Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, is a long-lasting obstruction of the airways that occurs with chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both. This obstruction of airflow is progressive in that it happens over time. Chronic bronchitis is defined as a chronic (ongoing, long-term) cough not caused by another condition that produces sputum (mucus) for 3 or more months during each of the 2 consecutive years.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Lungs related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Lungs Related Resources
- Mesothelioma in Children
- Pleural Effusion
- Acute Bronchitis
- What Are Respiratory Disorders?
- Carcinoid Lung Tumors
- Pulmonary Edema
- Upper Respiratory Infection (URI)
- How Do You Get Rid of Mucus Plugs in Your Lungs?
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- How Long Can You Live with Scarred Lungs?
- What Is the Pleura of the Lung?
- What Are the Top 10 Lung Diseases?
- Does Tuberculosis Go Away?
- What Is the Most Effective Way to Stop Smoking?
- ambrisentan (Letairis) (Letairis)
- arformoterol inhalation (Brovana) (Brovana)
- varenicline (Chantix, Chantix Continuing Month, Chantix Starter Pack) (Chantix)
- pneumococcal polysaccharides vaccine (PPSV), 23-valent (Pneumovax 23) (Pneumovax 23)
- iloprost inhalation (Ventavis) (Ventavis)
- gemifloxacin (Factive) (Factive)
- tiotropium inhalation (Spiriva, Spiriva HandiHaler, Spiriva Respimat) (Spiriva)
- treprostinil (injection) (Remodulin) (Remodulin)
- bosentan (Tracleer) (Tracleer)
- formoterol (inhalation) (Perforomist) (Foradil Aerolizer, Perforomist)
- nitric oxide (inhalation gas) (INOmax) (INOmax)
- levalbuterol inhalation (Xopenex, Xopenex Concentrate, Xopenex HFA) (Xopenex, Xopenex Concentrate, Xopenex HFA)
- calfactant (Infasurf) (Infasurf)
- palivizumab (Synagis, Synagis 50 mg/0.5 mL) (Synagis)
- albuterol and ipratropium (inhalation) (Combivent Respimat, DuoNeb) (Combivent, DuoNeb)
Lungs Images and Slideshows
- Smoking: How E-cigarettes and Vaping Affect Your Body
- What's Bronchitis? Symptoms and Treatments
- Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
- Safe, Normal, Low Blood Oxygen Levels: Pulse Oximeter Chart
- COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
- How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
- How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
- Lung Disease & Respiratory Health: Should I Get a COVID-19 Antibody Test?
- Coronavirus: How COVID-19 Affects Your Body
- COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
- The Health Effects of Air Pollution
- 10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
- Picture of Airway
- Picture of Pneumothorax
- Picture of Lungs
- Who Is at High Risk for Emphysema?
- Can You Live Without Both of Your Lungs?
- How Long Does It Take to Die From Lung Cancer Without Treatment?
- How Long Do You Have to Live after Being Diagnosed with Lung Cancer?
- What Is the Life Expectancy for Someone with COPD?
- How Do You Know if You Have Lung Disease?
- How Do You Get Emphysema?
- What Are the Types of Lung Disease?
- What Happens in the Last Stages of COPD?
- What Are the Four Stages of COPD?
- Can You Have Emphysema Without Being a Smoker?
- How Do You Know You Have Lung Cancer?
- Can You Be Cured of Lung Cancer?
- Can a Person With COPD Get Better?