Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, is a long-lasting obstruction of the airways that occurs with chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both. This obstruction of airflow is progressive in that it happens over time. Chronic bronchitis is defined as a chronic (ongoing, long-term) cough not caused by another condition that produces sputum (mucus) for 3 or more months during each of the 2 consecutive years.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Lungs related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Lungs Related Resources
- Smoking (Cigarette)
- Upper Respiratory Infection (URI)
- Chemical Pneumonia
- Acute Bronchitis: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Remedies, Treatment, and Cure
- Pleural Effusion: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Complications
- Coughs (Acute and Chronic)
- Lung Cancer vs. Pneumonia
- E-Cigarettes, Vapes, or Vape Pens
- Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax)
- Chest X-Ray
- Pulmonary Edema
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
- ambrisentan (Letairis) (Letairis)
- arformoterol inhalation (Brovana) (Brovana)
- varenicline (Chantix, Chantix Continuing Month, Chantix Starter Pack) (Chantix)
- pneumococcal polysaccharides vaccine (PPSV), 23-valent (Pneumovax 23) (Pneumovax 23)
- iloprost inhalation (Ventavis) (Ventavis)
- gemifloxacin (Factive) (Factive)
- tiotropium inhalation (Spiriva, Spiriva HandiHaler, Spiriva Respimat) (Spiriva)
- treprostinil (injection) (Remodulin) (Remodulin)
- bosentan (Tracleer) (Tracleer)
- formoterol (inhalation) (Perforomist) (Foradil Aerolizer, Perforomist)
- nitric oxide (inhalation gas) (INOmax) (INOmax)
- levalbuterol inhalation (Xopenex, Xopenex Concentrate, Xopenex HFA) (Xopenex, Xopenex Concentrate, Xopenex HFA)
- calfactant (Infasurf) (Infasurf)
- palivizumab (Synagis, Synagis 50 mg/0.5 mL) (Synagis)
- albuterol and ipratropium (inhalation) (Combivent Respimat, DuoNeb) (Combivent, DuoNeb)
Lungs Images and Slideshows
- The Health Effects of Air Pollution
- Smoking: How E-cigarettes and Vaping Affect Your Body
- 10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
- Picture of Airway
- Picture of Pneumothorax
- Picture of Lungs
- How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
- Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
- Bronchitis Symptoms and Treatments
- COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
- How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
- COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
- 25 Effects of Smoking on Your Looks and Life
- Picture of Pleural Effusion
- Picture of Bronchioles
- CDC Updates Guidance on Vaping-Linked Illness, Coins Term EVALI
- Vitamin E Oil Potentially Linked to Vaping-Related Lung Illness
- CDC Investigating Surge of Vaping-Linked Respiratory Illness
- Azithromycin May Reduce Treatment Failure for COPD Exacerbations
- Who Is at High Risk for Emphysema?
- Can You Live Without Both of Your Lungs?
- FDA Investigating Reports of Seizures After Vaping
- FDA Threatens to Remove e-Cigarettes From Market as Teen Use Surges
- How Do You Get Emphysema?
- How Long Do You Have to Live after Being Diagnosed with Lung Cancer?
- What Are the Types of Lung Disease?
- How Do You Know if You Have Lung Disease?
- What Is the Life Expectancy for Someone with COPD?
- How Long Does It Take to Die From Lung Cancer Without Treatment?
- More Action on e-Cigarettes Needed, AACR Tells Lawmakers