Liver Transplant

Did you have a liver transplant? If so, please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: manypens, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 10

I had a liver transplant after being on the list for almost eight years. I feel so must worse after transplant and my doctors can't figure out why. I wish that I had let nature take its course. I now have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and chronic pain. I feel like I have the flu all the time. If I can sleep for more than 45 minutes at a time I wake up feeling ok, and then within 45 minutes I feel bad again. I am a little over 6 months post-transplant.

Comment from: Lynda V, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I had my liver transplant when I was 34. I am 36 now. I had been feeling weak and tired all the time for about 2 months, I thought nothing about it. I thought it was just my body dealing with a car accident and running around after two boys during summer break. I got sick and starting vomiting and had a horrible headache. I lay in bed for about a week, thinking I had the stomach flu. After about 6 days in bed my husband turned on the lights and in shock said 'I'm taking you to the emergency room(ER)'. My eyes were bright yellow, like a monster. Once in the hospital they took about a liter and half of fluid off my abdomen. Then started the blood, platelets, and plasma transfusions. A few days later I was told just how sick I was and that it was not likely I would make it to the New Year; this was the beginning of August 2013. I was in the hospital until October 11th, 2013. I was told without a transplant I won't see Christmas, then it was, ‘you won't see Thanksgiving; then Halloween.' The hospital let me go home to wait it out. I had to see a dentist and gynecologist to get on the list and cleared for surgery. I took what I thought was going to be my last time out with my boys to a berry farm and enjoyed what little I thought I had left. On October 13, 2013 I was at home and having trouble. My mom and husband were taking me to the ER and the phone rang; they had a liver for me. On Oct 13, 2013 I got my new liver. I have been able to have two more New Years, two more Christmases, two Thanksgivings, two Halloweens, and a year and a half more time with my husband, my sons, my family and my friends. I am thankful and grateful for my donor.

Comment from: billydabiller, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

I had a liver transplant 4 1/2 months ago. I have been very lucky I didn't have too many side effects. I stayed in the hospital 7 days after the surgery and I didn't feel the need to take any pain medication since I got out. Just taking pain medication has its own set of side effects, feeling sick, throwing up, bowel problems and such. I forced myself to do what they told me to do, walk 30 minutes four times a day, and work on my breathing. Now I won't tell you that I walked everyday but I did whenever I felt good enough to do so. Today I feel good and I am back to doing some of the things I was doing before the surgery except lifting anything over 5 pounds. Some of the medicines I take mess with my blood pressure and blood sugar so I have to deal with those things as doctor’s orders.

Comment from: Singh, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I had cirrhosis of the liver and got cadaveric liver transplant on July 2018, and I am doing well.

Comment from: akan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a liver transplant 2 years ago when I was 27 years old. I had cryptogenic cirrhosis since I was 7. The first symptoms of my liver disease was swollen spleen and nose bleed. I had some side effects because of my medication. I hate prednisolone.

Comment from: Wendy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune liver disease, and waited for seven long years for my transplant. In the long process of dying I learned how to live. It was the best and the worst experience of my life. I have nothing but praise for all the medical people I came across; all those people who kept me alive until my liver came to me. It was a crazy, scary ride, but worth the wait. I've been well for eight years now, but I'll never take my health for granted again. A special thanks for my husband, who never left me for a minute, and never let me give up, I love you.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I had a liver transplant in 2010. I did six months total in hospital and rehab. I also developed kidney failure, resulting in chronic stage III kidney disease after six months of dialysis. I needed a tracheotomy prior to surgery. I dealt with post-operative paralysis for three months. Everyone was surprised that I even lived. There is an outstanding medical team/facilities at Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh. Also outstanding performance by Aetna insurance. Our out of pocket after $1M medical expenses was $10K. I’m very happy to be alive.

Comment from: Gking, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I had a liver transplant back in 1989. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done. I know how lucky I am.

SLIDESHOW