Liver Transplant

What was the cause of you needing a liver transplant? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: John , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

Wilson’s disease was the reason for my liver transplant.

Comment from: Jiyo India, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 29

I am a 55-year-old male. I have had liver cirrhosis for 35 years and need a liver transplant. In liver cirrhosis, we can see the scarring of the liver surface and this results in the replacement of normal tissues with scar tissues. This leads to hard and uneven liver surface.

Comment from: Geoge, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I am a 61 year old male. I have had ulcerative colitis for 35 years, otherwise very healthy. Colitis was treated with medicines nicely. Suddenly early 11/2017 urine was root beer colored and skin and eyes were yellowed from jaundice. I also felt extreme fatigue. I spent a week in the hospital. I had 2 ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) procedures with stent added. I was diagnosed with PSC (primary sclerosing cholangitis) and autoimmune hepatitis. I was added to the transplant list 12/22/2017. I had a liver transplant 1/4/2018. As of 3/6/2018 I feel close to normal. Strength and stamina need to increase.

Comment from: Natalie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

When I was a very healthy 42 year old I needed some big dental fillings done and, terrified, I asked if there was anything to relax me. I was offered the green whistle containing an analgesic called methoxyflurane which worked well on the first occasion. I returned to the dentist three weeks later to have more fillings done and accepted relaxation treatment with the green whistle again. I began feeling very unwell over the next 12 hours. My health quickly deteriorated and I presented at emergency with acute and severe liver and kidney failure and was very lucky to survive and receive a liver transplant within 48 hours. Liver serum was sent from here in Perth, Western Australia to Maryland University in the US and re-exposure to methoxyflurane was determined to be the cause.

Comment from: Ronnie, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 10

I'm a 64-year-old male, and I had hepatitis C since early 70s, then cirrhosis, then liver cancer diagnosed in April 2014. I was only on waiting list for 40 days and got a new liver on 11/11/14. I'm now one year post-transplant and doing great. I'm the luckiest guy on earth. I have not been sick for one minute since surgery, energy returned gradually, and my itch went away, which to me was one of the main benefits. Anyway, I say hang in there to anyone who is in the mess I was in, and good luck.

Comment from: Answers please, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 19

My mother had a liver transplant 1 year ago. Three months after the transplant she started having ascites and has to go thru a paracentesis every 10 days. Wonder if anybody else has this problem after a transplant. Doctors cannot seem to figure out what the problem may be.

Comment from: anon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I was diagnosed with Budd Chiari disease (I make too many red blood cells causing clots) after collapsing on holiday 10 years ago. I needed a liver transplant within 48 hours. Luckily for me one became available and I have cherished every day since.

Comment from: Don, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had 4 back to back liver transplants at the University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics from 10/03/2002 thru 10/13/2002. I am now 12 years out from my surgery and doing great. The doctor says that I will never die from my liver.

Comment from: cat50, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I was diagnosed 9 years ago with cirrhosis. I did not drink to get it.

Comment from: jake, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

Alcohol and hemochromatosis caused my need for a liver transplant.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

My husband has PSC, primary sclerosing cholangiolitis. He was diagnosed with PSC on his 57 birthday in February. He does have a history of ulcerative colitis. We started on our new adventure of getting on the liver transplant list. He has not felt well since February and he cannot work due to weakness. He has had stents placed in the ducts in his liver four times. At this time his bilirubin is 11. We will continue to pray for strength.

SLIDESHOW

Hepatitis C, Hep B, Hep A: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

Drinking alcohol from age 16 to age 64 caused me to need a liver transplant.

Comment from: tcwyatt96, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I inherited a mutated gene called Factor V Leiden from my mother, which put me at high risk for clots. My liver clotted shut and by the time I realized something was wrong at age 38, it had already caused me to have a liver disease called Budd Chiari Syndrome. Tips did not work so they by-passed my liver by moving the portal vein above the clotted hepatic veins and putting a shunt in it to keep me alive. I am waiting for my numbers to change so I can be placed on the transplant list.

Comment from: A, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

Breast cancer that has spread to my liver and bone.

Comment from: 65-74 Female Published: November 09

My liver was destroyed by a prescription drug for diabetes, which is no longer on the market. I've had the new liver for 13 years and all is well.

Comment from: godmloves me, 35-44 Female Published: October 17

My liver transplant was caused because I damaged my liver with too much drinking. I nearly died, but it has been eight months since my transplant and I really want to live.

Comment from: steve g, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 20

Nearly 50 years of Hep B was worsened by heavy drinking. Cirrhosis of liver was confirmed with a transplant required within five years.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 14

Acute intermittent hepatic porphyria caused me to need a liver transplant.

Comment from: Steve G, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

Hepatitis B and abuse of alcohol was the reason I needed a liver transplant.

Comment from: Sharon, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 31

My husband (age 58) had Hep C from previous IV drug and alcohol abuse. He has been sober for 29 years, though. Unfortunately, because of the incubation time for Hep C, we did not realize he had this which subsequently led to cirrhosis and ultimately primary liver cancer. He was placed on the liver transplant list but the wait time was unknown. Our 21 yr old daughter was a clinical match and did donate 60% of her liver to her dad in 2010. Initially, they both did well, but my husband experienced multiple complications as a result of, what was explained to me, as my daughters vessels were too small which caused my husband to have multiple complications, including 3 life threatening GI bleeds, necessitating another. He is now in a nursing home after spending more than 6 months in an acute care facility, with again, multiple complications, including, massive weight loss, pneumonia x 3, nausea, constant vomiting and weight loss.

QUESTION