Knee Joint Replacement

How long did it take you to recover after knee joint replacement surgery? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Black3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

This is my second knee replacement; much better recovery than the first knee surgery. I started walking without any walker or cane within a week. I was released to start driving after 2 weeks. I had up to 118 degree bend at 4 weeks. No pain medications since week 2. I went to the beach and walked in the sand at 4 weeks. I still have swelling but ice packs work for that problem. Overall, I am doing great!

Comment from: JR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I recently had my second knee replacement. It is considerably worse than the first knee replacement. It has been a month and I still am having a lot of pain and swelling. I have been in physical therapy, but the swelling is so bad that recovery is going very slowly. I was told it was because there was a lot more work that had to be done on the knee. With this knee replacement surgery I had a lot more bruising and calf and shin pain. I am very frustrated with the pain and swelling. A month out and I can only bend my knee about 90 degrees. Walking is still difficult and very painful in the shin and calf areas. Hoping this gets better with time.

Comment from: Rob K, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 30

My knee joint replacement surgery has had a generally good outcome so far. I am walking well after 7 weeks with no pain and with a rhythmic gait. Knee swells with too much rehabilitation exercise or standing too long. Ice assists to reduce swelling and pain. I have not taken pain tablets for several weeks and manage the pain by how I lie, sit and elevate the leg and ankle movements. Stairs are still somewhat challenging especially stepping down, but manageable. I can mostly keep the leg flat and have about 96 degrees bend at this time.

• Knee Joint Replacement - Side Effects

Please describe any side effects you had after your knee joint replacement.

Post View 6 Comments

REFERENCE:

Firestein, Gary, et al. Kelley & Firestein's Textbook of Rheumatology, 10th Ed. China: Elsevier, 2016.