Liver Blood Tests

Please describe how Liver Blood Tests has helped in your diagnosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gagado, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Because of long-term back pain, surgeries and a spinal tumor, I was taking too much Vicodin. I do not drink alcohol. I felt sick for almost 2 years. Four doctors and perfect liver panels did not explain my listlessness and vomiting. I had a perfect liver blood test on a Friday, the following Monday all elements of my liver panel were between 7,000 and 7,600. I was a transplant candidate. My Vicodin was stopped, my blood tests got better very slowly. I was sick for 2 more years, but I made it. Too much Tylenol.

Comment from: Dutchess1947, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have had pain in my stomach for over four months and my general physician ordered a CT scan and told me I have an enlarged liver and has made an appointment for me with two different specialists, a hematologist and a gastroenterologist and also a laparoscopy, endourology and stone disease doctor. My blood tests have been wacky for about three years, my ALT, AST and LDL are high. I have high cholesterol, triglycerides, etc., but I have tried every statin and not-statin and have been allergic to all. I am at a loss as to what to expect when I see one of the doctors this next Tuesday.

Comment from: MLB , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 19

Three months ago my alkaline phosphatase level was 127, AST 43, and ALT was 37. The doctor said to wait 3 months and redo my liver blood tests. Now they are 149, 33 and 43. The doctor said not to worry about it. I had gallbladder removal 2 years ago and I don't drink alcohol. The doctor said to retest in 3 months, but I am afraid to wait.

Comment from: VIJAY, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

I found I have hepatitis B positive in blood from my liver blood test.

Comment from: Cookie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

After I had my son, I was having a lot of dizziness so my doctor took a blood test. I had high liver enzymes. I was tested two times after in a period of 6 months and my liver enzymes went back to normal. I just had my daughter and I was on all sorts of pain medications including 5 straight days of regular morphine injections. My liver enzymes are now slightly elevated again. I will be tested in 3 months to see if they have gone down. Until then, it is no Tylenol for me.

Comment from: Pappa Tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

With my liver blood tests, my numbers were high for the longest time. I was diagnosed with hepatitis C. I suffered with this for the last five years and in January 2008, I went on the national liver transplant waiting list. I was on my death bed in the hospital. My family received the news on my birthday that a liver was available. This May, it's going to be two years since I defied death. What a story, huh?

Comment from: MacSue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

After having a live biopsy I was diagnosed with cirrhosis. Now I'm wondering if the medication I was on caused an elevation in liver enzymes that caused the outcome of the tests. I was on Avalide for high blood pressure. My doctor told me that the blood tests would show an elevation of liver enzymes. Now I'm wondering if the biopsy was necessary. My blood tests since then have all come back with in range. All medications given to me caused severe symptoms. Also blood was sent to a California company and they sent back the information that I had autoimmune hepatitis, or cirrhosis. I'm totally confused. Seems like maybe during the time for the original blood tests that sent me to a liver specialist showing an elevation was because of the medication for high blood pressure. That was also when my sample was sent to California. No one seems to want to answer my questions.

REFERENCE: Diagnosing Liver Disease - Liver Biopsy and Liver Function Tests. American Liver Foundation.
< http://www.liverfoundation.org/abouttheliver/info/liverfunctiontests/>