Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, or COPD, is a long-lasting obstruction of the airways that occurs with chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both. This obstruction of airflow is progressive in that it happens over time. Chronic bronchitis is defined as a chronic (ongoing, long-term) cough not caused by another condition that produces sputum (mucus) for 3 or more months during each of the 2 consecutive years.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Lungs related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Lungs Related Resources
- What Are the Stages of COPD?
- How Serious Is a Clot on the Lung?
- What Is the Survival Rate of a Pulmonary Embolism?
- Bronchitis (Chronic)
- Acute Bronchitis
- What Does a COPD Exacerbation Feel Like?
- Is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) Painful?
- Does Insurance Pay for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?
- What Does the Respiratory System Do?
- Is Adenocarcinoma of the Lung an Aggressive Cancer?
- What Is the Function of the Larynx?
- Is Pleurisy Contagious?
- Is Whooping Cough (Pertussis) Contagious?
- How Do You Get Pneumonia?
- Carcinoid Lung Tumors
- ambrisentan (Letairis) (Letairis)
- arformoterol inhalation (Brovana) (Brovana)
- varenicline (Chantix, Chantix Continuing Month, Chantix Starter Pack) (Chantix)
- pneumococcal polysaccharides vaccine (PPSV), 23-valent (Pneumovax 23) (Pneumovax 23)
- iloprost inhalation (Ventavis) (Ventavis)
- gemifloxacin (Factive) (Factive)
- tiotropium inhalation (Spiriva, Spiriva HandiHaler, Spiriva Respimat) (Spiriva)
- treprostinil (injection) (Remodulin) (Remodulin)
- bosentan (Tracleer) (Tracleer)
- formoterol (inhalation) (Perforomist) (Foradil Aerolizer, Perforomist)
- nitric oxide (inhalation gas) (INOmax) (INOmax)
- levalbuterol inhalation (Xopenex, Xopenex Concentrate, Xopenex HFA) (Xopenex, Xopenex Concentrate, Xopenex HFA)
- calfactant (Infasurf) (Infasurf)
- palivizumab (Synagis, Synagis 50 mg/0.5 mL) (Synagis)
- albuterol and ipratropium (inhalation) (Combivent Respimat, DuoNeb) (Combivent, DuoNeb)
Lungs Images and Slideshows
- What's Bronchitis? Symptoms and Treatments
- Effects of Secondhand Smoke: Facts
- Safe, Normal, Low Blood Oxygen Levels: Pulse Oximeter Chart
- COPD Foods to Boost Your Health - COPD Diet Tips
- How to Quit Smoking Without Weight Gain
- How to Quit Smoking: 13 Tips to End Addiction
- Lung Disease & Respiratory Health: Should I Get a COVID-19 Antibody Test?
- Coronavirus: How COVID-19 Affects Your Body
- COPD Lung Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
- The Health Effects of Air Pollution
- Smoking: How E-cigarettes and Vaping Affect Your Body
- 10 Smart Exercises for People With COPD: Pictures
- Picture of Airway
- Picture of Pneumothorax
- Picture of Lungs
- US Weekly Deaths From COVID Fall to Lowest in 14 Months
- Vaping Soars Among US Teens, CDC Report Finds
- COVID-19 vs. Flu: Blood Clots in Lungs
- Doctors Puzzle Over COVID-19 Lung Problems
- CDC Updates Guidance on Vaping-Linked Illness, Coins Term EVALI
- Vitamin E Oil Potentially Linked to Vaping-Related Lung Illness
- CDC Investigating Surge of Vaping-Linked Respiratory Illness
- Azithromycin May Reduce Treatment Failure for COPD Exacerbations
- Who Is at High Risk for Emphysema?
- Can You Live Without Both of Your Lungs?
- FDA Investigating Reports of Seizures After Vaping
- FDA Threatens to Remove e-Cigarettes From Market as Teen Use Surges
- How Do You Get Emphysema?
- How Long Do You Have to Live after Being Diagnosed with Lung Cancer?
- What Are the Types of Lung Disease?