Muscle Strain

What treatment has been effective for your muscle strain? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sandi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

My calf muscle pull was felt immediately. I went home and iced it as much as I could and wrapped it with an Ace bandage. I kept my foot elevated every time I sat down. After 3 days, I took some magnesium powder and put a compression sleeve on it for the next 2 weeks. It's been 5 weeks and I pretty much have a full recovery. I can't completely do a downward dog on that side but I believe that complete motion will be back soon.

Comment from: AnitaATM, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 13

My doctor said that I had a mishap. I picked up a heavy package the wrong way and was screaming in pain a few hours later. He checked my blood, urine, lung X-ray but did not actually acknowledge that I was hurt. My entire upper body was involved at all levels. I am doing at-home treatment for the muscle strain: cold, heat, rest, and aspirin. The pain moves around, sometimes covering an entire area, but other times just a few hot spots. I've never experienced like this before and am miserable and hoping for recovery.

Comment from: Daz, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I pulled the muscles in my abdomen. I had a check but no hernia, thank goodness. I wonder how long it takes to heal. I got it through coughing.

Comment from: Petunia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I tripped on a rug and onto a tile floor headfirst. In order to not slam my face into the tile I put both hands and palms down to break the impact. My face was spared, but my arms are still killing me. X-rays showed no breaks, but I cannot straighten out my arms or lift them above my head. Trying to brush my hair and getting dressed is a really painful effort. I saw my primary care physician who sent me for x-rays only. I also went to an orthopedic doctor. It has been 5 weeks since I fell, I feel something is really wrong.

Comment from: Attie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I had an accident with my scooter and fell on my left leg, which became very blue and swollen. The blood has moved down to the knee but the leg is still very swollen and painful.

Comment from: S girl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

The only symptoms I have are mild pain while at rest. The severe pain and weakness occur when trying to climb a flight of stairs. I am prone to Charlie horses in my calves and this pain feel kind of like a Charlie horse that won't relax. Thus far the only thing that is helping is staying off of it.

Comment from: muscletear, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I tore a muscle in my foot about a month ago, near the heel. My general doctor told me not to take any anti-inflammatory medications. My podiatrist told me it was ok to take them and seemed puzzled by this. I am taking some prescription pain medicine and am in a wheelchair, walking boot with an orthotic inserted, use crutches around the house, am icing the area and keeping it elevated. I was also placed on a leave from work for four weeks so I can focus on getting better. I hope it heals quickly.

Comment from: lane709, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

My strain is in the muscle on the lower top part of my right arm - near the elbow. Problem is I am right-handed and live alone, so I can't give it the required rest. All activity hurts it.

Comment from: sassy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I strained a muscle in my back. After that I applied ice, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off. Doing this relieved the pain quite a bit, and I also took 600mg of ibuprofen every six hours.

Comment from: tennis player, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I went to osteopath/acupuncturist and I have muscle tear. Massage and acupuncture were given first and second weeks. The pain in buttocks gone but I still have pain in hamstring. Exercises given, stopped playing tennis and doing some gentle walking, seems to be working.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Physical therapy made my muscle strain worse. Trigger-point injections were only temporary. Cortisone was a nightmare, as it crystallized. And my workmen's comp agent refused an MRI. The pain is still unbearable after a month.

For muscle strain, ice has helped the best!!

• Muscle Strain - Recovery Time

How long did it take for you to recover from your muscle strain?

Post View 4 Comments

Heftler, Jeffrey M. "Hamstring Strain." Medscape.com. May 29, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/
article/307765-overview>.

Kirkendall, Donald T., and William E. Garrett Jr. "Muscle Strain Injuries: Research Findings and Clinical Applicability." Medscape.com. <https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/715533>.

Klippel, John H., et al., eds. Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases. 13th ed. New York: Springer and Arthritis Foundation, 2008.