Knee Joint Replacement

Please describe any side effects you had after your knee joint replacement. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Grant, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I am at 5 weeks after knee joint replacement and have 125 deg bend. I still have pain at night and little during the day. I have worked hard on the physiotherapy, and while painful it has given good early results. I get very tired throughout the day and need my nanna nap. A good physiotherapy is the key and if you have an exercise bike it is a big help.

Comment from: Mar48, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

It has now been 3 weeks since the knee replacement surgery on my left knee. My plastic zipper like stitches were removed 2 days ago, and since then my knee feels stiffer, swollen and I have some pain. I am doing home physical therapy (PT) for 3 weeks and will probably 2 more weeks, then will start out-patient PT. At my doctor visit this week, he said I was healing up nicely. Range of motion is good and x-rays that day showed my leg is straight and in place. I perform home exercises every day. I'll be glad when the pain is gone.

Comment from: Rane, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

There is a severe pain in the knee cap. I think that it could be an infection after the knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: Farmersdaughter 0, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

About 1 or 2 days after my knee joint replacement I stood up and started walking slowly. All of a sudden both legs got a very hot feeling and almost felt very spongy. It felt like they were going to give out and I had to sit quickly because I would have fallen.

Comment from: Larry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 16

About 2 months after knee replacement surgery, I began to get skin lesions on my legs, arms, and chest. I underwent full allergy tests, but nothing showed up. I was treated with strong steroids, which cleared most (but not all) lesions. About 6 months post-surgery, I began getting extreme fatigue and some loss of balance, along with feeling of dizziness (not prevalent when sitting or lying down, only when vertical. I am now about 10 months post-surgery and symptoms continue; itchy skin is starting to recur.

Comment from: Marv B., 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 02

I've been a registered nurse for over 40 years and have seen my fair share of knee and hip replacements. I was stunned to see patients being discharged home the very next morning after getting a hip or knee replacement. And, they were pain free. The reason they were discharged so soon and that they were pain free was because they all had a lateral (side) approach. Unfortunately, not all physician that practice orthopedics are familiarized with this approach. Ask your orthopedic doctor about the lateral approach and not simply accept the old approach that slices the middle of your knee. You will have a quicker recovery and a painless one to boot.

REFERENCE:

Firestein, Gary, et al. Kelley & Firestein's Textbook of Rheumatology, 10th Ed. China: Elsevier, 2016.