Knee Joint Replacement

Please describe any side effects you had after your knee joint replacement. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Rane, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 17

There is a severe pain in the knee cap. I think that it could be an infection after the knee replacement surgery.

Comment from: Farmersdaughter 0, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

About 1 or 2 days after my knee joint replacement I stood up and started walking slowly. All of a sudden both legs got a very hot feeling and almost felt very spongy. It felt like they were going to give out and I had to sit quickly because I would have fallen.

Comment from: Larry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 16

About 2 months after knee replacement surgery, I began to get skin lesions on my legs, arms, and chest. I underwent full allergy tests, but nothing showed up. I was treated with strong steroids, which cleared most (but not all) lesions. About 6 months post-surgery, I began getting extreme fatigue and some loss of balance, along with feeling of dizziness (not prevalent when sitting or lying down, only when vertical. I am now about 10 months post-surgery and symptoms continue; itchy skin is starting to recur.

Comment from: Marv B., 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 02

I've been a registered nurse for over 40 years and have seen my fair share of knee and hip replacements. I was stunned to see patients being discharged home the very next morning after getting a hip or knee replacement. And, they were pain free. The reason they were discharged so soon and that they were pain free was because they all had a lateral (side) approach. Unfortunately, not all physician that practice orthopedics are familiarized with this approach. Ask your orthopedic doctor about the lateral approach and not simply accept the old approach that slices the middle of your knee. You will have a quicker recovery and a painless one to boot.

• Knee Joint Replacement - Recovery Time

How long did it take you to recover after knee joint replacement surgery?

Post View 3 Comments

REFERENCE:

Firestein, Gary, et al. Kelley & Firestein's Textbook of Rheumatology, 10th Ed. China: Elsevier, 2016.