Lyme Disease

How was the diagnosis of your lyme disease established? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: FireDaniels, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

Approximately two years ago, I had a rash which appeared on my hip. Shortly after the rash I began to have tingling in my hands and feet and dysesthesia (predominately burning, but occasional sensations of water and pin-pricks). Within about two weeks I had acute onset of profound muscle weakness which resolved on its own after emergency MRI and electromyogram (approximately 4 days), followed by months of muscle fasciculation (whole body). These sensations did decrease over time, though I had visited many clinics, and was eventually diagnosed with centralized pain syndrome. With that said, the symptoms never fully resolved, and I continue to have a rash which predominately occurs down my spine, and legs during periods of pronounced symptoms. I have had various Lyme's tests, this year was the first time I had IGG/IGM testing, and both came back positive. However, the second testing was negative. My current status is pronounced neuro issues on the right side of the face, neck, shoulder, and eye. I have no complete diagnosis, and am currently on baclofen as needed to control spasms.

Comment from: jk, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

They had to do a spinal tap with the blood test to confirm Lyme disease.

Comment from: NCLymie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

My dermatologist kept treating my rash for many things: ringworm, dermatitis, etc. Finally, he asked me if I had ever been bitten by an insect there and my head started reeling. I had bitten by a tick 6 months before and I had not been feeling myself for some time. This tells me that the CDC description of the timing of the rash does not apply in all cases. I live in NC, getting doctors to take me seriously was very difficult. If it wasn't for the dermatologist, I would have never known and still would be terribly sick.

Comment from: PHI, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 16

I am a public health inspector. If I might, I would like to add some information on the removal of ticks. With your tweezers, it's important to grab the mouth part of the tick while removing it. Pressing on the abdomen would result in discharging the bacteria (if present) into the body. Wash with water and soap. Then, you should bring the tick to your local health unit or hospital for testing. Thank you eMedicineHealth for your good work!

Comment from: Gardener, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I walk in woods regularly in area where there are many ticks. I was not warned of this on arrival to the area. I began to notice small black dots that were attached ticks now and again and pulled them out with tweezers. I met someone whose health had been seriously damaged by a tick bite. So after that, I was a bit more careful with protective clothing in forest areas, but I also began to suspect I might be getting bitten in my own large garden. Then last week, I had a severe skin reaction on the back of my calf where I could not have seen a tick. After the weekend, I went to my doctor who diagnosed it as Lyme disease from my description and the high-risk area. He prescribed antibiotics, as I expected.

Comment from: faith, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 19

I saw the tick on my upper thigh and thought it was a mole, but when toweling off after a shower the tiny tick fell off. By the next day there was an area about the size of a 50 cent piece, rather dark red then a larger area of pinkish red surrounding the first ring. It was measure by the doctor as six inches wide. I started doxycycline right away.

Comment from: Mariann, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Lyme disease is a nightmare, especially when it goes undiagnosed for so long. I don't care what any doctor says, I am the one who is suffering from this awful disease, I wonder how they would feel if they woke up almost every day with burning head pain like someone was lighting a match to it, or a neck so stiff that it hurts to hold your head up or agonizing ear pain, or continuous discharge from your eyes, or continuously having to clear your throat, to name only a few of the symptoms. When I get through this I will write a book so that people will be aware of what I have been through and hopefully not have to suffer like I have been.

Comment from: peggy, 65-74 Female Published: December 27

I thought I had a virus. I had a headache, achy joints and no appetite for about 10 days. I went to the doctor when I noticed a red welt on my leg. A blood test confirmed Lyme disease. I was bitten and felt and saw the tick. My husband removed it, and we brought it to the doctor who confirmed it was a "deer tick." Since we had found it and immediately reported it, I was given medication to be taken immediately. I felt fine but upon being tested three weeks later, I was POSITIVE. I just finished 21 days of an antibiotic.

Comment from: Christine, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I noticed what I thought was a spider bite in July of 2007 on my lower abdomen. A couple of days later, I noticed a small, red rash (in the vicinity of the bite but not around it) that was hot to the touch and itchy. I spent a lot of time on the Internet looking for information on spider bites because I never saw a tick. However, over the next week, it progressively grew larger and developed a bull's eye-look. I had also been suffering from very painful joints since the rash appeared. Finally alarmed, I went to the doctor and was immediately diagnosed with Lyme disease. Since that time, I have gone through two treatments of antibiotics. The second was prescribed months later because I still suffered from joint pain. To this day, I still suffer joint pain in my hips, and the pain is worse some months than others. However, I think I am luckier than about half of those afflicted. If you are reading this (I really worried at all the horror stories when I was diagnosed), don't expect to be healed totally, just be thankful that it isn't worse.

Comment from: 13-18 (Patient) Published: September 11

Six years ago, I began experiencing severe headaches and visual disturbances. Whenever I stood up my vision would either go black or I would see swirling colors. My doctor said it was migraines and left it at that. Upon visiting my eye doctor for a routine check-up, he saw that my optic nerve was swollen and raised and that I had hemorrhaging in my brain. I was told to get to the neurology center of a very good hospital right away. It was there that I found out I had viral meningitis and received a spinal tap that lasted 45 minutes. My spinal pressure was 400 (normal is 100) and they drained 30 CCs of fluid. A few days later, I got a call saying they tested my spinal fluid for Lyme disease and it turned out positive. I was then started on IV antibiotics for 28 days.

Comment from: satkartarkaur, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I had the typical symptoms of Lyme disease. I had a large red bull's eye rash on side of arm for a week which was sore and started to get larger.

• Lyme Disease - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with your Lyme disease?

Post View 8 Comments
  • Lyme Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your lyme disease?

Post View 2 Comments

American College of Rheumatology. "Lyme Disease." June 2015. <http://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/Patient-Caregiver/Diseases-Conditions/Lyme-Disease>.

American Lyme Disease Foundation. "How to Find a Physician to Treat Lyme Disease." 2015 <http://www.aldf.com/finding-a-physician/>.

The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. "The History of the Lyme Disease Vaccine." July 31, 2014. <http://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/history-lyme-disease-vaccine>.

Hu, Linden. "Clinical manifestations of Lyme disease in adults." June 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-manifestations-of-lyme-disease-in-adults?source=search_result&search=lyme+disease&selectedTitle=1~150>.

Shapiro, Eugene D. "Lyme disease: Clinical manifestations in children." June 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/lyme-disease-clinical-manifestations-in-children?source=search_result&search=lyme+disease+children&selectedTitle=4~150>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Lyme Disease." June 2, 2015. <http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Natural Tick Repellents and Pesticides." Mar. 14, 2016. <http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/prev/natural-repellents.html>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Tick removal and testing." Nov. 5, 2015.<https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/removal/index.html>.

University of Maryland Medical Center. "Lyme disease." Dec. 9, 2014. <http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/lyme-disease>.