Meniere's Disease

Please describe your symptoms and effective treatment for meniere disease. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Betty, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 01

After MRI and scans I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease and have hearing loss in my left ear. I have periods of having no symptoms but then suffer from ear fullness, deafness, tinnitus and eventually dizzy attack. These can be so bad that I can't move my eyes without being sick. Buccastem helps with the physical vomiting but not the feeling. I take Betahistine 3 times a day. My gynecologist thinks hormones could be an issue and is having me try a progesterone only pill. Other triggers are tiredness, stress, and aspartame.

Comment from: bcinkc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

After swimming underwater in an outdoor hotel pool is when I first noticed the problems. I believe bacteria gave me an inner ear problem. I could not hear out of my right ear and had a severe earache. Doctors don't know what the cause of my Meniere's disease is. I feel the dizziness when I am under stress or due to sudden directional head movement. I have controlled my attacks by changing my diet. I don't have caffeine, chocolate, and salt. I have always suffered from allergies and asthma. I have permanent hearing loss and constant ringing in my right ear. I have not had a full blown attack for three years. I hope soon doctors learn more about the treatment and cause for Meniere's disease.

Comment from: cwin77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have just been diagnosed with Meniere's. My ear problems started about a year ago. I'm dizzy a lot, always in pain from the ear pressure, and I hear ringing. It's stressful and I have to have quiet around me because loud noise actually hurts. I still work full time, but stopped going to church as much. I'm afraid I'll end up a hermit.

Comment from: kamal, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 29

This is the story of successful recovery of a Meniere's patient. She had episodes of vertigo from 13 to 14 years before, initially 1 to 2 episodes in 2 to 3 years. Frequency of episodes increased in March 2005. Vertigo with vomiting lasted for 20 minutes. With repeated head movement and bending gradually tinnitus appeared. Doctors suggested audiometric and other investigations. This situation remained unchanged for last 9 years. They concluded it as incurable Meniere's disease. Initially the patient was on Vertin (betahistine) 8 mg to 24 mg 1 to 3 times daily, and Stugeron and Alprax occasionally; besides homeopathy and other treatments, none of which worked. This problem is due to the accumulation of fluid in inner ear. It was observed that during glycerol audiometry the problem was reduced. So to reduce the extra fluid osmotic diuretics were given. This reduced the problem to a great extent but its taste and feeling after the dose was not very agreeable. Therefore its herbal substitute was selected. One of best herbal diuretics is dandelion. It is available as homeopathic medicine. There has been no episode of vertigo since the first dose of diuretic was given.

Comment from: long term sufferer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I have suffered from Meniere's for 10 years. The vertigo was sporadic, but the pressure in my ear and the tinnitus was constant. I was told to learn to live with it. A few weeks ago it got worse, and I could tell a major attack was coming on. In desperation I looked for an acupuncturist, and amazingly enough, this has worked for me. The attack was thwarted, the pressure in my ear is gone, the tinnitus is starting to subside, and I am clear headed for the first time in 10 years. Totally amazing. Of course, it is not as simple as that entirely. My acupuncture doctor (he is an MD as well) says I need to follow up with lifestyle changes towards stress management, and so I am signed up for a Tai Chi class as well. The combination is working very well for me, and is something like a miracle as far as I am concerned. I was miserable for 10 years, and the relief has been so sudden and profound...can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it might be worth a try!

Comment from: Tom, 55-64 (Patient) Published: September 12

I went to an upper cervical chiropractor and it helped my Meniere's disease.

Comment from: david, Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I have ringing in my left ear, and from time to time get very sick and dizzy. I had a brain scan thinking I might have a brain tumor, but turned out to be Meniere's disease. I think gambling losses set it off as I always suffer when I am broke, never when I am winning. The brain is a strange thing, maybe depression sets it off. I decided to give up gambling to see if that works. Good luck to all suffers, it is awful when you feel sick and dizzy.

Comment from: Audrey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I've had tinnitus for about 50 years. Vertigo started about 10 years ago and I am now on my third time. The vertigo lasts several weeks. The only thing that even helps is an herbal prescription (yes, an herbal that requires a prescription) called VERTIGOHEEL. You dissolve one pill under the tongue 3x daily. Few drug stores carry it, but it can be ordered or purchased online. It is important for me to tell you that this not a cure and might not help you, but for me, it reduces symptoms. The head rotation positioning also helps.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: September 21

My mother's doctor had her cut out all caffeine products (coffee, tea, chocolate). Although she was a big coffee drinker she switched to decaffeinated coffee and herbal teas and cut out her most beloved chocolate. This treatment absolutely worked for her.

Comment from: Peter, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

My Meniere's started with vertigo and nausea that went away for a while, but about one to two months later, the tinnitus started again, and for the last four months has not stopped. It's mostly in the left ear but also a bit in the right and more or less at the same pitch, but it fluctuates just slightly. The ENT specialist said I just have to accept it. Coming to terms with it has been tough, but I think it's slowly getting easier to accept. Day-time is manageable, lately I've often forgotten it's there, but night-time can be rough at times. Melatonin usually helps me get to sleep a bit easier. The vertigo is not as severe as it was right at the beginning, but it is still unsettling, especially when out in public. I've found I've started getting some mood swings too, which I think are likely from pent up frustration with the tinnitus. But I'm trying to just enjoy life and take pleasure in some of the simple things that I would have taken for granted before or never appreciated as much. Walks outside, a game of golf, gardening … just the simple company of friends, video games, etc. I think a positive outlook goes a long way in being able to deal with this sometimes debilitating condition. I wish all fellow sufferers the best of luck in dealing with it.

Comment from: mo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had a minor operation 3 years ago and came around from the anesthetic with a full blown Meniere's attack. It was a good four weeks before I could get on my feet without getting sick, and after repeated visits to the doctor, I found on the Internet that American doctors treat the symptoms with antidepressants. Since I found this out, I have been on Prozac for three years, and I must admit that it has changed my life.

Comment from: Tomkat, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I don't have a diagnosis, but the ringing of the ears, started a few months ago. I have had issues in the mornings where my eyes don't really focus right for a while after getting up and generally feeling off balance for a while as well. Just last week I had an episode where I was squatting down at work and stood up and all heck broke loose. The whole place started spinning back and forth in a circle so bad I almost fell over. After a few minutes it went away. I went home and then to the doctor. My lipase level was out of this world and scared the doctors(1485) and then came back down. I am waiting for more test results as they think it might be my gall bladder or pancreas. They gave me something for vertigo, but I had another less strong episode a month ago doing the same movement and now this happens....Hmmmmm.

Comment from: msmistya, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with Meniere's about five years ago. I have awful vertigo and ringing in my ears, but no nausea. My doctor prescribed meclizine, which helps. I started taking a multivitamin a few months back and have seen major improvements in the vertigo. I was dizzy daily before, now I still have the "sensation" but not the overwhelming, dropped-to-my-knees attacks like before. I don't know if taking the vitamins helped or if it's my imagination, but I can tell a difference when I don't take them. The vertigo gets worse.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: August 10

I have had 2 attacks in the past 5 weeks. My next step is to have an MRI done which will be next week. I have extreme nausea and refuse to move from wherever I am sitting because of the dizziness and sickness that I feel. My first attack lasted about 8 hours. The one the other day lasted about 3. I felt like a zombie the next day. The nausea is horrible. I hope that there is something that will help me and I wish I could figure out the symptoms that bring it on. I've been having a light blowing sensation in my right ear for about two months.

Comment from: tinky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I had severe vertigo and sickness and blurred vision suddenly and was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis but on getting out of bed on the fourth day my legs went from under me and I didn't know what was happening to me. It turns out that I have Meniere's disease.

Comment from: timothy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 12

My husband has been told that he has Meniere disease. He has had one procedure done to open the ear canal, which did not release any pressure. He has since seen a specialist. The doctor there put him on a water pill, potassium, and a low-salt diet. He suffered from leg cramps caused by the water pill. We are now in the works of a divorce.

Comment from: mmaj, Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I'm only 35 I have been trying to live with meneire's disease. I got a bad vertigo spell 10 months ago and have had many more spells since. I now live off balance and feel light headed all the time.

Comment from: srstech, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I had my first Meniere's episode 20 years ago. It came on slowly but eventually was full-blown and lasted about 5 hours. I was diagnosed quickly and given diuretics and anti-vertigo medicine. Eleven years passed before the next episode, so I had even forgotton until the dizziness, nausea and ringing reminded me. I eventually had to get a hearing aid in my right ear. I have attack-free for over 5 years now and I believe it is because I took seriously my ENT doctor's advice about Lipo-Flavonoid, an OTC supplement. He always gave me samples but I never followed through until the last set of attacks. Then I searched online and now have them mailed to me in bulk.

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

My first vertigo attacks were 40 years ago, infrequent and undiagnosed. In the 1990s the condition worsened and I suffered frequent debilitating and severe attacks of vertigo, nausea and vomiting and gradual loss of hearing in one ear. The attacks became irregular, but they have returned, and I suffer almost daily attacks which profoundly affect my quality of life. The hearing in my other ear is worsening and I use a hearing aid. There is no magical treatment and I just keep taking the pills! Dietary changes are a waste of time - just try and relax and enjoy your coffee. A cochlear implant is being discussed for the hearing loss, but little is known about the effect this procedure would have on the Meniere's. This is a truly debilitating condition with no known cause or cure so we sufferers have to "manage" our own health as best we can. Thank God I have a sympathetic and supportive family.

Comment from: mason, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

My spinning and feeling of dizziness started about a year ago. I was so scared first time I called ambulance was diagnosed with vertigo .I was all sweaty and threw up, and now it comes more often. My doctor says inner ear trouble is causing my vertigo on Antivert hope it helps.

Comment from: Tennessee, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 12

My husband has had Meniere's for over 10 years. Initially, he was misdiagnosed with some kind of brain vascular disorder and the doctor prescribed him anti-depressants. After finally consulting with an ENT doc, he was told about Meniere's. He is horrible with being disciplined about a low-sodium diet or cutting caffeine, but we have found that if he starts to feel the pressure/plugged feeling in his ear that usually leads to an episode of dizziness, he can take a SINUS pill and overt the incident completely. Since fluid behind the ear drum and in the middle ear is generally what causes the vertigo, the sinus medication helps drain the sinus and ear passages. Change in air pressure, humidity, allergies, can all affect the fluid shift in his ears. So the OTC sinus meds have really been effective.

Comment from: Covington, LA, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 10

My husband suffered from this dreaded disease for so long he finally lost most of his hearing. His attacks would bring him to his knees and the dizziness and nausea would be so severe it would induce vomiting. After being checked for everything in the book an ENT found great success in treating patients with Menieres by performing a Mastoidectomy. My husband was cured of the spells 100%. The procedure is not complicated and worth looking into.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was experiencing a positional vertigo when I turned my head into a certain position. I was seen by an ENT who treated this disorder by positioning me in a reclining chair and turning the affected side of my head towards the floor. The position was held for approximately 10 minutes. It apparently shifted the fluid in my inner ear and alleviated the symptoms for several months. It's worth a try for those who suffer with this type of vertigo.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with Meniere's after having 2 acute attacks of vertigo and vomiting at work. I am an ER nurse, so this was very frightening to me! I was afraid I would lose my job if I kept feeling sick out of nowhere! My ENT prescribed Dyazide (a diuretic-- daily), a low salt diet and Meclizine (for vertigo as needed). I have not had any acute attacks for over a year now and I have to admit I do not necessarily even watch my salt too much. I do, however maintain a healthy diet and weight. I do have hearing loss in my left ear w/ tinnitus, but have learned to live with it. The Dyazide seems to do the trick for me. Hope this is helpful to someone!

Comment from: longjon, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I've lived with tinnitus for 50 years. It started when I was serving abroad on a diesel powered destroyer as an engineman in the Navy. Recently, it has led to attacks of vertigo and constant headaches with nausea. The Veterans Administration is about to give me a brain scan to find where and how severe the damage is. I'm hoping to hear from other Veterans with the same problem.

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have living with Meniere disease for 23 years now and I still haven't found a specialist nor a doctor who can help me. I constantly hear a ringing in my ears, and when I get the attacks, my eyes usually blur. My latest symptoms are different from others. Usually, when I get dizzy, everything spins in a left to right motion. The new symptoms are weird because everything was moving up and down very fast and I couldn't open my eyes. As usual, I slept until the symptoms went away. It really has been a burden to me because I can't drive without wondering when is it going to happen, and it makes me miss days at work. I really can deal with the ringing, but the dizziness and vomiting and the pressure behind the eyes are too much!

Comment from: cliff115, 35-44 Male Published: September 21

I have dealt with vertigo for almost 6 years now, and always thought it stemmed from an injury to my ear but was unsure. So, for the past 6 years, I've dealt with the symptoms by taking ginger gravol or going to the doctor. I recently talked to a nurse and she mentioned Meniere's Disease and I checked up on it here, and saw all the symptoms fit me to a tee. I will definitely be seeing my doctor to see what can be done to manage this. Thank you for your comments. This has helped me out a lot.

Comment from: cavalier, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am newly diagnosed with Meniere's disease. My experience started with awakening one morning to a violently spinning room, nausea, vomiting and inability to stand up without falling over. The first attack lasted 3 days. The second episode lasted 2 days and the third episode lasted 1 day. I have been managing my symptoms with valium, compazine, bonnine (OTC), and prednisone. I am also following a low salt diet. I am only 90 days into this situation, so it is too early to tell how well these things will help me.

Comment from: katiegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have been somewhat diagnosed with Menieres Disease 6 weeks ago May 2010. First I had Sudden Hearing Loss (High and Low freq). In Jan 2010 my first episode of Menieres was very scary since I did not know what was going on and ended up at doctors on call, where I was informed that with the symptoms I had I was having a Menieres attack, my ENT doctor has put in on Valium which does help when taken when a attack is starting. Now I have vertigo afterwards. I tried a cranial/sacral massage and that did work the first time, less ringing in ear (right) and felt great for 2 days then on the 3rd day had menieres attacks for 2 days. I am waiting to consult with a Chiro here in Co. that did a 3 month study on a 40 year woman and has improved her symptoms of Menieres (no ringing and vertigo), so I am hoping that this will help me. I don't mind the loss of hearing what bothers me is the menieres attacks and the vertigo, my ENT doctor I find is lacking in the knowledge of Menieres Disease, which is frustrating.

Medically reviewed by Peter O'Connor, MD; American Board of Otolaryngology with subspecialty in Sleep Medicine

REFERENCE: