Neuropathy

What were the symptoms of your neuropathy? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shepard, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

My neuropathy symptoms are pain and numbness of tips of toes and fingers, progressing to feeling as if I was walking on sandpaper or handling same. Pain got worse as chemotherapy progressed and with usage after. Good days start with pain in feet and hands and end with pain radiating up legs and arms. Bad days start agonizing and end worse.

Comment from: Magwolf, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

The neuropathy starts with the toes. All ten of them feel like they are broken. Then my feet are burning with pins and needles plus an occasional spike hammered in for the hell of it. Then the fire ants start on my legs. They march up each leg never stopping or even taking a break. When they reach my waist I have either to be asleep or taken an opiate pain pill because if neither of these things are happening, then I am screaming. I also have numbness from my nipples to my toes. Funny how you can be in so much pain but still be numb. I have to be careful in the shower. My lower back does not feel the heat from the water. I can also lose track of my feet so I am at high risk for falling. I also have what I call skin pressure pain. If I press against anything or if you squeeze my legs I will have a sharp pain at that point. It is kind of weird, first the pressure point pain, then the numbness below that, then the deeper nerve pain.

Comment from: EDWARD, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have total pain in my feet, and legs; burning sensation, needles and all. I have diabetes under control, I cannot sleep at night, I have to constantly move my feet around. I am already taking gabapentin for my neuropathy and it does not help at all.

Comment from: patient2112, Male (Patient) Published: January 23

It is all about learning to cope in the end. Years after a spinal fusion of my L4-L5 I began to have severe burning pain on the pads of my left foot. I also had odd sensations and tingling. I never knew the pads of my feet could hurt so badly. Later my left leg began to also have tingling and odd sensations. But the pain was bearable unless I overdid it and then I would get streaking electrical type pains. A nerve conduction test confirmed neuropathy. It is suspected that scar tissue from my surgery was the culprit. After some time the worst pain in the pads of my feet simply subsided while the other symptoms changed and got worse. I still have pain in my foot and leg but it is more sporadic and not the pads of my foot. I'm grateful for that. At times I wanted to peel them off. Fast forward a few years and I began to have a heavy odd feeling when sitting, in my groin. It felt like I was sitting on a tennis ball. This got worse and soon I was having twisting, burning, tingling, and tightness whenever I sat down. And this led to unbearable pain. This also has been diagnosed as neuropathy, affecting my pudendal nerve. This is no fun, I would not wish it on anyone. But the cause is unknown although my back issues and scar tissue are often cited. It is not conclusive. Going to good hospitals has helped me find better treatment and cope better. Medications help a bit but coping skills and mindfulness saved me. I never thought I would say that. Now it is more painful to lie down then sit. Sleep is very difficult. Sex hurts. Bathroom issues. I've been to physiotherapy and everything else I and just feel I am getting worse and worse. I also have psoriasis and my mother suffers from severe neuropathy and minor psoriasis I believe there is an anti-immune disorder at play here but I guess I will never know.

Comment from: Ushyna, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I started to get this cold feeling inside my right thigh. As long as I massaged it, it would get better or go away. One time I just let it feel cold and did nothing and suddenly it felt as if somebody poured boiling water on my thigh, it was very painful. It feels cold most nights, I rub it some and lie on my left side, and then everything feels normal. A few times I had this awful pain in my thigh that it woke me up, I had fallen asleep lying on my back. Now I always have to lie on my left side, which is no fun if you can't change positions every once in a while. I have no problems other than this neuropathy, I am 77 years old.

Comment from: roger, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 01

I have absolutely no pain in my feet, except for numbness. I just got back from Europe and walking was no problem. I did get an infection on the bottom of one foot and after treatment with antibiotics, I've no further problems. But I'm very careful where I walk. I've had these neuropathy symptoms for decades, but each decade they get a little worse. I do not have diabetes. I'm very active.

SLIDESHOW