Mercury Poisoning

Question:

What symptoms prompted you to seek medical care for your mercury poisoning? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: K. Lamb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Today's date is June 27, 2018. In 2010 I was the third employee for a biotech company that had moved from New Jersey to San Diego. While unpacking boxes an old large 24 inch thermometer broke in my storage room which was a walk-in freezer that was turned off with no air ventilation. I cleaned the mercury up as best I could and swept the rest under my other boxes. Right away I had every symptom of mercury toxicity without knowing it. Eventually being tested for mercury exposure on July 1, 2016 confirmed what had been causing me to be so ill. At this time, I just want to see if I can find a doctor who can actually help me without trying to promote a product. My next option is Whipple surgery; that is just for the abdominal, feces, GERD, Barrett's esophagus, Lemmel's syndrome, periampullary duodenal diverticulum, gastroparesis, etc. My first 4 years were trying to get help for the peripheral and trigeminal neuralgia, migraines, headaches, etc. I am also working on therapy for severe degenerative disc disease of my back along with fractures, tears and hernias along with carpal tunnel surgery that did not work on my hands, night time sweats, insomnia, face rashes, sweets disease, MRSA sores on my head and neck and with all of these medical issues, for not one doctor to say, 'hey, this is being caused from mercury poisoning!' I just need one doctor to actually say that I am not a malingerer and that I have not been a hypochondriac. But, not one doctor in San Diego has the drive to investigate elemental mercury toxicity poisoning and that is why I am leaving my comment.

Comment from: Celestine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I have had exposure to vaporized mercury from an unfiltered crematorium for a period of three years. The doctor refused to test me for anything. I am experiencing kidney failure, and I went to my nephrologist for kidney test which showed my GFR dropped from 60 to 49 in 4 months. I had severe insomnia, burning/stinging in mouth, and metallic taste in mouth. All body secretions smell the same, like what I inhaled, including sweat. Horrible, tongue coated in yellow personally, and on my animals also. No tests confirmed anything at this writing except for kidney failure.

Comment from: Maggie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

My symptoms of mercury poisoning included 10 years of a feeling on my skin of biting, stinging and itching all over my body, which was so bad at night I couldn't ever sleep. I would also wake up covered in small red and purple dots or spots on my skin, so I'd assumed I'd been bitten in the night by a small insect. I spent years washing excessively, my bedclothes, soft furnishing, clothes, thinking that it was something in my environment causing the itching like mites or some sort of insect. However, I changed my diet to an alkaline diet, drank lots of sodium bicarbonate to alkalize my system and I had my mercury fillings taken out and replaced with a white resin substitute (which was expensive). The symptoms have now disappeared by 99 percent. It is only very slight now. After much research I discovered that mercury toxicity can cause 'formication' which is a feeling of itching, biting, stinging. etc., on the skin with small red or purple spots on the skin. My general physician misdiagnosed me with delusional parasitosis and for years I suffered with the symptoms before I discovered it may be mercury poisoning, as I'd had 10 mercury fillings in my mouth. I have since got rid of the symptoms, and I put this down to having my fillings out.

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My dentist was drilling down a mercury amalgam filling to make room for a partial denture to be fitted, as the space was too tight. My mouth was full of the mercury filling that mixed with my saliva. I had no choice at the time but to swallow most of it although I spat out the liquid mercury onto a tissue as well. A day or so later I began to suffer from blurred vision, muscle pains and weakness, as well as exhaustion.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had three to four cans of light tuna for a period of four months. Followed by seven to eight cans of white albacore tuna per week for another five months. I thought it was healthy. My health rapidly deteriorated. Bleeding from my kidneys, tinnitus, partial numbness in both hands and feet, fainting, dizziness, hand tremors, heart problems, patches of body hair missing from my legs, severe fatigue, easy bruising, difficulty thinking clearly, fits of unexplained anger, and insomnia. Tinnitus and fatigue were the first symptoms I noticed. I still have tinnitus and numbness in my extremities. There should be warning labels on canned tuna. I've begun researching and writing about it.

Comment from: Manuel, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 24

Besides the fact that I was born 6 months pre-mature and experienced injections of various unknown substances, later in my adolescent years I had dentist visits for tooth fillings. Just recently I found an article mentioning a 4 year old suffering from mercury poisoning in his molar fillings. This page among other medical pages has led me to believe I am constantly being poisoned with mercury due to amalgam silver/mercury fillings in my mouth. I am not positive whether my lack of concentration and memory loss have been caused by this but I will not take any more chances. I suggest anyone who has these filling to immediately take them out. White filling substitutions as described in this article as in others (mercury free) are the safest dental fillings.

Comment from: thethrash, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I am in my 10th year of debilitating symptoms from mercury amalgam dental fillings. I can't understand why this is not mentioned in the above article! There are no doctors qualified to deal with this and no reliable tests to confirm the presence of mercury, conclusively, either. If you have silver/mercury fillings, get them removed by qualified personnel as soon as possible! Then detox!

Comment from: Gmannie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My granddaughter's husband grew up in Picher, Oklahoma. The mining in that town resulted in the government evacuation of the town and buying the citizen's property. No one is allowed to live there. He is now the father of a two year old boy. The child is having seizures and neurological problems. I wonder if the father was exposed to methyl mercury, and if damage done to the father can be passed to a child they may sire years later.

Comment from: Randy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I began a no carb diet. I ate chunk white tuna (Costco) every day for lunch. I noticed memory impairment. This started approximately 6 months after the diet began. I went to a neurologist and did a heavy metals panel blood test. On a scale of 1 to 10, I had a 16 blood mercury level. I am wondering if my memory impairment is a result of mercury poisoning.

Comment from: Saul Goodman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I ate 75 cans of chunky tuna over 75 days as part of my diet. At first I felt great! But by the time I reached my last few days I started to lose control and it was not cool. Then I went to the doctor and asked for a document on what to do. Now it is all good, man.

Comment from: peg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I have mercury fillings that need to be removed.

Patient Comments & Reviews

Medically reviewed by John A. Daller, MD; American Board of Surgery with subspecialty certification in surgical critical care

REFERENCES:

United States Environmental Protection Agency; "Mercury."

Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry; "ToxFAQs.™"

National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health; "Mercury."

MedlinePlus; "Mercury."

MedicineNet.com; "Mercury Poisoning."

United States Environmental Protection Agency; "What Never to Do with a Mercury Spill."

eMedicine.com; "Toxicity, Mercury: Multimedia."

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors