Schizophrenia is a chronic, severe, and disabling mental illness. It affects men and women with equal frequency. Schizophrenia and other mental health disorders have fairly strict criteria for diagnosis. Time of onset as well as length and characteristics of symptoms are all factors. The active symptoms of schizophrenia must be present at least 6 months, or only 1 month if treated.
See the complete A-Z list of all the Mental Health related information or browse the current list of select resources.
Mental Health Related Resources
Mental Health Articles
- What Does Substance Addiction Mean?
- What Causes Cognitive Dissonance?
- How Do I Get Tested for ADHD?
- What Does a Panic Attack Feel Like?
- What Are the Main Symptoms of Autism?
- Is Trypophobia Skin Real?
- What Are the Four Types of Psychology?
- What Are Three Symptoms of Schizophrenia?
- What Is the Difference Between ADD and ADHD in Adults?
- What Does an Anxiety Attack Feel Like?
- What Is A Psychotherapist?
- What Are the Symptoms of a Person with Agoraphobia?
- What Is Agoraphobia the Fear Of?
- Do Narcissists Feel Emotional Pain?
- What Is the Difference Between A Psychopath and A Sociopath?
Mental Health Medications
- asenapine (sublingual) (Saphris, Saphris Black Cherry) (Saphris)
- iloperidone (Fanapt) (Fanapt)
- paliperidone (oral) (Invega) (Invega)
- aripiprazole (oral) (Abilify, Abilify Discmelt) (Abilify, Abilify Discmelt)
- escitalopram (Lexapro) (Lexapro)
- ziprasidone (oral/injection) (Geodon) (Geodon)
- olanzapine (oral) (ZyPREXA, ZyPREXA Zydis) (Zyprexa, Zyprexa Zydis)
- fluvoxamine (Luvox, Luvox CR) (Luvox, Luvox CR)
- risperidone (oral) (Risperdal, Risperdal M-Tab)
- pimozide (Orap) (Orap)
- loxapine (oral) (Loxitane) (Loxitane, Loxitane C)
- trifluoperazine (Stelazine) (Stelazine)
- isocarboxazid (Marplan) (Marplan)
- clomipramine (Anafranil) (Anafranil)
- perphenazine (Trilafon) (Trilafon)
Mental Health Images and Slideshows
- Health and Balance: What’s Causing My Mood Swings?
- Alcohol Abuse: 12 Health Risks of Chronic Heavy Drinking
- Mental Health: Where to Get Mental Health Help
- Coronavirus: How the Pandemic Is Affecting Our Bodies
- Brain and Nervous System: Conditions That Can Cause Hallucinations
- Anxiety & Panic Disorders: Physical Symptoms of Anxiety
- Mental Health: Signs You're Mentally Exhausted
- Teen Drug Abuse: Warning Signs, Statistics, and Facts
- Mental Health: Substance Abuse in Older Adults
- Mental Health: Marijuana Addiction and Abuse
- Pain Management: One-Move Fixes for Pain and Stress
- Anxiety & Panic Disorders: Risk Factors for Anxiety
- Mental Health: Celebrities Who Are Open About Addiction
- Dementia and Alzheimer's: Is It Aging or Alzheimer's?
- Health and Balance: Signs You're Burned Out
Mental Health Quizzes
- Schizophrenia Quiz: What is Schizophrenia?
- Grief, Bereavement, and Mourning Quiz: Test Your Understanding
- Moods Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
- PTSD Quiz: Test your IQ of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Stress Quiz: Test Your Emotional IQ
- Panic Attacks (Panic Disorder) Quiz: Test Your Mental Health IQ
- Adult ADHD Quiz: Symptoms & Test
Mental Health News
- Stress May Turn Hair Gray, But Calm May Reverse It
- Placenta's Role in Schizophrenia 'Bigger Than We Imagined'
- National Spike in Methamphetamine Overdose Deaths
- As COVID Numbers Rise, So Does 'Psychic Numbing'
- Can Eating Disorders Be Predicted?
- From Cradle to Grave, Alcohol Is Bad for the Brain
- Anorexia May Stunt Young Women's Growth
- CBD as Treatment for Cannabis Use Disorder?
- 'Worldwide Prevalence' of OCD Higher in Women vs. Men
- Routine Anxiety Screening Recommended for Women
- Panic, Abuse, Addiction: The COVID-19 Mental Health Crisis
- Smoking May Raise Psychosis, Depression Risk
- Medical Cannabis for Mental Disorders 'Hard to Justify'
- More Naloxone Being Dispensed, but Not Nearly Enough, CDC Says
- Giving Up Alcohol Boosts Mental Health in Women