Meningitis in Adults

What treatment did you receive for meningitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shepdog, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

I had a flu for about a week. I went back to work after missing 5 days, but I was dealing with an ear infection from the flu and it started hurting really bad. I started getting really bad headaches and stiff neck. I chronically already deal with headaches and back/neck pain for which I receive treatment; pain medicines and nerve block shots. So when I went to Urgent Care, they gave me an antibiotic for my ear. The next day things had worsened. Headache was so bad it felt like a clamp was on my head. I went to my main doctor and I started getting confused and saying things that didn't quite make sense. So he ordered a spinal tap and it came back as bacterial meningitis. I was placed in the ICU for 4 days. I was in the hospital non-ICU for another 3 days. When I came home things seemed to be getting better the 1st night. That next day my wife was asking me something and I wasn't responding with an answer back. After a minute or so I then answered her. This happened again 10 minutes later. She called the paramedics and they rushed me to the hospital again. I was having seizures and my wife didn't realize it because it was a response issue not a full blown epileptic seizure. I was again in the hospital for another week. I couldn't really walk, my head was still hurting, so were my neck and back, my eyes were extremely sensitive to light, and I was still having trouble hearing. I eventually went home after 3 or 4 weeks and returned back to work on a temporary basis and slowly increased hours every week until I was back to my regular hours. I now have to take seizure medication and can't drive for at least 6 months. I will have another brain scan at the 5 month date since my illness and the neurologist will compare it to the one I had in hospital, to determine if there is any scar tissue from the meningitis. I still feel achy, which is from the seizure medication I have to take, I hope! What's really weird is that I no longer get my chronic headaches anymore which is either a blessing or the seizure medication Keppra is helping. Keppra is known for helping patients with migraines. I won't know until I'm off the medication. I also have my hearing back but I still need to be tested. I feel very lucky and know that if it wasn't for my wife, I may not be here today, she saved my life by responding so quickly.

Comment from: Redwrangler, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 08

My 18 year old son woke up one day and felt heavy and had a headache. We assumed it was a flu bug. A week later the headache (back of his head) worsened. We went to the hospital and was told it was migraine. We knew better as he does suffer from migraine. Three days later, we went to urgent care. He was given a shot of Toradol with little relief. Next day, to the emergency room (ER), CT scan, IV fluids with multiple medicines and nerve blocking shots. Approximately three days later, went to the neurologist. He was sent back to the ER and admitted. He had MRI and spinal tap. It was viral meningitis. We are waiting on results from infectious disease department as to the origin. Now my youngest is sick with flu type virus. We are watching and waiting.

Comment from: kk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am a school nurse. I have the same symptoms of meningitis, bad headache for 9 days, fatigue, and light sensitivity. No diagnosis yet, but steroids and OTC anti-inflammatory medicines help. I am going back to the doctor again today. At school we have seen students with severe headache.

Comment from: Onza, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

My father has the meningitis and was admitted in the hospital last Monday. He has confusion and headache, and his spinal cord is painful. I don't know what his treatment is.

• Meningitis in Adults - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with meningitis?

Post View 35 Comments

Hasbun, R. "Meningitis." June 18, 2017. Medscape. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/232915-overview>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Multistate Outbreak of Fungal Meningitis and Other Infections –Healthcare Facilities." Oct. 29, 2015. <http://www.cdc.gov/hai/outbreaks/meningitis-facilities-map.html>.