Life-Threatening Skin Rashes (cont.)
Is It Possible to Prevent Life-Threatening Skin Rashes?
Prevention is often difficult, because few clear causes have been found for any of these diseases. A few general guidelines are suggested.
- Do not try to avoid every medicine thought to be associated with any of these disorders. Serious medication allergies are extremely rare. Simply avoid taking medications to which you have a known allergy. Always alert your doctor to potential medication allergies you may have.
- Many of the infections thought to cause these disorders are almost impossible to avoid and are virtually always harmless infections.
- Avoiding tampons can help prevent TSS. The super-absorbent tampons introduced to the market in the 1970s are no longer available in the U.S., and tampons now in the marketplace are considered safe. When using any tampons, however, change them frequently.
- Meningococcemia is prevented with a vaccination. It is recommended that individuals at high risk for exposure, incoming college freshman living in dormitory environments, and those traveling to endemic areas be vaccinated.
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever can be prevented to a great extent by careful inspection for ticks after hiking in endemic areas. Wearing tick-repellent clothing can be very helpful. Ticks can be removed with a fine tweezer ASAP.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/20/2017
Must Read Articles Related to Life-Threatening Skin Rashes
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Life-Threatening Skin Rashes: