Muscle Strain (cont.)
What Are Symptoms and Signs of a Muscle Strain?
- Swelling, bruising or redness, or open cuts as a consequence of the injury
- Pain in the affected muscle at rest
- Pain when the specific muscle or the joint in relation to that muscle is used
- Weakness sensation of the associated muscle or tendons (A sprain, in contrast, is an injury to a joint and its ligaments.)
- Inability to use the affected muscle at all
Ultimately, the symptoms depend on the muscle affected and the severity of the injury. Here is a listing of various muscles with the corresponding location and other corresponding symptoms:
- Intercostal muscle: pain between the ribs; pain with throwing or chopping motion
- Abdominal muscle: pain with sit-up or "crunch" motion of belly
- Calf muscle: pain in back of lower leg with walking or running; limping
- Lumbar back muscle: pain with bending over and returning to erect position
- Rhomboid muscle: pain with rowing motion
- Neck muscle: pain with movement of the head in direction of strained muscle or twisting the neck
- Trapezius muscle: pain with pulling down from an overhead position
- Adductor muscle: pain when squeezing knees together
- Quadriceps muscle: pain when extending the knee from a flexed position
- Hip flexor muscles: pain when flexing the thigh into the body at the hip
- Gluteal muscle: pain when walking or running up hills or stairs
- Hamstring muscle: pain when accelerating during sprinting
- Bicep muscle: pain when curling (lifting) against resistance at the elbow
When Should Someone Seek Medical Care for a Muscle Strain?
If one has a significant muscle injury (or if the home care methods bring no relief in 24 hours), call a doctor.
If someone hears a "popping" sound with the injury, cannot walk, or there is significant swelling, pain, fever, or open cuts, he or she should be examined in a hospital's emergency department.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/29/2017
Must Read Articles Related to Muscle Strain
What is a CT scan? Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are important diagnostic tools for a variety of medical conditions. Some areas of the body frequentl...learn more >>
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a scanner that takes cross-sectional images of the body. It is used to evaluate tissues of the head, neck, chest, limbs, abd...learn more >>
Sprains and Strains
An injury to a ligament is called a sprain, while an injury to a muscle or tendon is called a strain. Symptoms and signs include pain, swelling, bruising, and d...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Muscle Strain: