Muscle Strain

How long did it take for you to recover from your muscle strain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Megan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 14

I pulled a muscle in my inner thigh while bending over from gardening about 8 months ago, and the area still hurts as much as ever. Motrin has slightly helped, but I find a heating pad for about 1/2 hour at least once a day gives the most relief, but even that is only if I don't bear any weight, or limit walking in addition. I am someone who has never had aches or pains my entire life, and this muscle pull has really limited my mobility. I read an article that was geared toward athletes with suggested exercises and thought it might help. It made things worse! The thought of this going on for years is too awful to even consider. My mind wants to travel and do a million things. My leg aches just limit everything. I'm always looking for new ideas to help with this problem, this is how I found this web page. So far I haven't read anything new or great as a solution.

Comment from: LTC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 16

I hurt the muscles and tendons in my inner elbow weight training. Total time until I was able to lift again was 6 months and still not as strong as it was. A bicep strain healed within 4 weeks.

Comment from: Sunil, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I have muscle pain in upper back at shoulder. Pain developed because of injury while lifting/pushing heavy industrial load. Doctor applied belladona plaster half the length below the painful area. Then he lifted up the plaster along with the skin and stuck the remaining portion above the painful area. Thus strain in the painful muscle was taken over by the plaster tape. The pain got relieved in 30 seconds. Note that belladona medicine didn't relieve the pain but the adhesive plaster simply transferred the load from painful muscle to the plaster and then to other muscles. After keeping it for 4 days, the sore muscle got recovered. I took no pain relieving tablet. This was done on me by a doctor once. Later I have replicated it on my wife and a friend. It works. Once I got it done on me with the help of my wife.

Comment from: Okinawa05, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I got a muscle strain from coughing. My pain is on the top left of my rib. It hurts when I do anything and I am still coughing hard because I am sick so I can't give it any rest. I am concerned that I may make it worse. I haven't tried ice yet. That is my next step!

• Muscle Strain - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your muscle strain?

Post View 10 Comments

Heftler, Jeffrey M. "Hamstring Strain." Medscape.com. May 29, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/
article/307765-overview>.

Kirkendall, Donald T., and William E. Garrett Jr. "Muscle Strain Injuries: Research Findings and Clinical Applicability." Medscape.com. <https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/715533>.

Klippel, John H., et al., eds. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. 13th ed. New York: Springer and Arthritis Foundation, 2008.