Painful Ovulation (Mittelschmerz) Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments

What home remedies have you found helpful in treating your painful ovulation? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Lissa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have suffered though painful ovulation since I was 14. I am now 45. The only relief was pregnancy or birth control to stop ovulation. Some months are worse than others. Ibuprofen takes the edge off but nothing takes the pain away, which can bring me to tears at times. I do deep breathing like I’m in labor. Pain is severe usually for two or three hours, then moderate for 24 hours, switching sides every month.

Comment from: Mum , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I tried Tylenol for painful ovulation before reading this article. Then I took ibuprofen which seems to help more. The pain feels like cramps but only on one side of the lower abdomen.

Comment from: mary, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 30

I mostly take enough rest and lie on my abdomen for some time then the pain from ovulation will subside in a while. I don’t usually take medicines but my pain is severe.

Comment from: Alice , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I have been in discomfort for six years which started suddenly. Not until I read this article did I know it was a painful ovulation, yet I have been in this discomfort. I just know I do have severe pain two weeks to my period on daily basis, and I'm really sick and tired of it because I think it is stopping me from conceiving.

SLIDESHOW