Infectious Mononucleosis

For infectious mononucleosis (mono), what were the symptoms and signs you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Kelly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was in the emergency room with low grade fever 99.3-99.8, extremely tired, with body aches. Blood test come back positive with mononucleosis. I lost appetite, did not want to eat, and had rib and shoulder pain. It took more than 2 weeks to get a little better. I was back to normal in about 1 week and now the low fever and tiredness just come back even though it is almost 2 months. I don’t know how long to get rid of it, so tired of having it off and on.

Comment from: User1818, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

I ended up in the emergency room about 2 months ago because I was feeling weak, had chills, body aches, and a low-grade fever 98.6-99.3 F. They did blood tests and said I have mononucleosis with elevated bilirubin level. It’s been over 2 months now and the fatigue, chills, and body aches are a lot less, but the low-grade fever has not changed for the better. Every day in the afternoon it starts at 98.6 and goes up to 99.3 by night. This happens every day. Wonder if anyone has experienced anything like this.

Comment from: Sooz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I’ve had mononucleosis for 2 weeks now, and at age 40. I went to Urgent Care with a raging sore throat, the worst headache across my forehead, and body aches that felt different from flu. For me there has been a cycle of symptoms that seem to change as you progress through it. Malaise, weak legs (I feel like I’m going to fall with every step), brain fog, arm tremors, sweating with no fever, abdominal pain (I don’t want to eat anything), and rib pain. I was concerned as the symptoms mimicked multiple sclerosis.

Comment from: lex, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 27

I recently had mononucleosis run its course: fever, extreme fatigue, inflamed tonsils with white spots, so big and painful that I could barely swallow, and one night I couldn’t sleep because of the discomfort. One aspect that I’ve seen other people mention is the brain fog associated with monoband I can say I felt that considerably, even long before other symptoms. I felt something was off, I was unable to concentrate, I got tired easily or just felt like doing very easy, meaningless activities.

Comment from: that girl , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I had mononucleosis at 16. No symptoms in my throat, just my abdomen; swollen nodes, extremely enlarged spleen, and swollen liver. I had an awful rash and random bruising all over my body, body aches and constant fever. I couldn’t eat without feeling super sick. Took 3 months to get rid of it.

Comment from: VF, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I am a 30 year old female. I had severe fatigue, a sore throat, headaches, blurry vision, joint pain, abdominal pain, loose stools, and enlarged lymph nodes in my neck for a month. Suddenly I had now severe, sharp left abdominal pain, shooting into my shoulders. I went to the emergency room immediately and a CT showed my spleen had ruptured and blood work was positive for mononucleosis. I had a splenectomy. Now recovering, I still feel crummy after my surgery with fatigue, no stamina, and sore throat too.

Comment from: Clegens, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I started running a low-grade fever on Thanksgiving night. After a flu and strep test were negative, they tested for mononucleosis and it was positive. Before that, I had an episode in my kickboxing class where I almost fainted, had severe dizziness, and vomiting later. The sore throat, sores, and swollen lymph nodes didn't last long but this fatigue is almost debilitating some days. I'll have weeks where I feel great and then I'll crash. I'm in the middle of a crash right now for the past 6 days.

Comment from: J, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I started out feeling fatigued to the bone. Any time I'd exert myself mildly I'd feel achy and flu-ish. I went to the doctor, they were clueless, and blood tests normal. Nine months later and a second opinion, the results were that I had a recent past result for mononucleosis. I went to acupuncture for 4 months taking herbs they prescribed and it helped about 60 percent. I could exercise again. I still feel tired and flu-ish some days 1 year later. Started ashwagandha and might read Medical Medium. Grasping straws.

Comment from: JennyM, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

My mononucleosis symptoms were nightly chills, severe night sweats, muscle and joint pain, extreme fatigue, all for 3 weeks. I had elevated liver enzymes, elevated ESR/CRP, enlarged spleen. Fast forward 2 weeks, I have been drinking tons of water and I feel like a million bucks most days but randomly have joint pain. Just got a lymphatic massage to clear out the toxins, hopefully my poor spleen recovers soon.

QUESTION

Bowel regularity means a bowel movement every day. See Answer
Comment from: Goldengirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I had swollen lymph nodes, extreme fatigue and muscle aches last March. I thought it was just a bug so I got checked out at urgent care, and they sent me home saying it was a viral infection. Three weeks later I was still having the same issues so I went to a different urgent care. They did a quick mononucleosis test and it came back negative, so then they did some blood cultures and found EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) in my bloodstream. They sent me home telling me to just drink fluids and rest. It still hasn’t gotten any better and it’s been a year.

Comment from: Tristan, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

With mononucleosis I randomly started to get extreme body aches in my legs, lower back, and buttocks. Then a couple hours later I got the chills so bad that I would start sweating and overheating, then switch to freezing. I would start to shake so bad I couldn’t move. I finally checked my temperature and I was running 104 F. I took ibuprofen and it went down to about 101 F, then shot right back up to 104 F. I tried to sleep it off but I got so nauseous I started throwing up and I lost all ability to eat or drink.

Comment from: ChristinaAlexandra , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

Currently I have mononucleosis. I’m 19, female and in excruciating pain. It started with intense migraines that kept me in bed, then it progressed to sore muscles and joint pain, and then onto swollen tonsils and lymph nodes so big that I wake up gasping for air in the middle of the night. The area around my eyes has gone yellow, I’m beginning to bruise from just being poked. I have ear spacers that have never been infected but they are now. I know I have strep alongside this. I need strength, I have unbearable pain.

Comment from: Award9273, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 26

At first, I thought I had the flu. By week two I went to see my doctor. He guessed it was diverticulitis and gave me two strong antibiotics. My symptoms were burning abdomen, off and on fever, weakness, no appetite, to name a few. At the same time, I went in for lab tests. Five days later he called saying I had mononucleosis and that my lab test results showed it was already in my system, but I never knew it. It's now 5 weeks later (8 weeks total so far) and I'm still having symptoms. They're milder but still annoying.

Comment from: Award9273, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I am a 37 year old male, and had flu like symptoms for 2 weeks; diarrhea and fever. I went to the doctor and he assumed mononucleosis. After lab tests, found he was right. Five weeks later I am still dealing with on and off abdominal burning sensation, and my face gets flushed. This comes and goes every few days. Not as bad as my earlier symptoms, but it is annoying and gives me anxiety. Can’t wait for this to end. Drinking as much fluids as I can and forced to stay active for work and my family.

Comment from: Laurie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis almost 3 weeks ago. A couple weeks before that I was feeling exhausted, had extreme knee pain, then the sore throat and swollen glands came, chills, and night sweats. I started to feel a little better one day then to be knocked right back down. Not sure how long I will be out of commission. I also have very sore shoulders and tingling arms. No fun at all!

Comment from: sadmonogirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am 19 and have always considered myself very healthy, until I got a severe sore throat which I never get. The pain started on one side of my mouth and made it impossible to chew. I gradually became severely tired and fatigued, and I could barely lift anything. I was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis) after 4 trips to urgent care and given antibiotics for my white, swollen tonsils. Month later thought I was recovering well, but the pain is coming back on the other side of my mouth, along with exhaustion and mouth ulcers.

Comment from: Tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am 49. I was diagnosed with mononucleosis mid-October 2019. It’s now the end of November. I experience extreme pain in my arms, hands, legs, and hips. I have swelling in my hands, feet, and ankles. I wonder how long this continues. I have never been set back like this. Thank you.

Comment from: Laurie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I am a 55 year old fit woman, recently diagnosed with mononucleosis. It started with extreme fatigue, then sore throat and swollen painful glands, chills and sweats. I was starting to feel a little better, then got hit again. Week 3 and I feel like death. I can't nap and average 7 hours of sleep, but can't sleep longer.

SLIDESHOW

Bacterial Infections 101: Types, Symptoms, and Treatments See Slideshow
Comment from: Bob, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 12

I started having abdominal and chest pain, some pain when breathing, shakes, tiredness, and general overall feeling of not being well. We did blood work and it came back normal so I asked for a mononucleosis test in which my IgG test came back positive. Since then I’ve had more muscle pains, aches, spasms, swollen armpits and neck, and one evening of night sweats. I can’t sleep during the day so recovery has been hard. I felt normal for a week and I went back to having symptoms. It’s been 4 weeks since my first symptoms.

Comment from: Slippy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

My mononucleosis symptoms were very scary. I went to the hospital 3 times and urgent care once. I had CT scan and all bloodwork came out ok. Doctors kept saying I was fine, until Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) came back positive and some other immunity tests. A lot of the symptoms were in my head, so felt like I was going crazy at times. Unexplained anxiety, restless legs, feelings of being in drug withdrawal or that I was being poisoned. I got my diagnosis so late, it was probably a year where I kept exercising and having flare ups.

Comment from: Suku, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I’m a 30 year old male. I have been having this low grade night fever, neck pain, muscle pain, and pain underneath the rib cages on both sides. I lost 20 pounds, had chest pain one time, nosebleed and fatigue, and always ill for 2 months now. Doctors did a bunch of tests and only one test came back as positive confirming I have past Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection and that is causing all these symptoms of mononucleosis. No medicine, waiting on to go its own. This phase of my life is so miserable... even my enemies shouldn’t get this.

Comment from: Dani, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I was diagnosed as having mononucleosis/Epstein-Barr virus and I struggled for the first 5 months with severe fatigue. I had muscle aches, swollen reactive lymph nodes, joint pain and inflammation. I sought out a specialist who worked with homeopathic medicine to support healing and it took 2 years to come back to 90 percent. I occasionally have flare ups as the immune system is constantly working. And it is linked to chronic fatigue, brain fog, can develop into other auto-immune disorders if you get sick again.

Comment from: JediJulz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a 23 year old female university student, otherwise healthy. My mononucleosis started with intense fatigue where I could barely get out of bed, then a horrible migraine which lasted 10 days, and fevers every day for 8 days. I went to the hospital when I became so bloated that I could not eat or drink. My spleen and liver were found to be enlarged, and they found EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) in my blood tests and diagnosed me with mono. My throat and tonsils are in so much pain that I cannot eat. Swallowing hurts. I need painkiller.

Comment from: Meggin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I’m 45 years old and have been very active until 2 or 3 months or so ago. I went to the doctor and had bloodwork done and was diagnosed with mononucleosis. My main symptoms are extreme fatigue, burning in my chest and intermittent fevers. I think I’ve improved a little but I thought I’d feel better by now. I’ve had other tests done but everything comes back as normal... so disappointed this is still my life.

Comment from: Steph, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I first started to notice something off almost 3 years ago when I went for a hike and could barely make it 5 minutes without stopping to catch my breath. Over the next few weeks on top of the fatigue I experienced nausea, swollen lymph nodes and sharp pain in my abdomen. I was convinced I was pregnant but after going to the doctor I found it was all due to mononucleosis. I still experience symptoms to this day, especially swollen lymph nodes in my neck and I need consistently about 10 hours of sleep.

Comment from: Fedup, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 03

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis in October 2018 and still have it with lab results off the chart, 500 plus. It has become worse instead of getting better. I stay in constant pain with muscle aches and stay pretty much bed ridden. I'm 60 years old and I never ever remember having mono in my youth. I'm so exhausted with this horrible ailment which has ruined my life. I wonder how others who are going through cope. I appreciate all the support that I can get.

Comment from: Shay, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

The mononucleosis itself wasn't bad. I didn't even know I had it. What was terrible was the post-mono fatigue. That's actually when I went to the doctor. It's your body’s healing phase after the mono. Mine lasted for six weeks and was like I wasn't even in my body. What follows is, for the next few times you get sick, the fatigue resurfaces, often called, a mini mono. The best thing to do is build your immune system and eat well. Your immune system stays weak for a long time after.

Comment from: Sb94, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 01

My symptoms of mononucleosis started 6/15 after taking proton pump inhibitors (lowered my immunity, perhaps) for chest aches. However symptoms progressed leading to flares of numbness and tingling in my hands and jaw. I had extreme fatigue, felt like I was running a marathon even when I had slept all day. I have never had fever nor enlarged lymph nodes, but the symptoms evolved into severe joint pain, dry throat, difficulty in opening my hands and walking, muscle weakness and spasms. I was positive for CMV (cytomegalovirus) and EBV (Epstein-Barr virus), resulting in mono. Still fighting as of 9/25.

Comment from: Hannah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm 19 and I was diagnosed with mononucleosis about 2 weeks after symptoms occurred. I had the most unbearable throat pain I’ve ever experienced, pain where my liver and spleen were, fever, headache, and extremely swollen lymph nodes. It hurts to eat even soft foods and I get dizzy trying to do normal tasks. I have taken a week off from school and I feel so far behind, but if you don't take the time to rest you will feel worse for a longer period of time. I wouldn't wish this sickness on anyone.

Comment from: Wannasav3th3b33s, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I'm a 19-year-old female. I started experiencing symptoms about a month or so before I was diagnosed with mononucleosis. I woke up one morning with a sore throat and red rashes on my body. My sore throat got progressively worse, to the point I couldn't speak, swallow, or even exist without pain but it got better. My lymph nodes swelled to the size of rocks. I needed to sleep at least three times a day. I was not hungry. I was bed ridden for three weeks. Two months later I still feel extremely fatigued.

Comment from: FallenAngel1227, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I first came into contact with mononucleosis when I was in 3rd grade. It returned when I was a freshman in high school. That’s when I was diagnosed with EBV. It’s been returning every year or every other year depending on my stress levels or if I become sick with another illness. I’ve been managing it by getting lots of sleep, having a certain diet and keeping my stress levels to a minimum. My symptoms are sore throat, fatigue, nausea, painful spleen, swollen lymph nodes in my neck and armpits, and fever.

Comment from: Josh, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis in September 2018 after having a throat infection and body aches that wouldn't go away. I was really sick for a few weeks then got better but after getting the flu on January 1st I had a pretty terrible reoccurrence. I've been pretty sick for about 9 months now with body aches, joint pain (knees, elbows, hands, and neck), back pain, chest pain and shortness of breath, tingling, random sharp pains, fatigue, heart palpitations and random muscle spasms throughout my body.

Comment from: Samcat, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I have been getting mononucleosis at the same time every year for the past 3 years. I have read that once you get it, it’s rare to get it a second time so I’m wondering why I keep getting it June of every year! I get extremely tired, with sore throat and swollen lymph nodes, and feel very nauseous for weeks.

Comment from: Sage, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I currently am suffering from mononucleosis at age 19. It started a few weeks ago when I noticed swollen lymph nodes and random aches in my jaw and neck. Then a couple weeks ago I came down with extreme fatigue and nightly fevers, which was when I finally got tested and diagnosed with mono after testing negative for strep. I never got the classic sign of a sore throat, but now after starting to feel better with no fevers and slowly regaining energy, I have a severe sore throat on one side, and ear pain.

Comment from: Made me feel nuts! , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am a 27 year old female. For months I have felt crazy, it’s been 2.5 months since this mononucleosis started. My legs and arms weren’t functioning. I had random days that I'd run a fever and vomit. I had weird vision problems where I would see mountain shapes dancing in front of my eyes, my abdomen hurt, my jaw wouldn't open wide, and my nose was constantly running; the worst part! My hands swelled every single morning, to the point that I could barely get dressed. I had so many tests done, and finally my massage therapist figured it out!

Comment from: Perry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I am a 54 year old female. I first had mononucleosis at 19. I currently have an incredibly stressful job. Headaches started last week every day, then I was feeling extreme fatigue and muscle aches, and thought I may be dehydrated. I got a blood test. I was extremely anemic. I am just diagnosed with mono. Sweating, low grade fever, burning watery eyes, back pain, lower leg and foot pain, and extreme fatigue are my symptoms. I’m certain it’s from stress.

Comment from: DD56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

I had stage 2, type B Hodgkin’s lymphoma in 2017. I was recently diagnosed with mononucleosis. It started out with sore throat, earache, extreme fatigue, night sweats and cough. Scared me to death at first as those are also symptoms of lymphoma. I actually went to my doctor after 10 days and asked him to check me for mono as I know the EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) is associated with lymphomas. I am now in week three. Some days are okay, others I feel like death. He told me it could take months. Rest, lots of water, and patience.

Comment from: Isa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I am 20 years old and was diagnosed with mononucleosis in February of 2019. By the time I was diagnosed I had already experienced the worst part of mono and was surprisingly unaware I even had it. My symptoms included extreme exhaustion even after sleeping 13 to 14 hours a night, sore neck and overall body ache, puffy swollen red eyes, brain fogginess, constant confusion and just not feeling like myself, as well as depression. I confused these symptoms for exhaustion due to being a full time worker and student.

Comment from: Makenna, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I was feeling extremely tired for about 3 weeks after coming back from a trip, from Mexico. I thought it was just from the traveling until I went to the emergency room because I was feeling exhausted and on the verge of passing out; it was mononucleosis. It’s been two months since I was diagnosed and I’ve had good days and very bad days where I can’t get out of bed. I’ve also been experiencing chest pains, weakness on the left side of my body, and blurry vision. I’ve never been more frustrated in my life.

Comment from: Connor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 21

I have mononucleosis right now. Symptoms presented themselves in this order: neck pain, headache, shivers/sweats, loss of appetite, muscle aches, dizziness, fatigue, and sore throat. Sore throat came last, and was not a typical sore throat for me, it was a little different as it was also swollen. I personally had trouble sleeping due to the fever, although ibuprofen seemed to be the only drug that worked to keep the fever away.

Comment from: Thugnificentz1, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I caught infectious mononucleosis from my own type 1 cold sore. I touched it and it bled. My very first symptoms were inflammation along vermilion border and balanitis. Then I started getting a whole body rash. Three years later it became invasive. I developed extreme flu like symptoms. I woke up with a migraine and had developed gastritis as well as a burning sore throat and inflammation of my stomach and sides. Symptoms vary, but it is mostly reoccurring inflammation, sore back, arthritis, vasculitis, and fatigue.

Comment from: TooDamnTired, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

A few months ago I started feeling really tired. Then I couldn’t get out of bed for 2 weeks. The next week I was seemingly fine even working out at boot camp 5 straight days, however I found it hard to catch my breath through the intense cardio. Then I was down again for another week. This week I tested positive for Epstein-Barr virus and have acute infectious mononucleosis. I’m too tired to do anything. Doctor said it could be months, even a year before I get better. Drinking fluids and resting hoping for a miracle.

Comment from: Rebecca , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

This is my third time having mononucleosis and is by far the worst. First time I was 22. Second time was 2 years ago. Now I’m 38. This bout started with strep and gastritis. The antibiotic for strep made me worse. But the biggest symptom I have this time is liver swelling and my mesenteric (stomach) lymph nodes are the ones that have swelled and hurt. Extremely painful. But it’s all only on my right side. Not on my left at all. Wonder if anyone else has had the mesenteric lymph nodes swell. It’s been 5 weeks.

Comment from: SG, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 23

I am a 32 year old mother of 5. I presented about 5 days ago with neck pain on the left side only, kind of like I had a sore muscle there. Also, I felt tired more than usual but chalked it up to the enormous stress I had been under previously. Brain fog was another mononucleosis symptom as well as white patches on my swollen tonsils. My throat was not sore, so I just thought maybe it was an allergy. But then I noticed nausea. I went to my doctor and had blood work done. I tested positive for the Epstein-Barr/mono virus.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I am 44 years old. I had mononucleosis when I was young and didn’t know it. Seven years ago, EBV (Epstein–Barr virus) was reactivated. I thought I had multiple sclerosis. I had extreme fatigue, numbness, tingling, hands fall asleep at night, rib cage pain, muscle pain, sensitivity to light, nerve symptoms (feeling like a bandage was stuck on my foot or spiders crawling on my head), and tension headaches. I had MRIs, spinal taps, and nerve conduction tests. Every test came back normal. It took 1 year to feel more normal with fleeting symptoms.

Comment from: Whitney , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis at age 45. I started out with a stiff neck. Each day got worse - flulike symptoms with body aches, headache, fatigue, fever and dehydration. My stomach was distended and so swollen that it was painful to walk. The medical center sent me to the emergency room thinking I had meningitis. I was finally diagnosed with mono. I became septic in the hospital, and ended up with too many fluids, causing my tissues and lungs to be saturated and me getting pneumonia. I was also diagnosed with hepatitis. I was put on oxygen for 11 days, and took almost a year to recover fully.

Comment from: thisbewhitney, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

My symptom of infectious mononucleosis was sore throat off and on, not horrible but noticeable. I didn't feel any more tired as usual, and my appetite was fine. I did feel light-headed here and there. For overall feeling, I didn't feel bad, just not great.

Comment from: bryceguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

After diagnosis of infectious mononucleosis three months ago, I had no sore throat, no enlarged spleen, no cough, no swollen lymph nodes, and no skin rashes. I did have fatigue and malaise which disappeared after a month, but I started getting chest pains at that point. I'm still having chest pains in the upper left area and I don't know why. They are intermittent, there some days and not others. It is level 2 or 3, sometimes a 4 on a 1 to 10 pain scale. EKG and chest x-rays show all is okay but the pain persists.

Comment from: bryceguy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 25

I'm 46, male, in good health, non-smoker, and got mononucleosis two months ago. I had no sore throat, no cough, no swollen lymph nodes or spleen. Plenty of malaise and fatigue the first month but that started to subside this second month. Main complaint now is a dull upper left chest pain, about 2 or 3 inches left of the sternum. Sometimes it lasts for days, then a day off with no pain, then pain again. It's too far left to be the heart so I'm not sure what it is. The pain doesn't get worse with inhaling.

Comment from: Bo-n-Arro, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I tested positive for mononucleosis over 3 months ago after experiencing extreme fatigue for several weeks and pain at the base of my head. Apparently there are lymph nodes there. I have had it approximately 4 months now, and it has only got slightly better. I also had the flu and bacterial vaginosis while sick with mono. I have no idea where I contracted it. The doctors are perplexed why it has lasted so long. They also have said once it's gone, I won't have it again. But the comments on this website contradict that.

Comment from: AcheyBreaky, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I am a 34 year old healthy and active female. I am married with a 17 month old. My symptoms of mononucleosis started with exhaustion, then shooting pain in my armpits, and swelling. Then I got pain behind my knees, then hips, elbows, neck, etc. My doctor did bloodwork for EBV (Epstein–Barr virus) and it came up as having a past infection and a current infection or recurrent. I had no idea I had ever had it before, let alone that you could get it again! There has to be a reason for it rearing its ugly head again. Look up Lauricidin, it has helped.

Comment from: KEL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I had severe sore throat, white spots on throat, and hacking cough. I was negative for strep. Urgent care gave me Z-Pak. It did nothing. Then I found an APN (advanced practice nurse) and she gave me prednisone and amoxicillin. It did nothing. I finally told her to be a detective and test me for everything including Lyme. I passed on getting my throat scoped till bloodwork came back. I had mononucleosis in the acute phase. For me the worst part is headaches and joint pain. I wound up in the emergency room twice because I couldn't walk.

Comment from: bryceguy72, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I am a 46 year old male in good health. I got diagnosed with mononucleosis on April 10. No sore throat, no cough, no stomach pain, and no enlarged spleen. I had the classic fatigue but far worse was the malaise. Just an overall feeling of sickness that wouldn't go away even with Tylenol or Advil. Then I got chest pain in the upper left side that would come and go. A month and a half later I felt healthy and went jogging. Big mistake. For a week after that, I felt horrible malaise with chest pain.

Comment from: Trixy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I went to the doctor in December with unexplained rashes on my hands, stiffness in my joints, body aches, fatigue, and a sore throat with a lesion. She sent me for autoimmune tests. The tests came back only with a diagnosis of a relapse of mononucleosis. After 6 months I still do not feel any better. My symptoms keep flaring up. I go through periods of extreme fatigue and my joints seem to ache more with muscle spasms. Plus, my recent blood tests came back very high in all three categories for EBV (Epstein–Barr virus).

Comment from: Jabberwocky, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm a 19 year old female, and I was just diagnosed with mononucleosis a few days ago. Symptoms started strange, with a headache behind my left eye. Two days later all the symptoms hit me like a train! Swollen glands, zero appetite, weakness so bad I couldn't stand up, fever, body aches, and irregular breathing. It was 2 weeks after that I got diagnosed. I started getting better for a few days, but suddenly got inflamed tonsils and sore throat, and the weakness came back. Feels like I'm dying!

Comment from: Mona, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 22

We believe my son, age 12, contracted mononucleosis late February. We didn't get an official diagnosis till March 7. Since then he has missed so much school, had to be put on a 504 medical plan to make accommodations at school, and we set up a home tutor to keep him on track. He has suffered from extreme fatigue this entire time, and abdominal pain on a constant basis. The doctor thought his stomach and esophagus were damaged by the mono, so he took Zantac for 3 weeks. Last night he was up off and on till 3 am.

Comment from: J. Lee, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I went to the emergency room 4 weeks ago with severe headaches and loss of basic energy to the point where I felt I would blackout from just walking. I tested positive with mononucleosis. This disease sucks the life out of me! The brain fog is the absolute worst and once in while I only feel like myself for a couple of hours. I am a single mother, worker, and college student. I cannot realistically take a month off for bed rest. The coconut oil ingestion does help and I started feeling better for longer.

Comment from: sickofsickness, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am a 30 year old female. I was first diagnosed with mononucleosis when I was 16 or 17. I remember my throat being so swollen I could barely even swallow my own spit. I felt completely knocked out, but I begged the doctor to go to summer camp. All I remember was sleeping. Fast forward 14 years and the virus has awakened. Started with flu like symptoms, the left side of my face was swollen for 3 months before they diagnosed EBV (Epstein-Barr virus). Fever, aches, fatigue. I don't even remember what it feels like to be healthy.

Comment from: MrSeth333, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 17

I am 36 now but at 17 I got mononucleosis. It only lasted about 5 days when I was deathly sick, after that I coughed up a huge white vein filled mass and freaked out. My doctor informed me that my tonsils had totally detached, it was a little smaller than a tennis ball but big enough to fill my mouth up; very freaky.

Comment from: MMT, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I was diagnosed with EBV (Epstein–Barr virus) on December 23, it is now April 12, and I'm still having mononucleosis symptoms that leave me debilitated some days. I have extreme exhaustion, severe weakness and muscle weakness. I get weird episodes of shakiness/tremors, aches, sore throat and congestion. When I first got it, I was so weak going to the bathroom was a hassle. I would wake up in the night a lot, feeling faint and sweaty. It has gotten better, but every time I resume my life I get worn out again and my symptoms come back.

Comment from: Livelifefun56, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I am 19, and my first symptom of infectious mononucleosis showed about a month before I was diagnosed. I had severe stomach pain on the left side so I went to the Instacare and was diagnosed with gastritis. A couple weeks later I checked and had white spots on my tonsils. I tested negative for strep, then my nodes became so swollen and painful and my tonsils so big I went to Instacare again and tested positive for mono. I’m about 2 weeks in, and the left side of my neck is so painful I can’t eat or sleep though I’m exhausted.

Comment from: R923, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I am a 32 year old fit female. No recent history of sexual activity/kissing. No idea how or when I contracted EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) or what has triggered my mononucleosis. I am a sonographer and remember it starting when I dropped my probe - my hand just gave out. The muscle aches and joint pain became so intense over the next week I went to urgent care; I was convinced I was dying. I was diagnosed with mononucleosis and acute hepatitis. Swollen hands, joint pain, extreme body aches and malaise. I wonder if anyone found EBV to be linked with anything autoimmune.

Comment from: CJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I was first diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis at age 55 after experiencing a cold that wouldn’t go away. A flare up 6 years ago put me out of work for weeks, main complaint being muscle and joint pain and overall weak feeling. Currently, I am experiencing another flare up, at age 64, and symptoms change every few days! Moved from body aches to tingling in arms, chest and face that comes and goes. I am working with a nurse practitioner to strengthen immunity. Constant struggle with depression and anxiety. Horrid virus!

Comment from: Cass102, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I first got mononucleosis when I was 20, in November. I felt immense fatigue and that feeling never seemed to go away for 2 weeks so I went to the doctor, and they diagnosed me with mono. They told me I needed bed rest and I surprisingly slept 18 hours each day for the next 3 days. Felt better three weeks later but didn’t fully shake off the fatigue until February. Fast forward to a year later, November. I got mono again, same recovery time. This was last year and I’m incredibly nervous I’ll be sick again.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I’ve had a host of mononucleosis symptoms for 5 or 6 weeks now; extreme fatigue, intermittent low grade fever, headaches, swollen/painful lymph nodes, abdominal pain, gas and bloating with diarrhea, shortness of breath, chest discomfort, severe hair loss, joint pain, and muscle aches. My doctor did a ton of lab tests for all kinds of things. The only thing that came back positive was Epstein–Barr virus (EBV). I did have mono at 19 and I’m now 53. I had no idea mono could return and no idea that all these symptoms could be related to mono.

Comment from: LisaKay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

I became sick in June with repetitive strep, mouth ulcers, and later vaginal ulcers. I was extremely worried about my immune system and the doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me. I did not get diagnosed with mononucleosis until late August when I had severe left side pain and flu like symptoms. Come to find out during that visit that mono can represent itself differently during early stages. Some people have no symptoms, others get strep, or even ulcers on their bodies.

Comment from: Branney325, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

I am 31. I started with symptoms of dizziness, weakness, and intermittent nausea. Then I got a mild sore throat for about a week. I had just started Plaquenil and thought it was side effects. Two weeks later the nausea got so Intense I couldn’t eat or drink, was very dizzy, and had malaise, fast heartrate, etc. I felt febrile but if I checked it wasn’t. I went to the emergency room where the doctor found swollen lymph nodes and labs showed mononucleosis. It’s been 2 more weeks, total of about 6 weeks since first symptom and I am still sick!

Comment from: Valeria Saenz, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I started in June with fatigue, headaches, nausea, and dizziness. In July I got diagnosed with mononucleosis, then a few week later I got more symptoms; chills, internal tremors, loss of appetite, weight loss, abdominal pain, muscular aches, pain in my knees and my nausea got worse which made me vomit all the time. I also had a lot of chest pain. I have been getting a lot of x-rays and EKG for the chest pain and they all come back fine and the doctor keeps on telling me my heart is healthy. I wonder if anyone else has had chest pain with mono.

Comment from: Albizia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I'm 31 and until this spring I'd always thought of myself as a person with a very strong immune system. Until I ended up with mononucleosis, that is (finally diagnosed correctly during the 4th fever episode). So far it's been 2 and a half months of recurrent high fever and throat infection episodes (to the point of bleeding), swollen glands, neck, back and arm pain and stiffness, dizziness, fatigue, increased heart rate during fevers, and irregular periods. Still waiting for it to go away.

Comment from: ANNIVY75, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I was a small child when I first had mononucleosis and only remember a bout in hospital. Fast forward to age 55, I had such a severe relapse, it took 2 years to have a normal life. However, since then I have had small 4-day relapses of muscle fatigue, short of breath, anxiety, severe fatigue and fog brain. I feel it coming on and fight it until I have to go to bed, working short hours and resting. I spend my time when I am ill writing children's books to get my mind off of my illness. I have good months and then I have times where the relapses are more often. I cannot find a link in doing too much. When I am feeling well I go 100 percent all the time, when I am sick I still try to stay as active as possible, I refuse to give in to this illness.

Comment from: Tired , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I am a 23 year old female who was diagnosed with mononucleosis around 2.5 months ago. It first started off with flu like symptoms, extreme fatigue, dizziness, and the whole right side of my body began twitching and tingling. Additionally, vision in my right eye became blurry. Since then I have my good and bad days but still suffer from extreme fatigue, occasional nausea, muscle aches and pains, my vision is still blurry and I have occasional twitching still on my right side. Although I did not experience a sore throat or common mono symptoms, I had random lower back pain, jaw pain, sensitive teeth, and soreness that has slowly subsided. Anything excessive I do makes this virus 10 times worse. I have had blood work done numerous times thinking that I was crazy but they all came back normal except for testing positive for Epstein-Barr virus. I hope this helps anyone else who is struggling and thinks they are losing it!

Comment from: Greg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I first had mononucleosis at the age of 18, when I was a senior in high school. Football season had just ended and it was right after the holidays. What an awful time to get sick! I had it really bad, too. Temperature around 100, extremely swollen lymph nodes in the back of my neck, and no energy at all. Just the opposite of an athletic 18 year old male. It took more than three months to get over. Fast forward to today, I'm 53 and have been diagnosed with mono, again. But, this time I'm the one that told the doctor what to look for due to the same extremely swollen glands in my neck and general malaise. Positive test! It's been a week of doing nothing and it doesn't look to be getting any better. I'm going to try going back to work, but I'm afraid it may only get worse. I don't wish this on my worst enemy!

Comment from: futureRN81, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 27

I initially got mononucleosis when I was 17 (that time period is a blur). I think I was out of class for at least a week or two, and slept a ton. I know I had to make up two classes over the summer. Fast forward 8 years later, I had a relapse of the mono. Stress from moving across country, new job, new life, and enjoying too many happy hours in the city really did me in. I remember getting lab results on 12/15, but being well enough to enjoy New Year’s Eve events two weeks later. Now I'm 34 years old. I'm a full time nursing student (career switcher), and was just diagnosed with yet another relapse of mono. I've been sick for 16 days, and last night my fever was 101.5. I put my gym membership on hold, and am pretty much on bed rest when I'm not in class or clinical. This is the absolute worst. I don't know if this round is so bad because I'm older, or if it is because I was also diagnosed with Lyme disease at the same time. I'm exhausted and getting really worried that this is going to go on and on for a very long time. My current symptoms are headache, fatigue, fever every night, night sweats, and lack of appetite.

Comment from: monosucks, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am 38 years old, female, and was just diagnosed with mononucleosis, even though I have been feeling terrible for several months off and on. I feel nauseous, internal chills with no fever, night sweats, extreme pain in my hair follicles (so weird) and swollen lymph nodes behind ears. I also have sore throat, headaches and major fatigue to where it is extremely difficult to keep my eyes open. My husband is currently going through chemotherapy and I need to be the rock right now. We have two small children and I work full time. I cannot be this ill while my husband is too. I am panicked.

Comment from: Courtney, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

With infectious mononucleosis I had swollen lymph nodes, swollen tonsils, a swollen liver, muscle aches, fatigue, muscle weakness, joint pain, a fever, and headaches. Lots of fun.

Comment from: Kara, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I am a 41 year old mom and consider myself very active and in good shape. I was at my son's baseball game on July 11th, when I started feeling weird, I had pain in my fingertips and my whole body started to ache. I went home and lay down, and I couldn't get out of bed for 3 days! I had all over body aches, worse than I have ever had in my life; I truly thought I was dying. I had terrible night sweats and kept getting very hot and then very cold. I imagine I had a fever but was too ill to get up to check. After I was well enough to drag myself to the doctor, I tested positive for mononucleosis. Two days ago marked 6 months of struggling with this virus. I have extreme fatigue and my body aches are still very present, not responsive to OTC Tylenol or Advil. I am miserable and I too, want my life back! I am told that only rest will help, specifically 3 plus weeks of lying in bed doing nothing! I am a mom of 6, I work, and have a lot of cleaning, laundry, homework-helping, etc. That kind of rest is not an option! I wish there was a cure for this virus. I also wish someone could tell me when I will feel normal again!

Comment from: Sharona80, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I'm 53 and have rheumatoid arthritis (RA), for which I use Enbrel. For the last 8 months, I've had unexplained pancreatitis. I've been exhausted, had severe muscle and joint pain for months, but I chalked it up to my RA. I blamed the Enbrel for the pain and fatigue. Last week, I woke up and I had swollen lymph nodes that I didn't even know existed. I literally could see the nodes in my groin, armpits, near my collarbone and in my neck. They didn't hurt, though. I saw my nurse practitioner (NP), and she examined me and found more swollen nodes. She told me I most likely had mononucleosis. Mono! I didn't even have a sore throat! She told me that mono can cause chronic pancreatitis. Test came back today positive for mono. Unfortunately, there isn't a treatment for my type of mono; just rest and it could take up to three months to get better. Thank goodness for that NP, because every other doctor told me my symptoms were from stress and that my depression needed to be treated more aggressively. I wasn't depressed; I was discouraged because no one was listening to me! Best wishes to those of you going through this. It is awful!

Comment from: tsarge, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 04

I'm a 44 year old fit male. I started with a really bad cough and congestion in April. It felt like seasonal allergies. Never went away. Not until my second doctor’s visit was I tested positive for mononucleosis! I'm in a high stress job so this isn't what I needed. No energy, sore throat, crazy amount of mucus, and crazy bad rash on both arms that hasn't gone away after 2 months. Advil, Tylenol and rest are what help but I want my life back!

Comment from: Dr deb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I had mononucleosis as a teen, it began with a rash, then severe headache and very high fever. Test results came back positive for mono. Later in life I would run fevers and be tired for no reason. A friend who is doctor told me that mono can flare up repeatedly! Now I'm much older, whenever I exercise too much I get sick with tiredness, aches, fever and headache. I did a 3 hour mountain climb recently and then ran a fever up to 102 F with headache and 4 days later still running the fever, 100 F maximum, and headache.

Comment from: Ifeellikeimdyinglol, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I'm now 19 years old. I was first diagnosed with mononucleosis in January when I was still 18 (about 2 months ago), and my worst symptoms were sore throat, swollen tonsils, and fatigue. I'm an athlete and a college student, so I had to stay away from school for a week and away from my sport for 4 weeks. My tonsils were so swollen, they were almost touching. I couldn't even swallow my own spit, so my doctor put me on a steroid and the swelling went down enough for me to eat after a few days. However, getting out of bed was out of the question for a solid couple weeks. Anyway, after I went back to school and started feeling better, I got cleared to start playing my sport again and everything. Three weeks later and I'm sick again with mono. I relapsed and it's so much worse this time. My tonsils were swollen and pus-filled again, my gums are swollen, I have canker sores in my mouth, and I get really bad stomach aches and heartburn when I try to eat. I've already lost 11 pounds in 5 days. My headaches at the beginning were so bad that I would cry with every step I took. I'm also congested on top of everything. I'm sure I'm leaving something out because there's just too many symptoms to keep track of. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. If you have mono and you're reading this, I sincerely hope you feel better. Take care of your body the first time you have it so you don't relapse.

Comment from: Jl787, Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I was 16 when I was diagnosed with mononucleosis. I really didn't know what it was though I had heard of it before. It started with a fever that escalated into a very bad sore throat and my throat only started to get worse, something I've never felt before. When I went to go see what was wrong with my throat my tonsils were the problem, they were so swollen with patches of white surrounding it. Only one side of my neck was in pain, really weird. When I found out I was diagnosed with mono I only knew things would get worse before getting better. I do understand that I won't see myself getting better for a while.

Comment from: CrazyMono, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 19

I'm 46 years old. It seems like I had mononucleosis since the beginning of November 2014 but did not get diagnosed with EBV (Epstein–Barr virus) until mid-December 2014. I had to suggest an EBV blood test from my primary care doctor. After the New Year of 2015, I started to feel better but I can tell that I'm weak as I cannot weightlift like I used to. But this past week, I started to feel very weak, and have dizziness, low grade fever, and brain fog.

Comment from: Recovering Slowly, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 09

I have been fairly healthy with an occasional cold once in a while. My 74 year old mother had severe osteoarthritis and I had to stop working to take care of her. In November 2014, I caught a severe cold on the 5th and recovered after 10 days which is longer than usual because I had to still cook meals and some household chores, in addition, to helping my mother. After my mother had her hip surgery in December 2014, I spent 3 to 12 hours at the hospital, doctor's offices, and rehabilitation. On December 23rd, I became very sick with severely sore throat, fatigue, coughing, sinus congestion, loss of appetite, and overall weakness. I was sweating so much that despite drinking 1.5 liters of water, I did not need to go to the bathroom. When I recovered from most of the cold symptoms, I still felt very tired, and weak unlike anything I felt in the past. I decided to get a checkup and had an extensive blood test. I was shocked to hear I have mononucleosis. I thought mono was something which afflicts teenagers and college students. I honestly believe that I caught the virus at the doctors' offices, hospital or rehab because I spend the majority of my time at home alone when I am not taking my mother to her doctor's appointments or visiting her at the rehab. There are days when I feel better, then, I have a moderate sore throat and painfully swollen lymph nodes in my throat, no appetite, weakness, upper left abdominal pain ( one episode lasting 1 to 2 hours daily), and extreme fatigue. It is now 5 weeks and I am forcing myself to eat despite having no appetite. I am so happy to encounter this site and reading about other people's experiences. I had been extremely depressed and scared that so much time has passed and do not understand why I do not feel better yet when I have been fairly healthy and slim my entire life. I will be getting another blood test soon. Hope I get well soon because work is piling up due to my brain not working properly and extreme fatigue.

Comment from: madrilenya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I´m 38 years old. I was diagnosed with mono about 2 weeks ago though I had symptoms for one month before that. My doctor told me that I was also exhausted. My symptoms were swollen lymph nodes in my groin and on one side of my neck, plus one swollen node under my chin. I had fever and bad headaches for about 3 days and general malaise for two weeks. I was depressed, my eyes were more sensitive to the light and I had a little cough but no sore throat at all. I was relieved when my doctor told me that mono is not serious and very common. Now the nodes are going down very well but I have funny sensations in my neck sometimes. I suffer patchy spells of extreme tiredness which I recognize as not normal because I´m very fit and active. I get shivers if I´m in an air conditioned room when other people are fine. Occasionally I feel nauseous after eating. A medical student friend tells me that you can get mono from drinking from a dirty glass, or even a dentist!! I feel I´m getting better and I eat tons of fish, salads and fruit as always, but my recovery is much slower than I expected. I´m glad to read that it´s ok not to be 100% fit after 6 weeks because I started to worry. Your page has helped.

I found out I had mono about 2 months ago. I've always slept a lot like any normal 18 year old but I had been getting so tired I would sleep for 12 hours and still be exhausted when I woke up. One morning I woke up to the worst sore throat I have ever had and very swollen glands in my neck. I went to my doctor a few days later and she immediately sent me to an ear nose and throat doctor because my tonsils were so swollen they were almost closing my throat. The ENT doctor took one look and said it was mono. I was put on steroids amoxicillin and pain medication. It hurt too much to swallow my own spit let alone any meds and all I could do was basically drool to avoid swallowing. I was brought to the emergency room. I was down to 97 pounds with no strength or energy left. Out of school and work for a month. Now 2 months later I have relapsed and am very sick again. All of the same symptoms are back and worse. Tonsils will be coming out but that won't get rid of the mono. Aches and pains and swollen glands and UTI are back. This has been the worst illness I've experienced ever. I pray it goes away but I know that won't be happening anytime soon.

Comment from: butzha1, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

Starting my third week of the/a virus. The acute phase lasted 4 to 5 days but for the fatigue, and then my neck on my left side became so stiff and sore. I finally had the EBV (Epstein-Barr virus) lab test drawn but it was negative. I am frustrated because I worry what if it isn't mononucleosis, what else then.

Comment from: Mono, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 19

My son was really sick for 2 weeks. I took him to the hospital and they said it was the mononucleosis virus. He was in hospital for 3 weeks, then I went home with him but he was still sick. He was tired, didn’t eat, his stomach hurt, and he was sleeping the whole time. I took him back to the hospital and stayed a week. They did all kinds of tests and at the end they said it was inflammation in blood cells and juvenile arthritis. They gave prescription for the inflammation of blood cells and stomach pain, and it went away.

Comment from: 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

With infectious mononucleosis (mono), I have pain in throat to no feeling in throat.

Comment from: Eric, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I am 34, I suspect I have mononucleosis, also presenting swollen (really huge) tonsil in the right side only. All the pains are also on the right side. It started with acute neck and shoulder pain, mild sore throat, right tonsil exudate, and very mild fever. I felt really tired the first 4 days. I am recovering but the neck pain is the most troubling, it is almost same symptoms as of a herniated disc. Really surprises me, this asymmetry of the disease.

Comment from: sickofbeingsick, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I am a 30 year old male and I just got diagnosed with mono 2 days ago. I thought this was just something teenagers contracted from kissing, people always made jokes about it in high school but it is no laughing matter. I unfortunately did not get it from kissing, I have no idea how I contracted it. The symptoms were going on for about a month and I thought that I just had a stubborn flu but then I woke up one morning to weak to get out of bed and decided to go to the ER where I was diagnosed. The sore throats have been ridiculous, I can barely eat because of the abdominal discomfort, and the fatigue is the worst I have EVER felt in my life. I get night sweats and chills from the on-again off-again fever. I can sympathize with anyone who has caught this nasty bug as an adult. Hopefully things will get easier.

I am now 56, but I became ill with mono when I was 28 years old. My symptoms of severe sore throat, enlarged lymph nodes, and muscle and joint pain persisted for 3 months. After 3 months, I developed an enlargement of the liver, so my doctor gave my Cortizone, which I responded favorable to. In hindsight, I believe my fibromyalgia began one month after I got over mono. The muscle pain and deep tissue knots are something I live with every day.

Comment from: missummer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I was first diagnosed with mononucleosis 6 months ago. Symptoms were gone a week after diagnosis, but I may have been infected weeks before being diagnosed. Since I have a sleep disorder, fatigue is norm for me. A week ago, I had a recurrence of mono symptoms and I was again diagnosed with mono. I live alone, don’t share any dishware, etc., or engage in any transmittable behaviors. I miss being with friends but assume I'm contagious. Wondering if a face mask would be effective in keeping my mono to myself.

Comment from: Luisa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I wonder if anybody got chest pain with mononucleosis like I did.

Comment from: Cindy, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 09

I had cold and chills, I wonder if they are side effects of mononucleosis.

Comment from: tessa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 34 year old female and was diagnosed with mono back in October. My symptoms included dizziness, headaches, sore throat, and just an overall feeling of 'being off,' or brain fog. I also had a tremendous amount of head pain in the back of head near my skull, which was I believe related to lymph node enlargement. The fatigue was incredible. For those of you who need some encouragement, I did some research on the benefits of coconut oil and mono and it has helped tremendously. I feel like a new person! Mono is a very nasty virus and can make you quite ill.

Comment from: Shadrach, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am a 68-year-old retired nurse. The end of September 2014, I got so tired that I wished I could collapse. My doctor diagnosed mono! I have had fever, headache, severe muscle aches, marked fatigue, and I could sleep anywhere, anytime. I did not dream a woman my age could get mono. My electric blanket helps.

Comment from: Abarrow1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 26 and I am currently on week four of mono with bronchitis. I never had a sore throat but, I also don't have tonsils. I have had fevers and chills, then extreme sweating and vomiting. This has all been going on about 4 weeks and while I was starting to actually have some good moments, I still feel very ill.

Comment from: Femmevixen, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I'm a 28 year old fit female, and this virus has done quite a number! It started with fatigue maybe five weeks ago. Especially after eating, I would feel fatigued all the time and I had a decreased appetite with nausea. The nausea went away, but when my menstrual cycle started last month the fatigue became extreme. All of a sudden I had join pain, leg stiffness, and tingling feelings in my legs and toes. I visited the doctor several times before they ran blood tests. When they took the blood I was so fatigued with back of the neck pain I almost threw up and fainted. Tests came back, all levels were normal in the body, but EBV was positive.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I went to the ENT specialist for severe sinusitis. He ran blood tests and told me I had active EBV and my neck glands swollen. That explained why I was getting fever and chills, aches and pains and feeling tired. He put me on bulk vitamins and vitamin B shots. That was about 6 weeks ago and I gradually recovered. Just last weekend I started getting what I thought was a cold. I had a sore throat, runny nose, sticky eyes, and a headache. Then I started feeling achy again. It's not as bad as last time but I hope it passes soon. I'm trying to take better care of myself.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I was diagnosed with mono about 10 months ago. It started with abdominal pains. I got an ultrasound, and had an enlarged spleen. They then tested me for mono, and I tested positive. Five months passed, and I still had these pains. Another blood test showed that I didn't have mono anymore, but I still have the pains. A month ago, I got a CT scan because I still had these pains. All the CT showed was that my spleen was still enlarged. I have no idea if it's my body still recovering from mono. Either way, these pains are really annoying. I constantly am reminded of the pains and they give me constant anxiety. I wish this upon no one.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW