Viewer Comments: Meningitis in Adults - Symptoms

eMedicineHealth

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Meningitis in Adults:

Meningitis in Adults - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with meningitis?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

It was December 20th and I came home from Christmas shopping. I told my husband I had an earache and was going to bed. By the next morning he found me unresponsive and sideways on the bed. By the time the paramedics arrived they found me with 103 temperature and could not wake me and my blood pressure was dangerously high. I woke up on December 23rd with a PICC line and in the ICU with a diagnosis of strep/pneumococcal meningitis. I spent 8 days in the hospital and came home on the 28th with PICC line and outpatient antibiotics. The fast response of my husband kept me alive.

Comment from: Carrie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have a heart transplant and am immune suppressed. I had a headache for 3 weeks, went to the doctor and he said stress. I went to a different doctor a week later and he said that he couldn't find anything wrong. After 3 or 4 weeks, my fever shot up to 103. My mother took me to the emergency room and they did a spinal. I had 2 kinds of meningitis at the same time. They said I got it from dressing a deer. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and my chances were 50/50. It I lost 20 lb. and it took me almost 6 months to recover. I was fortunate.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I had a bad earache and just thought I was getting a cold. I took a bath and went to bed. The next morning, I got up to go to work but I was extremely lethargic. My husband kept asking me what was wrong and finally, when I couldn't answer him, he called 911. I couldn't answer the paramedic's questions correctly on the way to the hospital. I was almost unconscious by the time I arrived at the hospital. I did not have a fever, or more obvious symptoms. The nurse said there was one more test, a spinal tap. The fluid showed I had Bacterial Meningitis. The next 24 hours were crucial. I was on 4 antibiotics until they found the one that would treat my bacteria. I was in the hospital 5 days and had a pic line in my arm to receive IV antibiotics for 14 more days. Without my husband's quick actions, I would not be here today. He saved my life!

Comment from: sam, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I am feeling very tired, have body fatigue, fever, and neck pain. I took a tablet but it is not working.

Comment from: ShiMulan, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 19

My daughter, 39 years old, developed bacterial meningitis after surgery for ACL (anterior cruciate ligament), knee and tibial fracture, where supplemental anesthesia was administered via spinal.

Comment from: Deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My symptoms started as flu-like. I became more lethargic over 24 hours. I had an extreme headache and neck pain with increasing weakness in left leg when I walked. Confusion set in once I arrived at the ER.

Comment from: Jennifer, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was actually 6 months pregnant. I had a terrible headache for about three days. It was different from any other headache I had experienced because it was concentrated in the very top of my head. I felt as if the top of my head were going to blow off. Since I was pregnant I could only take acetaminophen, and that had no effect on it. I didn't have the stiff neck though. After about three days of that headache, I just collapsed. I couldn't get out of bed, I began vomiting profusely, and I spiked a temperature of 105. I was also delirious and even paranoid. I was taken to the ER and instantly admitted -- no waiting. The next few days are a blur. I know they could not keep my fever below 105 even though they were giving me acetaminophen every four hours. I remember the lumbar puncture, which ideally should not have been performed on a pregnant woman. I was given both antiviral and antibiotic meds through IV. They concluded my meningitis was viral, but the specific virus was never identified. Had it been bacterial I'm sure my baby and I would have died. Even so, it took me weeks to get back any strength, and I remained weak and nauseated for the rest of my pregnancy, which had been normal prior to the meningitis. FYI, my daughter is fine and suffered no ill effects.

Comment from: Tee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I went to work lethargic, with a headache and stiff neck. I was able to touch my chin to my chest. I had a fever of over 103 degrees until I started vomiting and passed out at home. I had one ER visit and was sent home with Fioricet. I passed out again several days later with a fever of over 103 degrees until I was admitted to the hospital. The pain was the worse I ever had in life. I was treated with IV antibiotics and antiviral medications.