Laparoscopy

Did you have to have a laparoscopy? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Burlap, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I am 46 years old and had a laparoscopy 3 weeks ago, due to an ectopic pregnancy which was misdiagnosed. Doctors confirmed I was still pregnant and found twins a week later in my uterus. Not long after I miscarried because of the laparoscopy. I am not happy with seeing doctors and will rather focus on homeopathic remedies.

Comment from: L, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a laparoscopic appointment at midnight on a Saturday about a month ago. I waited around for 12 hours before the surgeon decided to operate. Lucky it didn't get perforated. I never saw the surgeon ever again after pre-operation area. I was kept in observation. Too many different residents and physician's assistants. Nausea and vomiting were severe. Incisional pain was so awful at home I almost fainted. I had diarrhea, fever, and chills when home. I hoped I would wake up in the morning and not die, it was so bad. Now epigastric pain and nausea are ongoing. Surgery clinic un-sympathetic, this surgery is no joke. I am never going back.

Comment from: xtiger, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had laparoscopy done On November 28th. It has been great. Pain, yes! Yet light walking (slow) for a few days and lying flat was necessary. Pain medicines block you up so use stool softeners for sure. Quit taking the medicines about four days after. It took 2 weeks in driving and almost normal. Light, light bleeding through the whole way through but normal. I won't be on a trampoline any time soon but the light at the end of the tunnel is awesome!

Comment from: midookie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I just had a laparoscopy 2 days ago and other than feeling full and bloated from the gas and a soreness around the incisions, I feel pretty good. The day of the surgery when I came home, I was very sleepy and slept for almost 2 days with getting up, except here and there to use the bathroom and eat. My throat was very sore and thirsty and my mouth was so dry. Urinating hurt for a day or so, from the catheter I think, because it was bleeding a little bit. But it's okay now. If you're worried about the surgery itself, don't! Because you're not going to remember anything at all!

Comment from: Kerry, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

I had a laparoscopy last Tuesday and I'm still in so much pain it's horrible. I went in to have a fallopian tube unblocked and they found endometriosis so that was taken away too. I'm having to have help going to the toilet and being bathed, and I'm just not sleeping with the pain.

Comment from: babs, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I recently had an emergency appendectomy with a laparoscope. I have had a couple more exploratory laparoscopies years ago with mixed side effects, lots of shoulder pain from gas. But this time the incision site hurt more because they actually removed the appendix, but the gas was less of a problem, never migrating to shoulders as in past. I heard they have betters way to expel the gas now, may be true. But the bottom line either way it was just about a week until I felt fine. By five days I could function ok and by seven days most pain was totally gone.

• Laparoscopy - Risks

Did you experience complications from your laparoscopy? How did you recover?

Post View 3 Comments

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

REFERENCE:

"Abdominal access techniques used in laparoscopic surgery"
UpToDate.com