Liver Transplant

What were the first symptoms of liver disease you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Geoge, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

My first symptoms of liver disease were dark urine, yellowing of skin and eyes and extreme fatigue.

Comment from: Jeff, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

My fist indication of liver disease was when I had frequent nose bleeds. I went to the doctor and she determined I had very high blood pressure. She gave me medication and did further blood test work. The blood test came back showing extremely poor liver function. She sent me to a specialist who determined I had severe liver damage and was in stage four liver disease. He told me to get my affairs in order, and that I had maybe a month to five years to live maximum without a transplant. My doctor, convinced me to get on a transplant list. I survived seven years and got on the transplant list. My liver was so bad I ended up losing my kidneys and was on dialysis. Fortunately I got a liver and kidney transplant. After 19 months I am currently doing amazing with great liver and kidney function. The key is I only drink water, nothing else. All transplant patients should drink water only to clear the system of impurities and enhance liver and kidney function.

Comment from: Abbott, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

The first symptoms of liver disease I experienced was itching. Bile was backing up in my blood. I have autoimmune disease and cirrhosis.

Comment from: M. Davis, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 18

Yellow in the whites of my eyes was the first symptom of liver disease I experienced. I had a liver transplant on March 19, 1986, over 30 years now and still going. I turned 26 while I waited for my liver. I had a disease attack my liver when I was about 21 years old, primary sclerosis cholangitis (PSC). I have been very fortunate. I have had a donor liver over half my life. Since the transplant I have had 3 awesome kids all in college now and an angel for a wife. A year after the surgery, I was able to go back and finish dental school. There have been a few rough times, but never rejection. PSC is the closing down of the bile ducts.

Comment from: Retired Surgeon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

My first symptom of liver disease was fatigue not relieved by rest.

Comment from: Urfine, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I recently had what felt like liver pain for about two months. A dull ache that felt like a swollen liver. For about the same amount of time I felt pressure and pain under my left rib which I thought was an enlarged spleen. I was sure I was dying because I was a heavy drinker for about ten years. I was worried sick and finally went today for ultrasound scan and lab tests. Turned out everything was clean. Perfectly normal. If you are searching the internet for hope with symptoms know it’s very possible you are fine.

Comment from: Barbara, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I’ve had elevated liver enzymes since age 18. Initial symptoms began at age 52 and started with night time nausea and vomiting, decreased appetite, continually elevated liver enzymes, ascites, balance problems, and elevated blood ammonia I later developed cognitive/memory problems and finally jaundice with severe abdominal pain.

SLIDESHOW