Leukemia

How was your leukemia diagnosed? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Blair, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I am 58 years of age and diagnosed with leukemia 6 weeks ago. I am still awaiting tests on the DNA to diagnose what strain so I can begin treatment. It was found during a blood test where white blood cells were elevated, 126 instead of below 10. I had been getting a lot of bruising to my limbs but other than that nothing. I have been told I will require chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant if a suitable donor can be found. I will require to be over 1000 km away for treatment which will take 6 months! I am feeling scared.

Comment from: Kk, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 11

My husband, age 55, went to 4 different doctors with the same general complaints. For nosebleeds, ENT told him to use humidifier, that membrane was dry. For bleeding gums, dentist said he needed to have deep cleaning. Earache, family doctor cultured and grew bacteria seen in immune compromised patients and said it was difficult to clear infection. Not one out of these 3 did CBC or show slightest concern over symptoms of weight loss, fatigue, and night sweats. The emergency room physician did CBC showing thrombocytopenia 70,000, elevated WBC, and low neutrophils. He was sent home with antibiotics. This carried on for another 6 months until he collapsed, admitted and so began his nightmare treatment for leukemia in a Texas oncology hospital, who I now know practice not with common sense or reasoning but rather unscrupulously and in tandem with insurance companies. They call the shots now more than ever.

Comment from: Kk, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 10

My husband, age 55, went to 4 different doctors with the same general complaints. Nosebleeds – the ENT said to use humidifier, that the membrane was dry. Bleeding gums - the dentist said he needed to have deep cleaning. Earache - family doctor cultured and grew bacteria seen in immune compromised patients. Difficult to clear infection. Not one out of these 3 did CBC or show slightest concern over symptoms: weight loss, fatigue, and night sweats. Emergency room physician did CBC showing thrombocytopenia 70,000, elevated WBC, and low neutrophils. He was sent home with antibiotic. It carried on for another 6 months until he collapsed, admitted and so began his nightmare leukemia treatment by a Texas oncologist who I now know practices not with common sense or reasoning but rather unscrupulously and in tandem with insurance companies. They call the shots now more than ever.

Comment from: Hopeful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

I am a 49 year old female. My symptoms of leukemia were pain on left side and shoulder, white count 250,000, bruising easily, stomach bloating, fullness, no energy, need for frequent naps, and retinal hemorrhages. I was diagnosed with chronic myeloid leukemia. My treatment is oral chemotherapy medicines.

Medically reviewed by Jay B. Zatzkin, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Medical Oncology

REFERENCE:
"Leukemia." National Cancer Institute.