Lice (Head Lice, Body Lice, Pubic Lice)

Please describe your experience with head lice infestation (pediculosis). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: All in my head, 45-54 (Patient) Published: May 19

I contracted head lice 3 months ago and am now into all the treatments for about USD 1400. Nothing has worked and I've done all the meticulous cleaning required. The doctor said it was all in my head.

Comment from: North African, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I got head lice from my girlfriend (who got it from her little sister) 6 months ago. It was really a nightmare, you can imagine the situation, my hair was extremely curly and hard to comb. Cutting it was not an option for me. To not make this any longer, I will go straight to what you want to know. I used a medication called Ecrinal, and it killed everything including the nits. I highly recommend it. I’ve also used lemon juice and it showed some good results but I wasn’t sure about it.

Comment from: House of louse, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I've had head lice for almost 10 months now. Nothing kills them. I have used every OTC treatment available, tried every home remedy, used concentrated malathion and ivermectin, combed for hours, and cleaned like a maniac, still to no avail. They are now not only in my hair, but my eyebrows and eyelashes, my facial hair, my nasal hair, literally every place there’s body hair. My home is infested just as bad. I can barely function, desperate for something that will eradicate them! I'm going insane.

Comment from: Jane, 55-64 (Patient) Published: December 02

My grandkids had, so I got head lice infestation. Theirs is gone, they went to clinic and got rid of it. I've been to the doctor’s, and they gave me 2 bottles of Nix shampoo. I am in a wheelchair and I can't walk, so I bought clippers and shaved my hair to 5/8ths of an inch. I could feel the difference but I need touch up, so I bought 1 shampoo. I take my hair between my fingernails and it pops like I'm popping eggs or something. Then my hair is gummy and behind my ears where I did the same thing. I wonder if the lice are not gone.

Comment from: Dwain, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 05

Well, I just found out today, 9/3/19, I have head lice. I have been researching here lately because I was getting bitten on my legs. I can't remember if I had them or my other 3 siblings as a child, but momma always checked. First time as an adult I just looked with a magnifying glass. They are crawling on my head, I knew that, but when I looked in the magnifying glass, they are on my eyelids, nose, eyebrows and I think I have seen them in my eye. I sprayed eucalyptus spray on my head to stop the crawling.

Comment from: Rboyle, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 01

I am worried about either lice or bed bugs and really can’t figure it out, but I’m vacuuming my bedding daily and called the pest guy.

Comment from: Jgreb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

My household has had lice for over a week. They are everywhere and we have done Rid, Nix ultra and many other treatments, and nothing has worked. My bed will have piles of them at the end of the day when I change sheets. I don’t know what to do. This is different from any other time I have witnessed lice. They are up my nose, in my ears.

Comment from: Fedup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

Wonder if anyone else who has had lice for months experienced like a web or netting covering your head but under your hair. It's like it's cemented to your head and it's very hard to get it off your head, but when you do it's like your head can breathe again. It is tangled hair that is like cemented to your head and I believe that there are plenty of nits under it. Because it's very hard to notice and get it off, is the reason we still have lice, and the reason no one sees lice or nits on our heads.

Comment from: Ange, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 23

I worked as a caregiver for years. I never brought home any head lice infestation until now. My grandson and I have lice now because of one of my clients. Rid doesn't work, Nix doesn't work, and home remedies didn't work. These things are on other parts of my body that has hair. Shaving didn't work for us. When our hair grew back they would crawl with a vengeance. I am tired and don't know what to do. I am wondering if we caught head lice and body lice from my client. I tried to tell her about her infestation but she denied it.

Comment from: Ryan G, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

I had a terrible experience with the head lice and being a father of two young kids, I never thought it would be that hard to get rid of. To add to the frustration, it turned out no over the counter product or common home remedy worked for us and I finally had to seek professional help. Thankfully, I had a lice clinic in my city and with just one visit I was completely relieved. Next time my kids come home scratching heads, I know what I have to do.

SLIDESHOW

Common Childhood Skin Disorders See Slideshow
Comment from: Aaaarrrg, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 28

I have had lice, crab lice in my hair, lice in the corners of my mouth when I wake or even during the day, I have had in my inner (not all the way, as far as I know) ear (stubborn), and the folds of my outer ear, causing bleeding scabs. I have found them burrowed into scabs on top my hands! Even one in a scab I picked at on the top of my lower arm! Everywhere I’m bitten, swells up to a half a golf ball and hurts and itches. I need a cure or assisted suicide in Canada. Too long.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I cannot get rid of my head lice infestation and I have been doing everything from OTC treatments to home remedies. I think they are embedded in my scalp! I have sores on my face and around my mouth. I wonder if anyone else has suffered like this and know how to rid of them.

Comment from: Killedbylice, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I've had head lice infestation for over 2 and a half year. I have been to the doctor only to be made to look a fool, make you feel like a dirty bag, awful by the doctor, and absolutely disgusting advice by profession. I have spent so many pounds on new bed clothes, carpets, all brand new stuff remedies that don’t work, they still do not die. I've had multiple skin and head infestations every two weeks, my confidence shattered and gone.

Comment from: diannj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have had head and body lice for 3 months now. I tried Nix Ultra super lice and Clearlice - all natural and very expensive, mayonnaise, olive, oil, and lice comb that zaps them. I went to the doctor and she gave me prescription for permethrin and oral ivermectin 2 doses. I just treated myself again last and they are back since yesterday. I boil water and pour over bedding and clothes in my washer, boil water and put combs and brushes in sink and pour over them and leave them. I’m ready to scream or shave my head. Cut hair short!

Comment from: Mad Moxie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I'm plagued by head lice. Following are my solutions. Cloth items that aren't needed go into garbage bags. Use dryer multiple times with light loads, high heat. Change clothing/bedding and immediately wash. Cloth compress on problem areas (soak 20 to 30 minutes) with 3 parts peroxide and 2 parts water. Spray up the nostril and ears and also use the solution with laundry. Day/night Vaseline or coconut oil, use lots on eyebrows. Don’t scratch. While in shower use the stream of water to flush out your nose (use as hot of water as you can without hurting yourself). Could also try flushing your nose out with oil to smother them.

A lot of what I read about lice is false from my experience. My grandchildren came here with lice about 6 months ago. I have been trying to get rid of them ever since. They managed to get rid of them but, I can't. I have tried everything. They say they don't crawl on you and that is bull. I can feel them crawl up my body and eventually get into my hair. I have no nits. As soon as I feel them I brush my hair over the tub. I see one crawling in the bath tub. Yesterday I brushed one off my back and saw it crawling around. I have washed and dried everything, cleaned my carpet, vacuumed, ironed my bed and my couch, have stuff in plastic bags, wrapped my whole couch in plastic, washed my curtains, have my scatter rugs still in bags for 3 months. I unwrapped my couch and got attacked. Rid, or any of the over the counter shampoos do not work, I even had the Dr give me 2 different types of prescription medicine. I follow the directions. I have even put kerosene on my head, and Malathion to the point I had to call 911. I have sprayed my house a million times. The only thing that kills them is vinegar. So, now I have sprayed my couch with pure vinegar and carpet and myself. I have a rash from all the stuff, my head is dry. I have tried home remedies; basil oil, peroxide, alcohol, olive oil, tea tree oil, Eucalyptus oil, peppermint, oregano and other spices made into tea. Some work. People have checked my hair and there are no nits/eggs. Vaselined my hair, baby oil, olive oil and left it on all night. Sleep with my pillow wrapped in plastic. Change my pillow cases nightly; wash my brushes 4 times a day in boiling water and alcohol for 1/2 hr. So the theory that they die within so many days is bull. My couch was covered for months and I did not sit on it. When I unwrapped the plastic, they were still alive in there, the adults and babies. So I think someone should re evaluate their theories. I have had it. I don't even want anyone to come over. I itch at work, but no one else does. I brush the bugs off in the toilet. They have treated with their hospital stuff for lice. I am still itching. I’m lost and fed up.

Comment from: Screaming silently, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 21

Reading these comments about head lice infestation are terrifying, because I'm dealing with so much of the same. And it is validation for me that I am not crazy. I feel ashamed, ugly and alone. My family doesn't want to hear about it anymore. My nose feels like it is on fire, my left eye feels like it's bulging, my nails hurt and bleed when I bump them. I feel like I'm past itching, I am a cactus, and have a disgusting feeling. I am not sure what to do anymore.

Comment from: Cal, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I’ve had lice now for 3 months, and haven’t really gone out and purchased any treatments yet because at first they don’t itch much and you are a bit scared of walking out of the shop with anti lice treatments and people looking at you a bit weird, but not anymore, I just want them to go. I have crabs for sure, maybe head lice, and I keep mistaking dry flaky skin for body lice. I watched a thing a year ago and it said there’s a new breed of lice that are immune to today’s treatments. I hope I don’t have these super lice. Anyway, a good way to cure crabs without treatments is to stay is the bath for about 2 days; they can’t survive that long under water.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I combed my daughter's hair one morning and saw eggs. I recognized them I don't know how. Never had any before. So, I took her to school, phoned her teacher, we met in the nurse's room. The nurse confirmed; the nurse checked me also and she said "you don't have any." So, I took my daughter to the clinic; the treatment cost me $90; they also checked me and found zillions - over a month worth of eggs and lice. Another $75. My husband: one louse, many eggs. $75. They told me that we will need about...4-6 sessions. They told me that I need to wash daily all pillow cases, sheets, towels, to vacuuum, to shampoo our hair daily, 3 times per day, to comb the nits out; I bought $150 woth of Rid and other medical stuff, and realizing that I am about to lose my mind. I decided for all of us to get our scalps shaved. No buzz cuts. Shaved. All of us. My daughter cried a river. I was firm. I came home and gahtered EVERYHTING that was clothing and took them to the laundrymat; shampooed the carpet, couches hell just broke. Some hell we couldn't contain, for we did not know the A and Z. At school they said Nobody has any. I was mad. The same nurse who told me I have none. So, I spoke with the principal. He said, sure, we will check them again. He never did. For the next morning I checked a few of girls my daughter was sitting next in the class. Their mothers got offended and complained to the principle who in return called me. Is this the worst thing possible? of course not. However, it turns your life - for a while- upside down; my nerves were frail. I was itching, depressed, nervous, angry. We live in the 21st century, we have Kindle and humans on the Moon. What is the situation with some bugs? My daughter still goes at school with her cap on. I am terrified by the thought that this could happen again. My skin itches when I only think about it. HEEEEEEEEELP!

Comment from: ddavis, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am dealing with lice now. I found out Friday night that I had it. My friend (beautician) and I sat at her house for 3 hours combing my hair and getting the nits, nymphs, and adult lice out! We got thousands and thousands out of my head. I had had it about a month. I just thought I had dandruff and then it started itching worse so I called my best fiend also my hairdresser to take a look at my hair and I was defiantly infested. We got the most of them out that night. I went back over there Friday morning and we put mayo on my hair and let it set for about 30 mins. and then we combed thru it again. We got most of the remaining ones out. I'm still doing mayo on my head every night until I know for a fact that they are gone. The first night we treated we used RID then after that we put mayo on my head and let it set for awhile then washed it out and combed again. The second day we just did the mayo. Yesterday we let my hair rest and today (Monday) we are going to do another mayo treatment and leave it on my hair overnight. Then come Friday again I’m going to go get some more RID and do it again just to be on the safe side. I threw my sheets, hairbrushes, ponytail holders, clips, and everything away. I washed all blankets, vacuumed the floor, couch, mattresses repeatedly, swept the floor and moped. Hopefully this coming up weekend I’ll be lice free.

Comment from: 500plus-pt2, 7-12 (Caregiver) Published: November 13

About 1 week after treating my kid’s head lice infestation without wearing gloves, I started to notice the tips of my nails hurt like I had cut them too close, but I did not trim them at all. It got so bad I could no longer open simple things. They will embed into any part of your body so when treating oil up to your elbows. I tried everything and nothing worked. By chance I was cutting meat for my 3 year old and felt an immense pressure release from my thumb. A long thing that looked the size of 1 hair came out.

Comment from: sweetc1534, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am losing patience with this. I have a feeling as if stuff is crawling on me. My face, ears, eyelashes and skin feel like they’re crawling. I've tried lice shampoos, vinegar, Listerine, permethrin and stromectol. I’m tired of cleaning and washing.

Comment from: Overdoneit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

My husband and I had gotten head lice (never had them as children ) from my husband's nephew who brought his daughter to visit, knowing full well (we found out later) she had head lice 2 different times that her mother did not treat successfully. Well, I overdid the treatments on us both because I was so distraught and panicky. I think we were probably well over them, looking back, but had the lasting itching from using many boxes of the "poison" which I would not do obsessively if it happened again. The stuff was so hard on our scalps, we had scalp scabs for a long time afterward. I'd say use a natural lice shampoo, and a very good fine lice comb,(not the cheap ones they give you in the boxes ) .

Comment from: hopeithelps, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I once had head lice badly as a child. Using "standard" remedies, my hair was fried. I don't recall how long I was out from school. A second time I was concerned after finding a nit but I was lucky and caught it early. A friend told me about using one part of a home perm. I can't remember which part it was but I know it seemed to work. I've since been told that head lice prefer clean hair/scalps. I do not have a dirty head but I do not was my hair daily like I used to unless it is necessary. This seems to do the trick.

Comment from: junebugkiller, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

Skin So Soft!!!!! It kills them almost instantly!! I was ready to try everything under my kitchen and bathroom counter when my husband suggested that SSS kills mosquitoes and fleas, maybe lice? IT DOES!! Now, we completely spray each of our heads (whether we have them or not) every few days to make sure we take care of any eggs hatching. Now we are working on making sure that the mattresses are not infested. We’re still working on that. At least the things aren't crawling on us anymore. :-)

Published: March 31

My grandson, before I knew he had lice, lost his hair on top and sides by 80%. I sure hope it grows back. I have washed my brains out and treated us twice.

Comment from: Infected!, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have been infested for several months now. Some things seem to work for a day or two, but then everything comes back. I have been doing laundry and cleaning every day - have changed linens & clothes daily - but I still get the pinprick marks and small sores on my body, face and neck as well as the crawling sensations at certain times of the day. The doctor has checked my hair for nits, etc. and doesn't believe I'm still infested, but every few days, I find a louse - usually so small they are only visible & identifiable with very strong magnification. I think they must be able to survive off the body/head for long periods. And I also think there may be a variety of louse that (a) is more resistant, (b) does not infect/affect everyone (some people may have stronger immune systems against this type of thing). No one else in my household seems to be affected. If it were not for the fact that I have actually found/seen the lice (they look just like their pictures) I would think I was nuts. I have tried most of the mail-away remedies, as well as the usual ones, spending a small fortune, but I can't even get as far as the "re-treat in 7-10 days" regimen because they are back almost immediately. The weird thing is that there are no nits - I comb every day for them, other people have looked for them, but the hair shafts are always completely clean and there is just no evidence except for my symptoms and finding the occasional dead or half-dead louse.

Comment from: PINKSTAR, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

A few months ago, my child had lice. I tried the normal OTC treatment and the comb and it failed. I tried again seven days later, and it failed. A week ago, my daughter got lice again. I have to wash her bed linens in the hottest possible water. I wonder if there is an oral lice-killing treatment. My hair is down to my waist, and I am so afraid of getting lice!

Comment from: cat2337, 35-44 Female Published: October 19

My family had head lice last year around this same time last year (August). I got it all out of my family and I seemed to have gotten the worst of it. I had them under my finger nails, up my nose in my mouth before I even knew it. The doctors told me they couldn't get up my nose and in my mouth but I could feel them crawling all over my face and body at night. I cleaned everything but couldn't get it out of my couch and ended up throwing the couch away. I covered my bed with a plastic cover and vaccuumed everyday. I tried everything from over the counter to what the doctor gave me and nothing worked. I got pimples on my head, back and chest. I used olive oil in my hair overnight and it seemed to let the nits not stick to my hair so they were easier to remove.

Comment from: Monalisa, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My daughter aged 7 I believed had head lice. I treated her just in case. She still has an itchy head, but it was an absolute nightmare to wash her hair and leave for 10 minutes. She was shaking and screaming and did not want me to do it. I did not comb through her hair as she was so distraught.

Comment from: jamess, 45-54 Female Published: October 07

My sister, niece, nephews, cousins all have a history with some kind of lice and never follow thru on the complete treatment. I spend all my time cleaning my house and my hair and body every time they come over. They are also in denial of it, I'm really depressed. These lice seem to be everywhere and gets on my face which leaves bites. I do all the treatment then they're back with a visit if I forgot to put my cover in dryer or one of them riding in my car.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW