Menopause (Symptoms, Remedies, and Treatment Medications)

What symptoms have you experienced with menopause? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tricia , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 13

My period ended very early, at or around 39 or 40 something years of age. I remember around 9 years ago I was feeling like I was going to lose my mind and didn't know what was wrong with me, it turned out to be anxiety and now I also have panic disorder. So my guess is that I was premenopausal and that's why I had anxiety. I am now 52 and the hot flashes, jitters, nervousness, and fast heart rate have started. My doctor said, 'it is time' meaning to get menopause symptoms. I feel awful!

Comment from: Onel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I am 52 years old and into my menopause; I haven't had my period in 4 months. I get hot flashes like I'm burning up. I have been getting these clear sticky discharges lately. I wonder what that means! There is no odor to it.

Comment from: kkkyystone, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 56, my last period was a few months before my 55th birthday so I am officially in menopause. I had a fairly easy time of it until 53 where I had a year of extremely heavy periods and came down with anemia. They wanted to try an intrauterine device (IUD), I tried acupuncture instead. It worked. I had three regular periods and then they stopped. I still get hot flashes and still struggle with some fatigue. I am still trying to lose the 10 pounds I gained. No more periods is great, but the hot flashes are annoying.

Comment from: tracy73, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

With menopause I have burning during sex.

Comment from: insanityrus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I am a 55 year old female who never had a regular period; I would have one for 3 days for 2 months and then not have one for a year or so. I took fertility drugs and had two children. They said my LSH and FSH levels were backwards. I got pregnant for my third child at 35 without any fertility drugs. I was on Depo-Provera for almost 20 years and stopped it four months ago. They said my FSH levels say I am post-menopausal. Due to the Depo I haven't had a period in almost 20 years. I have had urinary incontinence for the last few years, hot flashes for the past few weeks that last for at least 5 minutes apiece, and a brownish discharge for at least a month. If I am post-menopausal I wonder why all this is happening now, but get no answers.

Comment from: Chillyhilly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

Looks like I'm one of the lucky ones. A few hot flashes a day but they don't really bother me. Maybe I am more emotional than I used to be but on the whole no big deal at all. Gone a year without a period now so I'm guessing that's the menopause done. So if you're worrying about going through it after reading all the horror stories on here please stop as you could have it easy too.

Comment from: Alice, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 27

I reached menopause when I was 43. Slowly I had fallen ill, and I started having hot flashes. They were so bad that I used to break out in a sweat every half hour. I found it really stressful. At last with my friend's suggestion, I started using VieBien menopause support, a natural menopause relief supplement. Really it was magic, it ended all my symptoms.

Comment from: soi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I am 55 years old and still having heavy bleeding with clots, and fever on those days in the range of 99 to 102. I don't know whether it is normal with menopause. The bleeding is controlled with tranexamic acid 500 mg thrice a day.

Comment from: Teresa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I began at age 39 with breast cancer, then 13 years later, I got bone cancer. The nighttime and daytimes heat flashes because of the menopause are awful. I wake up with wet hair and wet shirt.

Comment from: amyplus, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I am menopausal from 4 years, I had just a few menopausal symptoms so I decided not to take HRT (hormone replacement therapy). However, I actually have problems with dryness and irritation of the vagina which makes sex painful, I guess it is due to the lack of estrogen. I was looking for alternatives to manage this problem and I found this new treatment, it seems to be painless and able to solve this kind of problem, it is called MonaLisa Touch.

I'm 37 and am having weird symptoms that I believe to be menopause. I am frustrated at the lack of straight-forward information. For instance, why are they not doing more in-depth studies of progesterone cream, or bioidentical hormones? If men went through menopause, I'd bet they'd have all this figured out by now....

Comment from: snow_hiker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I started "the change" when I turned 40. Bear in mind, I only had spotting during my menses, but also suffered cramping so bad the first day, I was on prescription pain pills to be able to function. Even after the birth of my only child at age 32, I continued to only spot, but no more cramps. I have NOT had any surgery to remove my female parts or tie my tubes, everything is still in tact. Once I had started the change, I went through what my doctor called "classic" text book symptoms. These included: night sweats, hot flashes, irregular periods (not every month), mood swings, increase/decrease in libido, weight changes, etc.. My doctor told me that once I quit having my menses for a full 12 months, I would be "completed" through the change. He was right, but I still have the occasional hot flashes. He said that can happen and may or may not continue the rest of my life. HE SAID EVERY WOMAN IS DIFFERENT WHEN IT COMES TO MENOPAUSE, AND THAT EACH ONE WILL EXPERIENCE A COMBINATION OF SYMPTOMS. He also SUGGESTED (mind you)that if I could deal with going through menopause and afterwards WITHOUT HRT (hormone therapy), I would be better off without it. SO I CHOSE NOT TO TAKE IT. Not every doctor would agree with that, but I believe he is right. I am now 53 yrs old, and my bone density is still the same as it was when I had my first mammogram at age 39. I take 1200 mg of Calcium with Vitamin D daily, and also go for a walk 3 to 4 times a week. I still have the occasional hot flash, but I can live with that. Not having my periods anymore is so wonderful! Menopause ROCKS!!!

Comment from: dori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I cry it seems almost always, I for the last 3 years have had what I refer to as “gunk", brown discharge along with bleeding. I can't find any info on it, I now for the last 3 months have had almost constant daily nonstop spotting, to the point I always have to wear a pad. I feel depressed, have suicidal thoughts, I wonder how so many woman before me survived this, my husband although for the most part is patient. I think gets just a frustrated as me. I feel alone, our sex life is almost nonexistent which makes me feel distant from my husband of 29 years, I have tried many things, and the only thing that even remotely helps is menocalm, a natural supplement. I feel like I am losing my identity, I want this to end.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: August 02

I am almost 52 and have all the symptoms of menopause except my periods come every month like clockwork. They have been like that since I was 13, except for pregnancies. I am beginning to think I will never stop. My mom is 72 and takes low-dose hormones and still has a light period. I'm not sure what to make of that. She has no other symptoms and is the healthiest person I know. I am ready for all this to end.

Comment from: Lynn, 45-54 Female Published: August 02

Peri-menopause began in my early 40's when I still had all 4 kids at home. My periods would last 10-14 days and heavy, changing pads and tampons sometimes every hour. Then I would have a week off of them and back again. No Dr. took it seriously, that I felt the bottom was dropping out of my vagina. I didn't want to go on field trips or PTA anything! Now I'm 52 and so very thankful to be menopausal. Hot flashes are temporary and I am sleeping better than when in the peri stage when I was also diagnosed with Graves disease. I thought it was all part of the peri stage until I had palpitations. All good now and my husband is ok with the 20 pound weight gain, even if I hate it and when it cools back off here in AZ, I'll be out walking daily again. Hang in there ladies, we've been through worse!

Comment from: gdb, 55-64 Female Published: August 02

I certainly wish I could say that menopause is a breeze. It's been anything but, for me. Severe hot flashes began at age 51. They begin at my feet and go up to my head. I feel faint with each one. I hear people talking in the distance first, and then the flash begins. I have them every second week. I'm 55 now. It is still the same. I can have 20 or thirty a day for 3-4 days every second week. Then I get severe anxiety for the remainder of the week. I have severe insomnia, chronic diarrhea, very tender, achy muscles. I have tried everything from synthetic hormones, bio-identical hormones, diet change, and have read whatever I can get my hands on. No success. Oh ya, I also tried acupuncture. Nothing helps. I can honestly say, it's been the worse four years of my life.

Comment from: NULL, Published: August 02

I am only 35 and I had to have a hysterectomy due to an illness and now I am feeling as if I have no energy to do anything. I am always crabby and I can't seem to get interested in having sex at all. I pray that I can get some kind of treatment to help me get through this. I am still too young to feel this worn out.

Comment from: Trish19841, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I have hot flashes more at night. It starts in the evening. I hope this doesn't go on too long!

Comment from: cntrygrl55, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I Started menopause at 42. I lost 30 pounds within the last 2 years. When I started losing weight I started menopause all over again, after thinking I was done with it 13 years ago! I had night sweats, hot flashes, anxiety, panic attacks, and insomnia.

Comment from: sex yuck, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 49. I been getting horrible hot flashes for 4-5 years and hate -- I mean hate sex! My husband dose not believe hating sex can be because of menopause.

Comment from: Rachel 5, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am waking up very occasionally with night heat flashes. I have a burning sensation all over and I have increased weight gain.

Comment from: Redspyder, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have no children and started the change at 34! I had one long, heavy flow, major cramp period, then DONE. No spotting at all. I just turned 45 and still have hot flashes all of the time. I am very emotional and I have ZERO energy. I can't sleep and have to use the bathroom 20 times a day. I am single and probably will be forever as I have no interest in sex at all. I also feel like my brain is mush and can't remember anything. Oh gee, can't wait for my "golden years!" I already feel like I'm 90!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 55. I have had enough of these night sweats and not sleeping. This has been going on for about 18 months. My poor husband!

Comment from: had enough, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm 55yrs old and have been having menopause symptoms since I was 45. I started with the heart palpitation in the neck, then the cold chills at night. Now I have the hot flashes on and off all day. They do start at the bottom of my feet and work their way up to my head. I have a new symptom now insomnia. I'm tired at night and go to bed at a reasonable time. I lay there trying to sleep but it doesn't come. My doctor gave me a very low antidepressant to take. I hope this works.

Comment from: Nathansmom, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

Turned 43 in July and had my last period then. I've never had a late period other than when I was pregnant. I do have hot flashes. Some days, they are on and off all day, then nothing for a week or two. I feel bad for my husband, as I have no interest in sex at all.

Comment from: emma, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 02

I'm an active 58 year old, married, work full-time and have had all the menopausal systems you can think of. I've had severe headaches in the middle of the night, night sweats, and joint pain.

Comment from: Miriam, 45-54 Female Published: August 02

As I am approaching menopause, I am experiencing vaginal dryness and skin tears during sexual intercourse.

Comment from: AZIL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My doctor, through blood tests, recently confirmed I am on stage of menopause. Months before that, I started experiencing hot flashes - day and night and sweats. Since then, I developed insomnia and it really affects my daily routine. I was prescribed to take over the counter sleep aid but I only take it every other day so I don't get too dependent on it.

Comment from: M argaret, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 49 and became peri-menopausal systems at 45 when my husband left me. I have severe hot flashes during the day and night. I literally soak the bed sheets. My hair has changed also - it has gone curly from being bone straight, and I have lots of white hair too. I also have muscle aches and lots of joint pain. I have had 2 periods in 18 months. I have had no energy and trouble sleeping also. When I get home from work I often need a nap before making dinner. On weekends I could sleep all day. My pharmacist has suggested Evening of Primrose Oil to help with the hot flashes. I am going to give it a try. But the bright side is NO MORE PERIODS!!!

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

As I approach menopause, I have had hot flashes. I've been tired and had no motivation and I have not had a period in more than a year.

Comment from: susie, 45-54 Female Published: August 02

At 46 my life changed!! I seem to be continually overwhelmed with every little thing. Work was difficult and I took a short term absence because I was suffering from panic attacks. However, staying at home just didn't really help. I've never had anything like this before in my life! Now I am 49 a few days before my period I get night sweets that wake me up. BUT THE WORST symptom at the moment is DIZZINESS...

Comment from: vern, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

Although I only experienced a few hot flashes, I did have extremely heavy periods for about 6 years which finally responded to birth control pill therapy. I quit having periods last March. Yeah! I had 10 months off. Last month I experienced some spotting. This month I'm back to having heavy periods. I cannot find any information about anyone else having this issue.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I also experienced the "warm foot" symptom. It was such a strange experience and I did not attribute it to menopause. It did start right before the hot flashes took over my life. I had a full year of no periods with no symptoms. I have been experiencing frequent hot flashes all day and all night for the past 6 weeks. Suddenly from one day to the next I developed vaginal discomfort and am treating it with the topical estrogen cream. It is very expensive and bothersome to use. I find it a catch 22: It is preventing the atrophy of my sexual organs but I'm too exhausted for sex and my husband has to sleep in the guest room as my fitful sleep keeps him up all night too. How much sex will we be having?! I'm reluctant to take hormone replacement therapy if I can stand the symptoms without it but am not sure I'm ready to give up the sexual side of a great 32 year marriage. I don't want to be "old" at 54 and my husband deserves a normal sex life. Is the risk of HRT worth it???

Comment from: Daffy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm 47 and started getting hot flashes and random periods a year ago. But I've had a funny experience that I have never read about. My husband has to leave the country for several months at a time. When he is home I have regular periods and no hot flashes. Within days of leaving, I return to having menopausal symptoms. There is a clear link here, but I have never read about it. I'm so curious if there is research on a "partner absence/presence" effect.

Comment from: TJ, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I recently started to realize that I'm going through menopause (started about 6 months at age 39/now 40). A co-worker of mine suggested SAGE tea from a natural food store. My cycle would go off and come back after a week. Doctor recommended the pill for 3 months to regulate it. It worked for one month. I tried the Sage tea and it hasn't been back. The hot flash has decreased/has not disappeared but it is not as intense. I still get an unexplainable feeling of... hormones or something moving around in my body. The Sage tea recommends that you drink it daily. I'm not trying to drink that much tea. However, I'm going to try it. The tea is caffeine free. We will see.

Comment from: Maureen, 55-64 Female Published: August 02

Other symptoms I noticed are lack of energy, weight gain, sleepless nights, dry skin, lower sex drive. Oh how I can so relate to a comment sent in by a lady on here. My sex drive is nonexistent, I have a very patient husband and I thank God that he is so, I still have sweats but not as in 'hot flushes' it is in bed only, I wear summer PJ top only and have to have my top half out of the quilt, until I'm stone cold, otherwise I just flare up in this sticky sweat. I'm 57yrs and its non-ending, the weight is the hardest to overcome especially when you've been the opposite all your child-rearing life.

I started going through the "change" when I turned 50. I had night sweats and what I call "heebie-geebies" which is like the feeling you get when you walk on gravel bare-footed and scratch on a chalkboard. Other symptoms I noticed are lack of energy, weight gain, sleepless nights, dry skin, lowered sex drive, and you're on an emotional roller coaster. I've been married 28 years and thank God I have a patient husband. A soy product I found in pill form at Walmart helped for about 6 months. I'm scared of hormone replacement therapy and since I'm in my fifth year all I can do is pray it'll be over soon.

Comment from: iamkings, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I just turned 37 and I think I'm peri-menopausal. My cycles were never regular (months, sometimes years without a cycle) I am finding myself emotional. I've had significant weight loss. I am normally an aggressive person, but I find myself indecisive at times. The emotional rollercoaster is VERY hard. Sometimes the hot flashes are unbearable but on the flipside my libido has dramatically increased, which my husband loves.

Comment from: cmf, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am 50 years old. I just got off of birth control pills about 5 months ago, and I was slammed into menopause, according to my Dr. I have all the normal symptoms but I have joint and some muscle pain. Especially in my hands, but in my shoulders, elbows, neck, knees, ankles, feet, and hips. During the night and in the morning I have stiffness, like arthritis, and I also experience pain in my joints if I sit too long. I've had all sorts of blood tests and everything came out fine, but I feel like I am 70 years old. I'm not alone, I found other women too going through this. I'm scared and confused.

I'm 45, have had a few very late periods in the past year, and all of a sudden I am experiencing a inner warmth in my left foot only. It's like someone has injected my foot with heat. I wonder if this could be the start of hot flashes, and I wonder if anyone else has been going through the same thing.

Comment from: DeDeDoll, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I'm 51 and no menopause yet, but I like learning about it. Thanks for all the info you gave! I'm still having the 'P' every month, but I just want to see and hear what you have to say! For the most part, it seems it will be ok! Thank You!

Comment from: middle age mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have been peri-menopausal for 7 years, starting at age 42. I knew I was there because of the hot flashes and fatigue. I realized that not only was my infant waking me, but I was just awake. My periods became less frequent then more frequent, then less frequent, and sometimes gone for long periods when they would just happen again out of the blue (and in very inappropriate places!) One of the most confusing things for me has been what I would call clear or yellow periods, where there seemed to be no blood, just white or yellow fluids. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment from: YoungandDone, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

36 here, and after a year my doctor admits I am perimenopausal. I tried birth control pills but they made me depressed. Hot flashes are worse in summer because in Seattle, there is no air conditioning. The colder my bedroom, the less I have them. Now, I am experiencing insomnia. I have had a total of 4 hours sleep in 3 days. I was more than tired when I came home from work, however as soon as I got into bed it has been nothing but staring at the ceiling. Now once again it is 2am and I haven't had a lick of sleep. I have extreme headaches due to tension, fatigue and anxiety.

Comment from: babs141, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I am experiencing vaginal dryness plus pain when I am with my husband. Now, I never want sex with him. Menopause is hurting my life, but my skin has gone dry all of a sudden and I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Sweatin' in Texas, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

The symptoms I am experiencing include life-sucking, ear-burning, disgusting, perspiration-laden hot flashes, day and night; heightened emotions -- I've never been an emotional, teary woman, but I feel frequently on the verge of tears; and I've ballooned up 20 pounds in two months. I'm still having occasional periods, and I was told at age 35 that I was premenopausal. I'm now 45; I started my period at age 12. Aren't I too young for menopause? Can it be induced by stress? I've had a very stress-filled year.

Comment from: UofLDebi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

At age 35 I began to have heavy periods. By the time I turned 40 I was bleeding almost every day. My 10-day periods were so heavy that I had to sleep in the bathtub… with two ultra-tampons inserted. I worked two jobs and my evening job would not allow me to take breaks. I had to wear black pants because I was sure to break through and my tops had to cover my bottom. My 40s were a nightmare and I didn't know how I would go on. At age 51 I finally found a doctor who would give me an ablation. Since I did not have children no one wanted to reduce my chance of having kids in the future. (Rolling eyes.) The ablation has given me more regular periods again -- every 15 to 21 days. I'm 52 and ready to turn 53 as I type this. No hot flashes (I think eating low-carb helps with those) and no signs of menopause. I can't wait for this to be over.

• Menopause - Experience

Please describe your experience with menopause.

Post View 4 Comments
  • Menopause - Experience

Please share your experience with perimenopause, menopause, or postmenopause.

Post View 4 Comments
  • Menopause - Symptoms

What symptoms did/do you have with perimenopause, menopause, or postmenopause?

Post View 3 Comments
  • Menopause - Lifestyle Changes

What lifestyle changes have you made during perimenopause, menopause, or postmenopause that have helped ease the symptoms?

Post View 2 Comments
  • Menopause - Hormone Therapy

What hormone therapy combination therapies have you taken during perimenopause, menopause, or post menopause?

Post View 2 Comments

REFERENCE:

Kovacs, P. MD. "Treatment Options for Menopausal Symptoms." Medscape. Updated: Jul 23, 2014.
<https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/828482>