Infectious Mononucleosis

What treatment was effective for your mononucleosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Malinda, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 21

My daughter at age 2 years was diagnosed with mononucleosis. The doctor at that time prescribed she should suck on lollypops frequently, to give her more energy and sugar I guess, and aspirin for the fever. We did that with her for several weeks till the disease subsided. This happened over 50 years ago. Thought it would be of interest to some today.

Comment from: erin_g, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I was diagnosed with mononucleosis in August of 2015 at 29 years of age. I had a severe case where I was hospitalized for 6 days with pneumonia caused by the virus. I was really sick for about six weeks; after which I began to recover. It was a long process and I haven't felt 100 percent since. Here we are six months later and I am now having a lot of the same symptoms that I had with the initial outbreak but I don't have a fever. I have abdominal pain, foggy brain, chronic fatigue, an upset stomach, headaches, and muscle weakness and muscle spasms. My doctor said that I could have symptoms for up to a few years after the initial infection. I have been to the doctor and the emergency room and all of my blood work looks fine. It started with a cold about four weeks ago. I have been out of it ever since. I find it difficult to focus and think, and I feel like I am stoned all of the time. If this is because of mono, I wonder if there is any light at the end of the tunnel and if I will ever feel normal again.

Comment from: Vic, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was not feeling well for three months, shortly after my college semester ended. I kept on going to the doctors, they all said everything is clear. I went to the emergency room on Sunday, it was the same as what my doctors said. Tuesday I went to my doctor, got tested for mononucleosis and found out today that I had mono, but now it is an old infection. It is a relief that it is no longer active, now I just need to get back on track.

Comment from: Ann, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

When I got mono in 1971, I developed a severe strep throat. All my lymph glands were swollen. My spleen and liver were swollen. I had a fever for three solid months. It took 10 years to get lymph glands not swelling and liver function tests back to normal.

Comment from: J, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I got a sore throat. I sneezed for a bit, and I had a fever and a general sick feeling. The worst part was the extreme fatigue and weakness. I am over the sickness and the extreme fatigue, but I have plateaued at feeling generally tired and foggy for 8 weeks now. I was hoping I would be back to normal. I am still operating at about half my normal capacity. I find if I pace myself and don't over do it, it is more manageable. I am frustrated and want to be better now!

Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease

Omori, Michael S. "Mononucleosis in Emergency Medicine." July 24, 2018. Medscape.com. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/784513-overview>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Epstein-Barr Virus and Infectious Mononucleosis." <http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/ebv.htm>.