the world.

Comment from: Sara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I was dancing with my teenage daughter and some of her friends during a sleepover at my house. I was swaying my knees in together then out, when it popped out of place. I immediately fell to the ground in the worst pain of my life next to all natural child birth! Right after it popped out it went right back in. It took weeks for it to heal. That was about 8 years ago I have no pain at all anymore but I know that knee is a lot weaker than the other and has tried to pop out just by going down steps.

Comment from: Layla, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

My left and right knee have been coming out of place since I was 10 years old. I have a daughter and one of my knees had a dislocation whilst I was carrying her across the road. She was fine though. However I have had MRI scans and the doctors say I need to do physiotherapy. The thing is I have a fear of anyone going near my knees or doing anything that will knock them out. I don’t know what to do.

Comment from: Alicia Pizano, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

Ever since I have been in the third grade, my knees have been dislocating on me. I'm 26 now and I have had some pretty bad falls and injuries from this. Recently my right knee has been dislocated 3 times this week. I work and have to be on my feet. I have been to the doctors and have gotten x-rays done in the past. My groove in my knees are flat and that's why my knee pops out. I don't have a lot of money for surgery or to fly to meet with the right doctors. I work with special needs kids and don't make a lot financially. I'm scared to walk and drive. People I tell don't understand or look at me weird once they know.

Comment from: Knee cap girl, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: June 02

I am a registered nurse who goes through monthly knee cap dislocation but makes it back; alone. It takes 5 to 10 minutes of intense pain, 10 on a scale of 0 to 10. Now I am in physical therapy. They say strengthening gluteus will stop the dislocation. We will see. I don't think so. I am game as no surgery for me. If you get a staph infection it is likely to travel to a prosthetic part. I have taken care of too many.

Comment from: FIXURFACE, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had surgery for a right knee subluxation of the knee cap in 2004. I was told then it was a birth defect, and that my knee caps didn't have the proper groove to sit in. Today my left knee cap had a total dislocation. I went to play with my toddler son on the floor and rolled over to my stomach (carefully) and grazed my knee as I rolled and my cap moved to the side of my knee and was stuck there. I hollered and hollered and couldn't move my leg. I didn't know what to do. With the assistance of my brother we got it back some time later and now it is sore. I will call a doctor next week. A total dislocation has never happened to me before.

SLIDESHOW

Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them See Slideshow
Comment from: Glfc, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 11

I was at work and was on my truck, trying to grab something out the racking. Someone shouted at me and made me jump, I slipped off my truck and hit the bars on the way down. I felt something pop and could not move my leg. I have had MRI scan and they said my hamstring is twisted and told me to do physiotherapy to strengthen it. I think my leg bone is twisted and it's causing my other leg to be damaged. I have had this injury 2 years now and can barely walk. I hope this physiotherapy to strengthen my hamstrings pop my legs back in place, because I can't bear this anymore. But I feel like every time I tell them, they aren’t understanding how much pain I'm in, and feel like if it doesn't get sorted soon, I'm not going to be able to walk.

Comment from: KP1707, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

Motorcycle accident caused an open twisting dislocation and ruptured everything in the knee except the artery and the nerve. I ruptured ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL, PLC, IT band, and patella tendon. I tore both meniscus and broke the fibula. They fixed everything except ACL and PCL that day. A few months later they tried to fix the PCL but it failed. After 8 months on crutches with a dislocated knee they decided to do a TKR (total knee replacement). I was walking unassisted in three weeks.

Comment from: Alys, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I am 55. For no obvious reason my right knee joint (not knee cap) keeps dislocating. It started about 6 months ago and has been happening about once a week and more recently twice in one day. My McTimoney chiropractor says my pelvis is twisted and tilted, and that this may be the cause. I am left with pain on touching the inside of my leg, just below the knee.

Comment from: Alys, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

My right knee joint (not cap) has been dislocating approximately once a week, recently twice in one day, for the last 6 months. I think it is because my pelvis is tilted and twisted. It is agony whilst it is out of place. Fortunately I take strong pain killers for acute and chronic renal pain so I avoided hospital. I think now may be the time to see my general physician. I get pain on the inner side for a while afterwards, if not all the time but covered by my pain medication.

Comment from: swasti, Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I have pain in my knee and unable to walk like I did before because of knee dislocation. I am unable to jump or run. I have swelling and softness in the area surrounding the knee. I don’t know what to do to get it back the way it was; surgery is a big no.

Comment from: AMAKODI PRINCE CHINEDU, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I had an accident and a scan was done. After the scan the doctor said my leg needed little massaging which I have been doing for three months now and am not seeing an improvement. My bone is paining every day and I cannot walk very straight now because of the pain I am having. I was told my bone is good but the accident affected my arteries.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

My knee is very painful, the bone moves in the knee towards the right. I have to sit on some cushions to get up without too much pain.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW