Viewer Comments: Mercury Poisoning - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Mercury Poisoning:

Mercury Poisoning - Patient Experience

What symptoms prompted you to seek medical care for your mercury poisoning? Please describe your experience.

Comment from: Celestine, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I have had exposure to vaporized mercury from an unfiltered crematorium for a period of three years. The doctor refused to test me for anything. I am experiencing kidney failure, and I went to my nephrologist for kidney test which showed my GFR dropped from 60 to 49 in 4 months. I had severe insomnia, burning/stinging in mouth, and metallic taste in mouth. All body secretions smell the same, like what I inhaled, including sweat. Horrible, tongue coated in yellow personally, and on my animals also. No tests confirmed anything at this writing except for kidney failure.

Comment from: Maggie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

My symptoms of mercury poisoning included 10 years of a feeling on my skin of biting, stinging and itching all over my body, which was so bad at night I couldn't ever sleep. I would also wake up covered in small red and purple dots or spots on my skin, so I'd assumed I'd been bitten in the night by a small insect. I spent years washing excessively, my bedclothes, soft furnishing, clothes, thinking that it was something in my environment causing the itching like mites or some sort of insect. However, I changed my diet to an alkaline diet, drank lots of sodium bicarbonate to alkalize my system and I had my mercury fillings taken out and replaced with a white resin substitute (which was expensive). The symptoms have now disappeared by 99 percent. It is only very slight now. After much research I discovered that mercury toxicity can cause 'formication' which is a feeling of itching, biting, stinging. etc., on the skin with small red or purple spots on the skin. My general physician misdiagnosed me with delusional parasitosis and for years I suffered with the symptoms before I discovered it may be mercury poisoning, as I'd had 10 mercury fillings in my mouth. I have since got rid of the symptoms, and I put this down to having my fillings out.

Comment from: Susanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My dentist was drilling down a mercury amalgam filling to make room for a partial denture to be fitted, as the space was too tight. My mouth was full of the mercury filling that mixed with my saliva. I had no choice at the time but to swallow most of it although I spat out the liquid mercury onto a tissue as well. A day or so later I began to suffer from blurred vision, muscle pains and weakness, as well as exhaustion.

Comment from: Robert, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 23

I had three to four cans of light tuna for a period of four months. Followed by seven to eight cans of white albacore tuna per week for another five months. I thought it was healthy. My health rapidly deteriorated. Bleeding from my kidneys, tinnitus, partial numbness in both hands and feet, fainting, dizziness, hand tremors, heart problems, patches of body hair missing from my legs, severe fatigue, easy bruising, difficulty thinking clearly, fits of unexplained anger, and insomnia. Tinnitus and fatigue were the first symptoms I noticed. I still have tinnitus and numbness in my extremities. There should be warning labels on canned tuna. I've begun researching and writing about it.

Comment from: Randy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 08

I began a no carb diet. I ate chunk white tuna (Costco) every day for lunch. I noticed memory impairment. This started approximately 6 months after the diet began. I went to a neurologist and did a heavy metals panel blood test. On a scale of 1 to 10, I had a 16 blood mercury level. I am wondering if my memory impairment is a result of mercury poisoning.

Comment from: Gmannie, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

My granddaughter's husband grew up in Picher, Oklahoma. The mining in that town resulted in the government evacuation of the town and buying the citizen's property. No one is allowed to live there. He is now the father of a two year old boy. The child is having seizures and neurological problems. I wonder if the father was exposed to methyl mercury, and if damage done to the father can be passed to a child they may sire years later.

Comment from: Saul Goodman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I ate 75 cans of chunky tuna over 75 days as part of my diet. At first I felt great! But by the time I reached my last few days I started to lose control and it was not cool. Then I went to the doctor and asked for a document on what to do. Now it is all good, man.

Must Read Articles Related to Mercury Poisoning

Activated Charcoal
Activated Charcoal Activated charcoal is a substance used when a person has ingested a poison (drugs or chemicals). learn more >>
Battery Ingestion
Battery Ingestion Battery ingestion commonly occurs in children five years of age and younger, and in the elderly. Symptoms of battery ingestion include vomiting, gagging, abdomi...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)