Low Potassium (Hypokalemia)

What treatments were effective in treating low potassium or hypokalemia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Smalm, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My doctor was against low potassium pills when I first had low potassium and now since it happens a lot he wants me on a potassium pill and magnesium pill because I can't keep my potassium level up through my diet alone, even when adding milk and bananas, etc.

Comment from: Happylady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

Viewing all the comments, it has made me realize how important it is to know our bodies. I was having chest pains and thought I had a heart attack, there was tingling in my fingertips. In the emergency room they did a blood test and found my potassium was at 2.4. They gave me a potassium drink and my potassium is now at 3.5. I never realized that you can have a stroke or heart failure due to low potassium. Both my parents have had strokes and now I wonder if it could have been avoided. I will definitely be eating more bananas. My deficiency was due to my high blood pressure medication. My doctor has changed my medication and I am feeling so much better.

Comment from: northman, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: April 18

I felt dizzy, almost passing out at least once from hypokalemia. I had tingling up my left hand and arm, irregular heart beat (missing every third or fourth beat), and leg cramps. I was constipated and had an upset stomach. I stopped taking water pills, had an IV potassium for 3 hours and two tablets and I feel better! I'm eating more bananas and avocados.

Comment from: Steve, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I ate a banana and retook the hypokalemia test, everything was fine.

Comment from: Bela, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 12

The level of potassium still remains low after 4 days treatment of the patient on drips for hypokalemia.

REFERENCE:

Mount, David B. MD. "Clinical Manifestations and Treatment of Hypokalemia in Adults." UptoDate. Updated Jan 7, 2016.