Dislocated Knee

What symptoms did you experience with your knee dislocation? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Michaela, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 30

When I had a knee dislocation, it did not hurt. I was dancing, my ankle twisted and at the same time I twisted my leg the opposite direction, I heard a crack, and fell. I saw it had come out of place onto the left side of my right leg. It did not hurt, and after a few minutes of holding it, it slid back in with a pop and the only pain I felt was a slight discomfort. I still feel that discomfort three years later and it is difficult to stretch out. It feels tense.

Comment from: Kenya A, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had pain, swelling, stiffness, and the inability to put pressure on that leg after knee dislocation.

Comment from: Anonymous 21, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

The knee dislocation was painful, I can tell you that much. About 4 years ago my right knee popped out and I was freaking out, I had never experienced that much pain in my life. After a while it popped back in and I went to the doctor. She gave me muscle pain relief patches and advised me to go for physiotherapy, but I never went. A month or so later it happened again, then again, a year after that and so on. It is 5 times now and I never went back to a doctor.

Comment from: Ibitz Visual Novels, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

I fell down a small staircase. My knee popped out towards the inside of my leg. I popped it back in, put on a brace, and lived on. My knee wiggled, swelled after use, and throbbed so badly that I couldn't sleep. I began noticing a limp and my leg got stiff or stuck. I had surgery 10 years later. My ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) had torn. My kneecap is tilted. I recovered, but can't crawl. The pain is gone unless I touch my knee. My leg is stiff and goes numb. I can squat/jump now. I can't walk well without a double strap brace.

Comment from: animallover, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I went to turn over in bed and twisted my knee wrong, dislocating it. After a lot of struggle and the worst pain I have ever felt, my husband helped me get to the car and to the emergency room. Before giving me pain medicines, they needed a urine sample and I had to use a bed pan. As I lifted to get the bed pan underneath me, it popped back into place. The pain was instantly relieved and I could bend it again/stand on it. It has only been a day, but I do not have a lot of pain or any issue. Waiting for MRI now.

Comment from: OMGTHATHURT, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I had zero symptoms with my knee dislocation. I got out of bed from a dead sleep because I needed to use the restroom so, I proceeded to walk there and with my first step I collapsed to the floor. I didn't know what it was or why, oh my goodness, the pain was double 10! I got up and hopped to the bed and after crying for 10 minutes, I raised my leg into the air and my knee popped back into place. Incredibly painful experience.

Comment from: Supermomma36, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

My knee dislocated one day when I missed two steps on my front stairs. My knee immediately swelled to double its size and was bruised. My doctor asked me from 0 to 10 what my pain was and I literally had to scream 10! He gave me medications to make me sleepy and then straightened my leg out. When I came to, my leg was in a splint and I was given strict instructions to not walk on my leg for 6 to 8 weeks and was prescribed pain killers. It's been 6 weeks and I'm still healing.

Comment from: Maddie's Momma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

The extreme pain and swelling is what convinced me to go to my doctor when I had a knee dislocation.

Comment from: SoSo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

With knee dislocation my leg under the knee felt numb. The leg felt cold like ice and the skin was hardened. Some parts of my leg turned black.

Comment from: arsalan khan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I had this knee dislocation accident when I was going to drop my brother to his nearby coaching center. My bike slipped and I had this dislocation. For the moment I was not able to feel, but after I got back home, I couldn't move my knee, as it was too painful. I consulted my doctor and had it x-rayed. It showed a minor dislocation. The severe pain I was experiencing is gone but whenever I hit my knee to something, even when I put my knee on floor it hurts badly.

SLIDESHOW

Pictures of the 7 Riskiest Workout Moves, and How to Improve Them See Slideshow
Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

My knee has been dislocating since I’ve been 16 years old. I’m 48 now. Every emergency room and orthopedic I have been to keep telling me I’m perfectly fine. Over the years it has become so easy for it to shift. It can happen when I’m stretching or when I turn my legs a certain way. I experience the numbness from the knee down, and extreme pain and swelling. I can’t walk when this happens. The longest it has stayed displaced is a week. It slides back in on its own, and I can walk again like nothing happened. I don’t know what kind of doctor can help me.

Comment from: Danny, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 17

My knee popped out of place and back in but there was bruising and my whole leg is swelled up. Now the swelling is going down into my ankle and I can’t put any pressure on it.

Comment from: Angel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

My knee dislocated about 6 years ago now while I was playing touch rugby. I went to step and it popped out and then popped back in straight away. I fell to the ground as the pain was unbearable. I am lucky my brother in-law had his crutches with him as he had broken his leg a few months earlier. As I was walking back to the car I felt like fainting as the pain was sooo bad. When I went to the doctor the next day he had taken 6 syringes of blood out of my knee as it was swollen. I didn't go back to the doctor after that and regret it to this day. In the last 6 years I haven't been able to play any type of sports as my knee keeps popping out. I only wish I had gone and got it checked out back then.

Comment from: Reb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I have a severely dislocated right knee. I fell 6 1/2 feet through a RV skylight. I am currently waiting for surgery, the accident happened a month and a half ago. I have a brace on 60 rotation, can hobble a bit, and long distance in a wheelchair. This is what my chart says about my knee; ACL/PCL/MCL tear.

Comment from: scott, Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I was hit by a truck while riding my motorcycle. My knee dislocated, severing all four ligaments, fracturing my fibula, damaged the nerve to my foot, and tore my popliteal artery. I had to be ambulanced to the emergency room at the local rural hospital then flown to a hospital via helicopter. The trauma surgeons were not very optimistic about saving my leg due to the lack of blood flow to the lower leg, ankle and foot. The surgeons were able to repair the MCL and LCL as well as the artery. I also suffered major trauma to the nerve but it did not sever it. I was in the hospital for 26 days and bed rest with home health care for seven more weeks. After five months, I’m back to work, but I’m dealing with quite a bit of pain to my hips, lower back, knee and most irritating nerve pain in the foot and ankle.

Comment from: dustybear, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 18

I had the worst pain in my life. I had to call the paramedics to get me to the ER. My leg was bent and I had to be put to sleep so the doctor could fix it as no amount of pain killers helped. I was so happy when I woke up with no more pain!

Comment from: lebobb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was just about to get into the bath when out of nowhere, my right knee just popped. The knee cap was moved right out to the side and it was sticking out swollen. The pain was the most intense, excruciating pain I've ever felt in my life. I felt like I was going to die. I couldn't sit down, so I was hobbling on my left leg, while screaming crying with the pain. I was so panicked that when the ambulance came, the gas they gave me wouldn't fully work. Eventually, the paramedic straightened out my leg and it popped back into place. My leg was still aching so they brought me to A and E. I was given a leg brace to wear but when I returned for a check-up, they gave me a full leg cast. I cannot walk properly or bend my leg. Now, my left knee is starting to hurt and feel funny. It crunches and clicks when it moves and I am terrified that one will pop out also. I have to wear the full leg cast for four weeks!

Comment from: Raysik, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I was skiing when my ski caught an edge and I flew forward in opposite direction. My left knee dislocated, I heard it pop and could not stand. I was taken to the ER right away to find out that I tore my ACL, MCL, LCL, and both medial and lateral meniscus. I fractured my tibia and the only good news came when they told me that I did not tear my femoral artery. I went into surgery the next day to repair two ligaments.

Comment from: Finch Matt, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 29

My dislocation happened while playing football with my friends. It was an uneven surface at some part of the football field, and while tackling my opponent, I landed my foot in a hole. The leg twisted a bit and at the same time, the whole weight dropped over the same leg and the knee got dislocated, just like that. I felt nothing in the beginning but was not able to stand on my leg and slowly the pain got on me.

Comment from: BrianA, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I dislocated my knee when I landed in the shallow part of a river from a rope swing.

I was 14 years old and I was in the car going to see my brother at college. While I was in the car I slid over to tell my sister something. Then I slid back and I couldn't move. It was excruciating pain. So unbearable I was hallucinating. I couldn't get out of the car and I was stuck in the position for two hours. We stopped at the hospital and I had my knee popped back in.

Comment from: it still hurts, 25-34 Male Published: March 12

I dislocated my knee kickboxing. My left knee buckled and I collapsed to the floor in pain. Two days layer the pain shot down the back of my calf muscle. I went to the ER for MRI. I was given pain meds and crutches.

Comment from: summerowww, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

It's the worse pain ever. I was hysterical, I was sweating badly, and my face was red like a stop sign. I would have a million C-sections over again than to experience a knee dislocation.

Comment from: jaylstone, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I originally injured my knee as a goal keeper in street hockey. It dislocated and tore a little cartilage. Around 20 years later and I still have issues. It will pop out if I am kneeling all the way down and I am able to get it back into place by sliding my leg back and letting it reposition.

Comment from: Ruth, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I recurrently dislocated my knees when I was a child up until the age of 16. I always managed to put it back in place myself when it happened.The pain was so bad it would make me hysterical and it would take a lot of strength to hold myself up and carefully and very slowly move my leg from the kneeling position to a straight position in front of . Once it was back in the pain would go away.

Comment from: skoch, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I dislocated my right knee, tore the ACL in my left knee and broke my back in a 2,200 foot fall in an avalanche that started above me while I was climbing the mountain face with the intent to snowboard it. I was alone and had to do a self-rescue to avoid further avalanches. Spending the night out on the snow at 9,000' with my injuries and only a long underwear shirt created a challenge to survive. I managed to get through the night by breathing fast and shallow. Climbing Rangers and a rescue helicopter came 23 hours after my fall and took me to St. John's Hospital in Jackson, WY. I was happy to be covered in hot blankets by hot nurses! My symptoms were severe pain, especially when I dislocated my right knee while getting out of the way of another avalanche. I had several knee surgeries, worked my tail off in physical therapy and was mountain climbing again five months after the avalanche, snowboarding again nine months after the avalanche and went back and climbed Mount Owen (where the avalanche occurred) 11 months after. It felt good to get back on the horse! Believe you will be well again and be well again. Work hard. Surround yourself with positive people who believe in your success. The biggest advantage to my injuries from the avalanche is the greater empathy I am able to feel for people suffering. May you be well and happy!

Comment from: a grandmother, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

I dislocated my knee trying to block a ball for my two-year-old granddaughter. I slid and my knee collapsed inward toward my other leg and I fell and was unable to get for several minutes due to the severe pain. I eventually was able to move my leg to straighten back up and the knee moved back into place. It was very painful. I went to an orthopedist who immobilized it and gave me crutches, but it still gives me trouble and it has been two years since the incident. I use braces to ensure that it does not happen again.

Comment from: Susie blue, 35-44 Female Published: January 24

I landed heavily on my right leg during an aerobics class and my knee buckled sideways with a sickening clunking sensation followed by the ripping feeling as my ACL ruptured. And my quads tore. The pain was so bad I was sick and almost passed out but luckily the joint jumped back into place itself and the initial pain subsided after about 20 minutes.

Comment from: Jason, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

I’m 14 and I dislocated my knee playing football 7 months ago. I was in severe pain and it took 50 minutes for the ambulance to come and once they got there they gave me some pills, gas and air. My knee was so far out the paramedics tried three times too put it back in but they couldn't so I had to ride in the ambulance nearly unconscious with it out of place. That 1 hour of my life was the longest and most painful in my life! Once the nurse put it back in the pain went straight away but after coming out my cast 4 weeks later I slipped at school and damaged my ligaments so I had to go back in another splint thing and I still get random pains now.

Comment from: Ainsley09, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

I was at school the first day and sat down and my knee just knocked out of place! Now it's better but have to wear brace for 4 to 6 weeks!

Comment from: naz, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I was kicked playing soccer and knee was dislocated. I could not move and felt like my leg was going to break. The ambulance came and took me to the ER. The doctor put my knee back in place and immediately my knee felt better. Now, I’m recovering at home at home with crutches.

Comment from: happy, 45-54 Female Published: April 25

My knee popped out of place when I twisted wrong. It is a knee that I had previously had surgery on. It was rather random thing to happen. I managed to pop it back in place. I was quite freaked out when it happened, however I did not go to a doctor.

Comment from: Soccer Sally, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I was playing soccer and I went to check someone and heard a loud pop and I fell to the ground. I couldn't move my leg and had intense pain in the knee. All my muscles in my lower leg got extremely tight. Luckily it went out and in right away.

Comment from: sandra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Both of knees dislocate at random since I was 13. At first, it was very painful, but now at the age of 52 can put them back myself. I am waiting for surgery as there is nothing left to hold them in.

Comment from: iceskatingwithknee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I dislocated my knee when getting the mail. We have had 4 inches of ice on everything for the last month and I just slipped face forward. Yes it hurt. My knee when out of place and as I tried to get back up leaned on the mailbox and put it back in place. I've had RA in my knees since I was 16. I've never had it dislocate before, but adrenaline popped in and I got into the house unassisted. Then I sat at the kitchen table to do college online test when I felt my knee pop out. I couldn't walk nor hop, just panic. My family was there to help and got me to chair and put leg up. After a computer chair ride to the bathroom, I decided to go to bed and just relax the knee. A few pain pills and a major scream of pain, I got my knee to go back into place. It was a pop!

Comment from: Roo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

If dislocated my knee whilst playing football. It didn't go back in by itself, but needed some assisstance from a trainer. It was a massive feeling of relief when it went back into place. Since then I've had a reconstruction on my ACL, PLC and reattachment of the medial ligaments which were damaged. It's slowly mending now.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW